Huon Valley Property owner considering moving back home from Sydney

skilledhansgirl

Hi Everyone,

Geez I haven't been on here for ages.

Been too busy working way too hard in Sydney.

I have a 1 of a kind stunning 5 acre riverfront property in the Huon Valley I have not lived in since built back in 09.

I have been sooo stressed & overworked here in Sydney, I am actually thinking of making the move back down to TAS.

3 x probs with this idea is 1, the issue of an income / 2, wrapping up my very busy respected buisiness in Sydney ??? 3, the bordom e.g. isolation being a middle aged single female 15 mins drive away from the local major town.

Hmm what to do ??

A penny for any contructive advice , cheers

I envy you! I would never be bored as I loathed big city life - if I ever enter a Westfield shopping centre again it would be too soon. Ghastly places. Yes, income would be a problem though. I'm retired now so it doesn't really matter where I live - the further away from crowds the better!

Hi , well I suppose one persons ideal can be someone elses bad dream LOL

Although for the first week I would be in absolute bliss re the much needed peace & quiet.

I however am quite a social urban type lady & without enough friends & activities I would go nuts.

Long term locals from the area tend to be boring to the extent of wierd & extremely slow & care free.

One of the main reason I joined on here was to get to know more fun ( switched on ) people whom are new to the area.

Ta for your input, cheers

Having visited the Huon Valley last year (we stayed at a beautiful house in Ranelagh), my initial thoughts were to tell you to move back immediately! It is stunningly beautiful there, and we had the best holiday we have ever had in Tasmania (we spent two weeks in seven different locations). However, I understand exactly what you mean about the isolation. I am the sort of person who likes the quiet, but I have an OH and two kids, so the idea of having peace and quiet maybe means something different to me than it would if I was single. Huonville is pretty small from what we saw, and I would imagine you would have to travel to Hobart for entertainment, shopping (except food), restaurants etc, although from memory it isn't too bad of a drive.

Is your occupation something that you could continue in TAS, or would it be difficult to do the same? Is it something that you could do remotely? Could you continue to let your house (I am assuming that you let it out, since you say that you haven't lived in it), so as to provide you with an income, but then actually live in/near to Hobart, so you have a bit of an income, a less isolated location, and maybe some work in Hobart?

Ta for the interesting reply,

Ranelagh is very close to my place lovley but not quite as breathtaking.

Huonville is quite a bit bigger than it looks when driving through & has been pretty rapidly growing for quite a while now but you are right re entertainment & such is definately a Hobart thing unless the very chilled pretty ordinary cafe' resturant scene is ones pref.

Later at night there the fish stop swimming !

Way back 12 yrs ago when I first moved to the area I nic named Huonville ( Deliveranceville ) lol. Almost all of the old red population have long since moved a lot further out since those days. Mostly artistic type folks these days

I could continue my ( current profession ) in TAS & move my workshop over there but I am not keen on that idea as it is a male dominated profession & although profitable it is physically getting way too hard for me these days. I recall my ex was in the same buis but I simply could no longer cope with the short man syndrome hence we could never work together LOL.

Letting out my house would be out of the question without my presence, indeed it is a work of art & the surfaces are far too valuable & come irreplacable.

Some people may envy my plight but my commitments are in fact pretty serious ! I am extremely wary of moving back without a good worthwhile plan or perhaps I will just very reluctantly stick to the previous plan of selling up my beloved dream home.

Again ta kindly for your thoughts

I did seriously consider that suggestion ! Would have loved to as I am a passionate cook.

Prob is it would cost waaay to much money to set up & make so many changes to the home.

Ta though for yr input

I'm guessing that you're an artist? Sculptor? Bespoke furniture maker? If so, how about turning it into a studio/sales outlet?