Ormiston College

jatkins

Hi All,

Has anyone got kids at Ormiston College, Brisbane?

Based on research on this forum and elsewhere (including there impressive naplan results) we really liked the look of the school (although we've never been or had a tour) & have applied for places for our three daughters, in readiness for us finally making the move over later this year.

As we anticipated when we submitted the enrolment forms, they don't currently have any 'in year' places for our girls, but we're on the waiting list. Does have anyone have any experience of how long the waiting lists are at Ormiston? We've not really been able to pin this down with them to anything other than a place 'could become available at anytime' We don't really want to have to start them in a the local state catchment school then move them again as and when places become available.

They would be going into year 4, year 1 & prep.

We visited the Redeemer Lutheran School when we came over to activate our visas, seemed very friendly & at the time they had placed for all 3 of our daughters, but at the time we weren't ready to make the move. We'd still consider this School - but on balance would prefer to be further towards Bayside (Ormiston, Wellington Point, Cleveland areas of Brisbane). Has anyone recently enrolled at at The Redeemer? If so were places still available or again is there now waiting lists here as well?

We visited Ormiston last year and had the tour also on our recce for our daughter who will be Year 6/7. We did like the school though the impression was that they were really focussed on those naplan results (perhaps a bit too much). We also visited Moreton Bay Girls College and were impressed by that though our daughter preferred not to be in a girl's school (to our surprise). In the end we enrolled her at Sheldon College which is a little further south towards Victoria Point. It was wholly our daughter's choice I should add as we would have been happy with any of them.

I don't know if you have considered Moreton Bay or Sheldon also.

We disliked Ormiston (although we were looking with a 16 year old boy!) as they were overly focused on results and not the whole child.

I have heard fantastic things about the younger years there but I am yet to meet a person with teenagers there who is happy. In my school (which is more prestigious than Ormiston), Ormiston has a reputation for asking kids to leave after Year 10 who are not making the cut.

But again, I have heard great things about the younger years and your girls are young enough.

We disliked Ormiston (although we were looking with a 16 year old boy!) as they were overly focused on results and not the whole child.

I have heard fantastic things about the younger years there but I am yet to meet a person with teenagers there who is happy. In my school (which is more prestigious than Ormiston), Ormiston has a reputation for asking kids to leave after Year 10 who are not making the cut.

But again, I have heard great things about the younger years and your girls are young enough.

Hi Tina,

What school are your children at?

We looked at Ormiston, Sheldon and Iona. Sheldon is amazing. The Head has a very clear vision and has created something very special there. But, as my son has gone into Year 12, he probably would've struggled coming from a Comp in the UK to conforming to everything Sheldon is about. Had he been younger, it would've been a definite option though.

Ormiston was very different. The interviewer spent the whole time checking his reflection and clicking the lid of his pen. Everything was about their results and they wanted my son to go back a year so he would achieve the results the school wanted. As I said earlier, people I know with younger kids there absolutely love it.

Iona is a Catholic school and we only looked at it on a whim. It's all boys too, so not really an option for you!!

Moreton Girls is also meant to be good. If you are looking at private schools a lot lay on private buses, lots of them get public transport too, which can widen the area for when they get a bit older!!