Look for prices a carpenter charges for jobs. New start up business. Self employed.

The reason I asked how long it takes you to hang a door was because that first and foremost will be a major factor in you setting your price. No you wont charge by the hour, you will give the customer a price but you can then 'convert' the labour element to an hourly rate. thats how price work works. No point charging $40 to hang a door and you can only hang a few a day. That's how all quotes/price work work. Comes back to Johndoes post, his points about underpricing and overpricing are therefore very relevant.

so how much are you going to charge to hang a door?

Do you *really"? think he's listening?

Again. Mis quoted. I was genuinely asking: If I give somene a price to hang a door, would they expect door jambs and facings to be included? I am asking if, in Australia, this is the norm. Things will be different in Austrslia. By what is said above it looks like I have to ask. If someone called me today asking for a quote to fit a door, I'd give them a price for just that. If on the day, they were looking for jambs and facings included I'd politely tell them to ---- off! Insert your own word.

I have apologised for my earlier rant. Again, I thank EVERYONE, for their input.

Again. Mis quoted. I was genuinely asking: If I give somene a price to hang a door, would they expect door jambs and facings to be included? I am asking if, in Australia, this is the norm. Things will be different in Austrslia. By what is said above it looks like I have to ask. If someone called me today asking for a quote to fit a door, I'd give them a price for just that. If on the day, they were looking for jambs and facings included I'd politely tell them to ---- off!

Why? Why would you voice that here? It's a long time since I was self employed but I'm not "getting" this conversation at all?

Why would you tell them to----off instead of simply asking them what they expected to be included in the quote?..................and surely, without seeing the job, it wouldn't be a quote but an estimate? I know you don't have to "see" how to hang a door, but surely it needs to be clear, that your quote is based on the clients info provided and there could be other costs involved...............I've seen architraves literally fall away from walls (in old Qld'ers) when door fitting was in progress

You're right. I would never tell tell someone to ---- off! But can you not see what I mean? Again, going kinda off topic here but hey, that seems to be the way of things here. I was simply asking for the price on "fitting a door" not "fitting a door and a.......and a...... and a...... and so on and so forth. I understand people have all sorts of business degrees and qualification and want to help out in their own way. I'm trying not to sound rude in any way but I'm not asking what people "think" things should cost. I'm asking "what" they actually do cost. Everyone has their own way of running their business. Some right some wrong and sometimes both and neither. I prefer to offer the best value and put the extra hours in to make "what I need" eg: cheapest competitor is $100 to fit a door. He does 6 a day. I'd try to do $90 per door and fit 7 a day. Can you turn round to me and say this is wrong and know you are 100 percent right. Do customers not look for value in Australia? Is there not the option on Aussie websites for "lowest price first" etc. These are all questions I never thought I'd be asking. I know not all people look for the lowest price, but my target customer does. If you are fitting one of the cheapest doors on the market, you're more often than not looking for the fitting on the cheap too. I really didn't want to bore everyone with the tedium of business management but it seems to be what people on the forum want. Again I apologise if this is too blunt or forthright for some people but am trying to steer back on track with the topic.

Again. Mis quoted. I was genuinely asking: If I give somene a price to hang a door, would they expect door jambs and facings to be included? I am asking if, in Australia, this is the norm. Things will be different in Austrslia. By what is said above it looks like I have to ask. If someone called me today asking for a quote to fit a door, I'd give them a price for just that. If on the day, they were looking for jambs and facings included I'd politely tell them to ---- off! Insert your own word.

I have apologised for my earlier rant. Again, I thank EVERYONE, for their input.

I havent misquoted anything, Lets go back to my original question, Ok, how much to hang 1 door by itself? And how much to hang a door, after you have fitted a new jamb and the fit the architraves (facings to you I assume)

Cant comment on Brisbane as I have only worked in NSW (Sydney mostly) and its vastly different out here to the uk . Have you got your licence sorted ?

are you shipping all your tools and where are you going to get your work from as work in Brisbane is a bit slow at the moment by all accounts, I think you would be best to get some work on site to start with and get some basic experience.

good luck with your move.

Can we get out of the "extras" loop? I'll leave architraves and the likes for another post. Why are you asking me how much will I charge to fit a door. If I knew that I wouldn't be here now, would I. Lol.

My question is and was always supposed to be this: how much were YOU charged to have your doors fitted? Just the doors with basic ironmongery. Basic ironmongery being a pair of butt hinges 102mm. A tubular mortise latch and a pair of entrance handles, lever or knob style. I didn't think I needed to be as detailed with the question. Thank you for correcting my terminology on the facings. I've learnt something today. Any further corrections welcomed.

Hopefully This time I don't upset anyone. Doubt it though ?

Can we get out of the "extras" loop? I'll leave architraves and the likes for another post. Why are you asking me how much will I charge to fit a door. If I knew that I wouldn't be here now, would I. Lol.

My question is and was always supposed to be this: how much were YOU charged to have your doors fitted? Just the doors with basic ironmongery. Basic ironmongery being a pair of butt hinges 102mm. A tubular mortise latch and a pair of entrance handles, lever or knob style. I didn't think I needed to be as detailed with the question. Thank you for correcting my terminology on the facings. I've learnt something today. Any further corrections welcomed.

Hopefully This time I don't upset anyone. Doubt it though 

Ok then, how long does it take you to fit a door?

<p>

50 minutes to 2 hours.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

I'm gonna regret this. But why do you need to know that?</p>

Why would you need to know that? It's a fundamental part to working out how much to charge. So in an 8 hr day you would fit between 3.5 and 7.5 doors. Now work out how much you need to put food on the table, pay the mortgage, insurances, tools, van/ute etc etc.

now if you looked at a job and you know you could only fit 3 doors in the day and then you would not have time to start another then you would price it accordingly, so you may be charging $80-100per door. If you were to fit 7 as they were quite easy then you would probably charge $50-60 per door. You would not charge the same for fitting 7 doors as you would for 3. You would also need to look at the individual location of the jobs you were potentially going to do as well. Congestion can be a nightmare.

have you enquired about your contractors licence out there? I know someone mentioned it before.

Edited by wakeboard1980

As I said I really think you would be best to say work for a company either as a employee or sub contracting ,get to know the terminology we use out here get some experience and get some contacts.

Out here you are legally required to pay into a super fund if you work for yourself the current rate is 9.25% on top of what you pay yourself, a employer would have to do this.

A lot of companies will only take sub contractors if they are a ltd company more expense.

Lots ts to think about

So as I said in my first post " I charge £25-40 per door..." Yeah! Prices are different depending on quantity. But i wasn't asking for help on calculating my own pricing structure. I was looking for stats. Real people's experices. Comparisons. But never mind the small details. Some people got it and helped. Others tried, in their own way and I should have been more grateful. By the way. I live in one of the busiest cities in the UK. I've done my fair share of congestion. Leaving at 6am, arriving at 6.45 to start at 8am. (I love my flask) I have the t-shirt. I've seen the other posts on congestion and tolls too)

Yes. ABN's, white/blue cards, insurance, super etc etc. All on another post. Baby steps. Right?

What can I say? I'm a simple guy looking for simple things. And yes! There are simple answers to what I asked for. The rest can wait, for now.

Again, I hope this doesn't put anyone's nose out of joint. Apologies again if I have. This time, it is not intentional.

Guest Guest66881

$85 a door to hang it - plus door cost - plus a frame if needed as most here are metal anyway.

Some older houses have wooden frames, so i would be guessing at about $40 per frame or a full price all in of about $120 maybe?

Doors can be expensive as can door furniture and some furniture requires more fixing time than others as they have several parts.

Were you drunk last night when you wrote the above post?:laugh:Anyway.....have you tried tapping in "Carpenters"in the search bar of the forum?I just did,and it came up with loads posts,so you could send a pm to someone on there or read through posts to find the info you need.The thing is with a forum,is you will have lots of replies,which might not be specific to your question.You have to expect posters to ask other questions,have you considered whatever,did you know such and such applies,etc!It can actually be quite helpful.Don't get stressed,just go with the flow,the aussie way!:cute: