Hello

Been trying to find the answers to these questions but everywhere seems to point me towards different info.

I've arrived in Queensland I'm 25 and I have held a provisional UK driving license for 5 years. What license can I get in Australia? What tests do I have to take? And at what stage will I be able to drive on my own?

Thanks

Ben

You can transfer your overseas licence to a Queensland licence of the same class. If it equates to a Queensland Provisional licence, I'm pretty sure you will get a P2 Provisional licence ('green' Ps) on which you can drive alone with very few restrictions. Because you're 25 and have held the licence for 5 years, it's possible that you may go straight onto an Open licence.

http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer/index.html

You can transfer your overseas licence to a Queensland licence of the same class. If it equates to a Queensland Provisional licence, I'm pretty sure you will get a P2 Provisional licence ('green' Ps) on which you can drive alone with very few restrictions. Because you're 25 and have held the licence for 5 years, it's possible that you may go straight onto an Open licence.

http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer/index.html

he hasn't passed his driving test though in uk on a provisional ...my lad passed three days before we emigrated still had to go on his p plates here ..I mean provisional is when u haven't passed ya test :):)

Guest Guest226914
Unless it was because he was 18 ....I still find it bizzare to let someone loose on their own even if 25 with no test lol :)

Im pretty sure in the UK a provisional license is the same as a learner license. If you go to Australia you will get a learner license but being 25 you won't have to do the log book of driving hours due to your age.

Im pretty sure in the UK a provisional license is the same as a learner license. If you go to Australia you will get a learner license but being 25 you won't have to do the log book of driving hours due to your age.

Hi yes yes a provisional in uk though u carnt drive on ya own without someone sitting with u who can drive , that's what I'm confused about ....so here u can have a learners like a provisional and drive if u r 25 anyway with no one in the car with u that's what I'm getting confused with well not confused I just think it's mad ....lol ....but then nothing surprises me anymore haha :)

Everything you need to know is available from the link I gave you. If your current licence equates to a Queensland Learners, because you're 25, you won't need a logbook. You will need a Practical Driving Test and then go straight on to a P2 licence if you pass.

If you fail a practical driving test, your authority to drive on your foreign licence will be withdrawn.

You will be able to use your foreign licence for the next practical driving test you take, but you will not be able to use this licence to practise driving.

You will have to apply for a Queensland learner licence if you need to practise driving before taking your next test.

Hey there,

Speaking from personal experience here as i never had time to sit my test before i came over. When i arrived i swapped my UK Provisional and got a QLD learners, i had to pay the fee for the learners license, think it was about $120?? not 100% sure, but never had to take the written test for it. When you swap it over you have to provide evidence, full address in QLD and a bank statement with said address on it, i think it was. I am under 25 so had to do the logbook which was such a pain but finally got through it lol. I passed my test and went onto P1 license (Red P's) but as stated before from Ozmatic, since you meet the age requirement you will go straight onto P2 (green P's). You cant drive unsupervised until you pass your driving test (just like in the UK, you wouldn't be allowed to drive there on your provisional alone). Not sure about driving with whilst supervised with your UK Provisional, you'll need to contact the department of transport and ask.

Hope this helps you

Lew

• 3 years later...