You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

starlight7

Do you eat different food here?

Makes me laugh this thread, you can get everything in both Countries food wise, if you want to eat healthy or unhealthy its up to you, the Country does not dictate your diet...you do.

True but the quality and taste of things differs. It's like so many things, it's different in each country, not necessarily better. For instance, I'm pigging out on mangoes right now because I know they won't be the same in the UK - but on the other hand, I'm looking forward to strawberries that actually taste like strawberries (and ditto tomatoes).

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Love mangoes but you are right about the strawberries. Just occasionally we get good ones but not in the same league as the Kentish ones. Tomatoes are not bad, especially the little truss ones. I think they are on the improve here, as they say. I never buy those great big cheap ones, though, they are terrible.

What is white pudding? Fat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_pudding

wikipedia knows all :P

but yeah, i'ts fat and pork and grains, usually it's smoother than the ones shown on the link there but hey, it comes in all shapes and sizes

Edited by jonas valent

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Makes me laugh this thread, you can get everything in both Countries food wise, if you want to eat healthy or unhealthy its up to you, the Country does not dictate your diet...you do.

A roast in the build up and wet season in Darwin is a definite pass! I find I eat more Asian style food here but sometimes you can't beat home comfort food from the UK. I do miss proper fish and chips though, that's always top of the list when i get back to the UK.

Arrived in Australia on a working holiday visa 10/08/13 (to live with my partner), applied for De Facto Partner Visa 820/801 and granted bridging visa 09/07/14, last documents uploaded 22/12/14, contacted 09/07/15 by immigration and asked to have my medical done, medical completed 20/07/15, uploaded 27/07/15 and temporary partner visa (820) issued 27/07/15 :smile:

I eat basically the same here as I do in Australia,and obviously adapt meals to suit the weather.Slow cooker.roasts,casseroles,stir fries etc in winter in both countries and salads,bbq's,and also stir fries in summer.I do grow a lot of my own vegetables (have in both countries)so I don't have freshness concerns lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

Possibly depends on how long you have lived in a hot climate?

22 years for me, eat whatever I want when we want, lived in Asia for 10 of those, ate local sometimes and very English at other.

yesterday 36' so air con was on and I cooked a roast chicken, it's what we fancied. Often have soup for lunch as often as say a salad.

the mangos and peaches have been lovely this year, probably wouldn't eat as many mangos in UK? Prawns are pretty special here on the Sunshine Coast so do again probably eat more here.

Still have slow cooker meals, roasts and barbies. Not a lot has changed since we were in the UK, but I reckon we eat healthier with less snacking on 'bad' food. I eat a lot more fruit now. Hated avocado in the UK and love it here.

Don't have regrets because you were too scared to try something.

defo eat more japanese and vietnamese

Arrived in Oz on 417 visa: 30.01.13 > 457 Applied: 13.06.13, 457 granted: 16.07.13

186 Direct Entry Nomination Lodged: 18.03.15 Application Lodged: 02.04.15 Granted: 08.07.15

Citizenship Application: 03.02.17 (Online) Test & Interview completed: 06.06.17 (emailed 15.02) Ceremony: 26.01.18

Girlfriends 820 submitted: 14.06.17 (online) Case Officer Assigned: 15.02.18 820 Granted: 8.03.18