Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Family ties (or other) residency possibilities?

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I have just joined this forum today to find out if there is a way for me to get a residency here in Australia given my particular family ties situation. From what I read on the gov immigration site it doesn't seem easy so this is kind of a last attempt to see if there is any way around it. So I'm hoping for some helpful advice.



Here are the details of my situation:

I have a mother living in Tassie on a return residence visa. She is retired (76). I also have aunts and cousins around australia who have citizenships here. I hold an Italian passport and Swedish residency and I'm currently in Australia on a working holiday visa. I don't currently have any degree of any kind although I am not far from getting a BS in engineering.

If anyone has any clues about which would be the best approach for me to get started on applying for a residency it would be much appreciated. Alternative options are welcome too. Thanks in advance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Child visa could be a possibility though the fact that you are not currently a student and are in Australia on a WHV will present a major (and possibly insurmountable) problem.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/802.aspx Onshore Child visa

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/101.aspx Offshore Child visa



Are you aged under 26 and


  • never have had, and do not now have, a spouse or de facto partner
  • are not engaged to be married
  • are not in full-time work
  • are a full-time student.



To be a full-time student, you must:




  • be currently enrolled and participating in a full-time course of study leading to a professional, trade or vocational qualification
  • have started that course since turning 18 years of age or within six months or a reasonable time after finishing school.


You must be a full-time student when you apply for this visa. Any gaps of more than six months between the final year of school and tertiary studies must be explained.




Otherwise, your only approach will be to finish your degree and then apply for skilled immigration when you can meet the Engineers Australia skills assessment requirements.

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment EA Migration Skills Assessment

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

With a 76-year-old mother, it's highly unlike the OP is under 26 years old, I'd think...

Applied for PMV 300: 18 April 2013 (Washington, D.C.) Police Checks: Front-loaded. Medicals: 3 June 2013 Meds Referred: ? Meds Cleared: 8/2013 PMV GRANTED: 03 JAN 2014! Married: March 2014. Applied for 820: 28 April 2014. 820 GRANTED: 07 July 2014!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that it's highly unlikely but not absolutely impossible. My sister was 49 when she had her youngest so when he was 25, she was 72.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now