Traveling as Australian Citizen with UK passport

Peach

Hi, I received my Aussie citizenship last week and have just been informed of a funeral in the UK that I should attend. Obviously haven't had time to get my Australian passport sorted. Anyone have experience of traveling between Australia and the UK on a British passport? (I realise the rules say you shouldn't).

Hi, I received my Aussie citizenship last week and have just been informed of a funeral in the UK that I should attend. Obviously haven't had time to get my Australian passport sorted. Anyone have experience of traveling between Australia and the UK on a British passport? (I realise the rules say you shouldn't).

You can travel out but not back in. You can apply for an emergency passport here - you can get it same day. Other than that depends how long you are going back to UK for as you could apply for your passport there.

You can travel out but not back in. You can apply for an emergency passport here - you can get it same day. Other than that depends how long you are going back to UK for as you could apply for your passport there.

I know you're trying to help but, the citizenship website says "People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays", I am happy to face some difficulty or delay - just trying to quantify it. Also, according the website emergency passports take at least 48 hours (plus postage time) to be processed. I will only be in the UK for 7 days most, so no time to apply from there either.

Peach from memory you are in Canberra so you could apply in person by visiting DFAT at the RG Casey Building in Barton.

You can't just walk in but you can call them on 131 232 in the morning and explain your situation and get an emergency appointment.

At the very least they will be able to give you sound guidance to ensure you will be allowed back into Aust if a passport can't be issued as quickly as you need it.

You need a re-entry visa for your British passport then no hassles. Won't get back in without one. No good relying on citizenship papers. I know, been there and done that and with previous married name in passport! Name did not matter, just re-entry visa.

If you ring the passport office, they can expedite a passport application in an emergency if you explain the situation. A relative recently had a similar issue and Australian passport was issued within 4 hours - same day. You do need an appointment though and cannot just turn up.

The problem is that UK passport holders need a visa to travel to Australia (airlines won't allow you to board without one) but Australian citizens can't get the usual kind of visa. The only visa they can get is an Australian Declaratory Visa (ADV) at a cost of $240. A passport with Priority processing is $361 which is better value given that I'm sure you'll want one at some time. If you decide to get an ADV, you should get it in Australia as they're processed virtually while you wait here. and will take longer in the UK

http://www.immi.gov.au/forms/Documents/931.pdf ADV

Edited by Ozmaniac

The problem is that UK passport holders need a visa to travel to Australia (airlines won't allow you to board without one)

What actually happens is the airline will contact DIAC on a 24 hour telephone service to query your visa/citizenship status. I've seen it happen to my mother-in-law, who's only visa is attached to her British (child) passport from the 60's. Although living in Australia for 50 years, she has never taken citizenship.

Guest guest30085

In your MILs case Peach, wouldnt she need a Return Resident Visa?

A family member has been here 40 years and never taken citizenship, she lives outside of Australia for most of the year, and she had to apply for a RRV to enable her to enter back into Oz.

In your MILs case Peach, wouldnt she need a Return Resident Visa?

A family member has been here 40 years and never taken citizenship, she lives outside of Australia for most of the year, and she had to apply for a RRV to enable her to enter back into Oz.

After contacting DBIP they allowed her to board, the old old visas didn't have the five year expiry for entry on them.

What actually happens is the airline will contact DIAC on a 24 hour telephone service to query your visa/citizenship status. I've seen it happen to my mother-in-law, who's only visa is attached to her British (child) passport from the 60's. Although living in Australia for 50 years, she has never taken citizenship.

Your mother-in-law's case is completely different from that of the OP. Your MIL got her residency at a time when she would have had an Authority To Return (ATR) or a Return Endorsement RE) which take the place of a Resident Return visa and do not need to be renewed and a call to DIBP will confirm that. A new citizen's previous visa has been cancelled and the only kind they can get is an ADV if they don't have an Australian passport.

You may have trouble leaving the country too, as you are supposed to exit as an Australian Citizen with an Australian Passport.

There is nothing in the legislation that actually supports this requirement. Just reading through the APP guide it seems you need 'uplift approval' to travel to Australia on a foreign passport without a visa. As an Australian national I do not need a visa for entry.

ADV is for people who 'frequently'' need to travel on their foreign passport in and out of Aus (i.e. those from countries that don't support the notion of dual-citizenship).

This happened to the son of a friend of mine. As soon as you get citizenship any visa you hold is cancelled so unless you have an Australian passport you will not be able to travel back. She had to courier his documents (citizenship cert, birth certs etc etc) to him in the UK and he went to London and was issued his passport from the Australian Embassy there.

There was another post about a teenager who had booked a trip abroad after getting his citizenship and was leaving within the week, not realising he needed an Aussie passport to get back - I think he managed to get one in about three days here in Adelaide, so if you are in Canberra it should be at least as quick, probably quicker.

I found this tucked away quite low down on here http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/dual-nationals.html

An Australian citizen who arrives without an Australian passport may be delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been checked. If a foreign passport holder claims to be an Australian citizen, immigration officers must confirm and verify this through official databases, which will cause delays.

International airlines have an obligation to ensure that they only carry appropriately documented passengers to Australia. In the absence of an Australian passport, airlines are unable to verify a claim of Australian citizenship at the time of check-in and may refuse boarding. The airline may have to make inquiries with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in Australia seeking approval to carry the passenger, which takes time and may cause delays.

From this I would say you should be okay to travel without an Australian passport providing you can convince the airline you are flying back with with that you are an Australian citizen and have the right to enter Australia.

You can leave Australia with no documentation - although an airline will want proof that you are able to enter your destination country. There is no law that allows the Australian Border staff to stop you leaving.

Persuading an airline to let you board without proper documentation (passport or visa) will be almost impossible as the airline would be liable for heavy fines and cost of deportation if they carry passengers who are denied entry for lack of documentation. The fact that you would be able to talk your way through the Australian Border is not a chance the airline will take.

You can get a passport issued in a morning if you have a good enough reason and make an appointment to attend a passport office. It is not unusual for people to have to travel suddenly for reasons of grave illness or bereavement.

You can leave Australia with no documentation - although an airline will want proof that you are able to enter your destination country. There is no law that allows the Australian Border staff to stop you leaving.

Persuading an airline to let you board without proper documentation (passport or visa) will be almost impossible as the airline would be liable for heavy fines and cost of deportation if they carry passengers who are denied entry for lack of documentation. The fact that you would be able to talk your way through the Australian Border is not a chance the airline will take.

You can get a passport issued in a morning if you have a good enough reason and make an appointment to attend a passport office. It is not unusual for people to have to travel suddenly for reasons of grave illness or bereavement.

Have a read of this, http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/visa-entry/_pdf/APP_Guide_full_manual.pdf -- but thank you for your opinion. Nothing to do with persuading the airline. Airline will contact the 24x7 EOC in Canberra for a decision, on whether or not an 'uplift approval' can be granted. My UK passport was valid for travel last week. My visa has been cancelled, but Australia is still perfectly aware of my status and UK passport number. Wish me luck ;)

There is nothing in the legislation that actually supports this requirement. Just reading through the APP guide it seems you need 'uplift approval' to travel to Australia on a foreign passport without a visa. As an Australian national I do not need a visa for entry.

ADV is for people who 'frequently'' need to travel on their foreign passport in and out of Aus (i.e. those from countries that don't support the notion of dual-citizenship).

That's not the only reason someone may need an ADV. From the ADV application form...

In some situations this could include adult Australian citizens in an emergency situation that prevents them travelling on an Australian passport, such as where the normal arrangements for the issue of an Australian passport are not feasible.

Anyway, it's entirely your choice if you take the chance or not. I needed an ADV when my husband returned to Australia having accidentally taken my Australian passport with him and I had to travel back on my UK passport.. Perhaps the airline will allow you to board without one.

• Like 1