Eek, first decision made!!

Huggy75

Athough we have no firm date for moving back yet, I made the decision this week to leave work as I have been quite unwell lately. So I handed my resignation in today! I feel very empowered but very nervous too. I've never left a job without having a new job to go in to. I'm thinking that I'll probably feel a lot more nervous about the stages of moving home than I did coming out to Oz - anyone else have experience with this?

Yep quit my job (NHS) around 6 weeks ago,feeling 100% better for it too,and started work with an agency a week after!lol I feel like I am back to my normal self now.You have to put your health first,because at the end of the day,its just a job,thats all!

• 1 month later...

The hardest bit was making the decision but once we told the family in the UK we were returning - there is no going back on it.

I am so much more nervous to be returning to the Uk than when we came out here - came out pretty much without a second thought even though we had a whole learning curve to go through work, schooling but v. happy we have spent our time in Brisbane - I love it and will miss it - I literally love the city, the river, the lights, the air, the sky, the moon but i feel like I have been on a long holiday and you can't stay on holiday for ever. We have not progressed financially here at all in 9 years - I can't get ahead in my job, my husband's work is unreliable and I am looking forward to spending some time with my folks who have been doing it tough the last couple of years for one reason or another. So v. scary - lots of sleepless nights and mind overflowing with thoughts and a lot of organising which is hard when you work full time and when you are a little afraid to make the commitments but slowly the decisions are being made and deposits being paid - one step at a time

I don't look at it as success or failure - our life is phases and the next phase is a UK one - I can't say I wont be back - I can't say I will - just gonna play it by ear. I do know I will miss it a lot and the Queensland weather is just so beautiful. Like many others when I lived in the UK I thought the whole of Australia was hot and lovely - it is not ! But SE Queensland (except for humid days) weather is pretty near perfect.

But you can't stay somewhere just for the weather ........

I intend to embrace the UK weather - I have requested there be a pretty pair of wellies waiting for me ! - getting outdoors whether sun, wind or rain because after all one of the 'problems' here is that is actually too hot to walk or cycle some days so nowhere is perfect and it is up to us to see the best bits and let them make us happy.

Good luck with your plans.

I think the first thing is to book your flights - then you have a finite date to work to.

:)

Hi Huggy, I was like you about a year ago when we made the initial decision to return to the UK, and worried about it for the next 12 months, but now with 8 weeks to go before we return those fears are subsiding and the excitement is taking over. Any doubts or fears I had are gone and am looking forward to a new and exciting chapter in our lives. As you get a date and it gets closer you can start to plan more about where to live, schools etc and I think it definately helps knowing what you are moving back to and having a direction forward, for us none of these plans were in place 12 months ago and so it was all unknown and much more scary.

Good luck with it all, it is certainly an emotional roller coaster xx

Imapla - I hear what you are saying, I read your post and thought it was mine - our feelings are so similar! :-)

Hi Miley - 8 weeks, how exciting :-)

Strangely enough we did book our flights on Friday and we're off in 3 weeks - I'm so excited and feel like a weight has been lifted, I'm actually starting to enjoy my time left here, even with all the sorting out to do :-)

Good luck with your moves too, keep us updated as to how you get on.

Imapla - I hear what you are saying, I read your post and thought it was mine - our feelings are so similar! :-)

Hi Miley - 8 weeks, how exciting :-)

Strangely enough we did book our flights on Friday and we're off in 3 weeks - I'm so excited and feel like a weight has been lifted, I'm actually starting to enjoy my time left here, even with all the sorting out to do :-)

Good luck with your moves too, keep us updated as to how you get on.

Oh my goodness Huggy 3 weeks wow, that is exciting!!! So glad it's all slotting into place and you feel better about it all, let us know how you go :)

Archived