strange question I know but......

Guest gothicqueen

Guest Curlysoo

The sad truth is there are ALWAYS going to be those people who judge others on a skin deep basis , which is such a shame coz what a bloody boring world we would be living in if we all looked and dressed the same.

I always encouraged both my kids (now 24 & 29) to dress in their own styles, son was a Goth who had varying shades of hair from Jade to red to Black and back to blonde and is now half covered in tribal tats down one side of his body ... I loved the individualism of his style, my daughter was the Arty type, tonnes of bracelets, natty scarfs and loads of clothes any colour as long as they were black! (he now works as a telecomms engineer for BT she is a student nurse!)

In fact those who "judge a book by its cover" are missing the joy of the words contained inside!

Long live individualism!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest roma 1

hi helen,

didn't put any adverts on my post so if they come up it nothing to do with me. we have a fantastic shop in norwich called " HEAD IN THE CLOUDS" i buy my joss sticks from there and frankie can't pass the shop without going in and spending her pocket money on badges etc. i am now thinking i might go purple as i like that colour!!

take care , gail xx

Guest roma 1

hi curlysoo,

i agree with you lets let our children be themselves, we have given them life but we have no right to stop them being what they want to be!! i just want my frankie to be what she wants to be.happy like i am with her daddy.

good post curlysooo,love gail x

Guest guest12791
Oh dear........ someone has taken their bat and ball home :chatterbox:

I dont think the 'PC' brigaide has anything to do with it, I think its more down to peoples perception around other beliefs and cultures which canin turn can promote negativity to indiviuals from diverse walks of life, you only have to look at what happened to Sophie Lancaster to realise what impact views like that can have.

But I think Vul has shown what kind of person he/she is with their blatent Im not talking about it now attitude, they come across to me as the type of person who HAS to be right at all times and if not stomp off and wont continue with a debate, unless everyone agrees with their views.

I am genuinly interested in why people feel that appearances are more important than ability or personality, which is why I ask so many questions about it, and I did want Vuls opinion, but they obv dont know themselves so I may never find out but thanks for all the messgaes of support I really appreciate it, and Earlswood, I am tempted now to come to Perth, the night life sounds great and you cuold be my boss! Im sure we would make a great team........:Randy-git: what do you do again! LOL

Funny Vul hasnt disclosed what they do for a living, I would be so tempted to apply for a job there.....

You just take care Gothqueen, appearance means nothing to most of us , its the personality and nature that counts. Dont change your mind and go to Perth, was hoping to meet up in Brisbane!!! next year, Annemarie

You just take care Gothqueen, appearance means nothing to most of us , its the personality and nature that counts. Dont change your mind and go to Perth, was hoping to meet up in Brisbane!!! next year, Annemarie

Thats the view of a sensible individual. We cant pre judge people all the time. They reckon you have 4 minutes to make an impression at an interview, do you really want to work for someone who has made their mind up about you pruely on how you look, thats like saying all blondes are thick, all fat people are lazy, all people who wear hoodies are bad, all dogs bite, etc.etc.

:v_SPIN: Anyway as a sensible sounding human being with lots of work experience Helen knows how to dress without causing offence.Good luck to her.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gothic queen:)))

I to have a daughter who dose like to dress different, and has had to suffer in the north east by comments:))) I think she looks fantastic, she likes pin up to emo to gothic a bit of a mix:)))

She was also worried about fitting in in oz she is nearly 20:)))

But when I visited the gold coast I saw lots of chilled out peeps I don't think anyone is bothered, the ozzies are chilled out:))) They walk round with no shoes on, class:)))) No more shoes ha ha:)))

Briggy :))))

From my experiance the Ozzies dont go for judging people on how they Dress... on my first day here I was in a supermarket and a lady had her hair in a towel and her PJs on...got even more bizarre after that...glad to say you will not judged on your looks ..just how it should be,

Having looked through the whole of this thread, I realise with surprise that there only appears to be one narrow minded person here, (quite refreshing) you know who you are. I think its very sad that GothicQueen is having to test the water to see the reaction she and her family may cause when entering Oz.

I myself am a Witch and while working for a big bank I do feel I need to keep a lid on my different way of life to others. Only a handful of people know about me, and I feel that if others knew in a managerial position it would cause friction. Just a feeling I have. I am quite resentful that I have to go around like this I can tell you.

Be who you want to be, do what you want to do I say. Only not brave enough to follow through xx

Guest Angie*mark

I love this thread, think it's great to hear (xecept 1) that what we look on the outside has nothing to do with who we are as a person. I was a goth years and years ago and happy until i had a terrible relationship (i wont go into detail) where i had to completly change who i was- dress wise and become someone i hated, but being with a new man who loves me no matter what i wear or what colour hair i got, makes me realise there are alot of good people out there and i can be who i want to be, look how i want and still be happy. And if that shines through then other people will smile rather than scowl at me.

My Oh has been to Oz and said they are so laid back and friendly i doubt us goths or those people who so say are differnet to the "norm" will be just fine.

Guest earlswood
I love this thread, think it's great to hear (xecept 1) that what we look on the outside has nothing to do with who we are as a person. I was a goth years and years ago and happy until i had a terrible relationship (i wont go into detail) where i had to completly change who i was- dress wise and become someone i hated, but being with a new man who loves me no matter what i wear or what colour hair i got, makes me realise there are alot of good people out there and i can be who i want to be, look how i want and still be happy. And if that shines through then other people will smile rather than scowl at me.

My Oh has been to Oz and said they are so laid back and friendly i doubt us goths or those people who so say are differnet to the "norm" will be just fine.

Aussies accept goths and weird people as much as the UK......but aussie macho men I have met do not take kindly to what they call "poooftassss" their words not mine..:spinny:

Hi gothic queen:)))

I to have a daughter who dose like to dress different, and has had to suffer in the north east by comments:))) I think she looks fantastic, she likes pin up to emo to gothic a bit of a mix:)))

She was also worried about fitting in in oz she is nearly 20:)))

But when I visited the gold coast I saw lots of chilled out peeps I don't think anyone is bothered, the ozzies are chilled out:))) They walk round with no shoes on, class:)))) No more shoes ha ha:)))

Briggy :))))

No Shoes! what my Imelda Marcus style collection not wanted! shoot me now!:wideeyed:

Hi Helen

I realise you posted your question ages ago, but I just wanted to say that I would happily employ you/ work alongside you/ for you - purple hair or not!! I would much rather have an intelligent, articulate goth with a great sense of humour working with me than a grey "suit" with a personality bypass.

Sadly, there will always be some people who make snap decisions on what a person might be like based solely on their appearance. My darling dad has suffered this kind of prejudice in a slightly different way.

He has been a wheelchair user for 4 years since suffering a serious illness, but people ignore him and speak over his head to my mum instead - like they assume he can't speak because he is disabled!! It's so annoying and the more we do to stamp out all stupid prejudices like these the better, I say.

I'm glad you joined this forum and hope to meet you and your family when we all get to Oz!

Love Mrs Tyke xx

• 1 month later...
Guest *KAY TEE*
thanks for that!!!!

Gosh this cheered me up abit, it was a while ago I posted this.

Im used to people looking at me as though Im abit odd, especially when I go into prison (to work LOL) they are not used to anyone who looks a bit different. I get asked all sorts of stuff of them, like are you a vampire Miss, or are you a druid Miss. when I tell them Im actually a witch their jaws drop to the floor, and they work really well in the lessons, last time I was at Risley we ended up talking about ghost hunting and the prison officer who I was working with said that a couple of them had nightmares....... tough criminals that they are!

The club sounds great, we have one similar here in Manchester called Hellfire, which we are honory members of, so get free meals and stuff and that was one of the big things I was going to miss, at least I will have an equivelent in Oz!!!

Tad your daughters job sounds fab, I so would love to do something like that! (if I dont get my job rubbing suncream in the surfers that is!!)

Hi Gothic Queen,

You sound fab, stay as you are, and sod all the negative folk around, you will prob. find most people will appreciate a little diversity. Although Im not a goth my sister is into tarot card reading, and stuff like that, you would get on like a house on fire Im sure.

What sort of a witch are you, Im just being nosey now :yes: xx

Guest gothicqueen

Hi Kaytee

Thanks for your message!

Im a soliatry witch, so I practice on my own, and I prefer to do candle spells , rather than herb type ones if I can cos they arent as messy!

I do tarot reading too, and am part of a parnormal group so we go ghost hunting and stuff too, so a proper way out weirdo LOL!

But it has really reassured me that Australia will accept us for what we are, which is great.

Guest *KAY TEE*
Hi Kaytee

Thanks for your message!

Im a soliatry witch, so I practice on my own, and I prefer to do candle spells , rather than herb type ones if I can cos they arent as messy!

I do tarot reading too, and am part of a parnormal group so we go ghost hunting and stuff too, so a proper way out weirdo LOL!

But it has really reassured me that Australia will accept us for what we are, which is great.

Really cool, what paranormal group do you belong to? and have you any stories you could share with us. Love stuff like that. xx :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest12791
Hi Kaytee

Thanks for your message!

Hi gothqueen, so glad you are into the paranormal!and others on the form too!!! im excited i love that sort of thing. My daughter went on a ghost walk around toowong cemetery in brisbane, apparently it is so haunted! out of a group only two people remained for the whole walk! maybe we could all get together and go! I once had a ghost pull my hair in an emergency theatre at work i was petrified! my daughter took me to a quaint little cafe at wollongabba where you could get a lovely coffee and a private reading! great stuff

Annemarie

Guest *KAY TEE*
Hi gothqueen, so glad you are into the paranormal!and others on the form too!!! im excited i love that sort of thing. My daughter went on a ghost walk around toowong cemetery in brisbane, apparently it is so haunted! out of a group only two people remained for the whole walk! maybe we could all get together and go! I once had a ghost pull my hair in an emergency theatre at work i was petrified! my daughter took me to a quaint little cafe at wollongabba where you could get a lovely coffee and a private reading! great stuff

Annemarie

Here Here Annemarie xx :shocked:

Hi gothicqueen,

I personally have no problem with what you look like, My eldest daughter who is 22 has goth friends and they truely are a great bunch of people, I have been out for a drink with them a couple of times and have felt 100% underdressed, eeeek" However my daughter who is 10 years old has seen your pickie and has decided she wants to look like you! now thats fine by me i said but i don't think you will get any bonus points at school, I now have her in a fit of the sulks, great. oh well you can't win them all. I say dress how you are comfy, you go girl x

Guest gothicqueen

Annemarie

that sounds amazing, we have been to quite a few of the places that most haunted have done and get better results than them so a ghost hunt in a cemetry sounds cool!!!

Guest gothicqueen
Hi gothicqueen,

I personally have no problem with what you look like, My eldest daughter who is 22 has goth friends and they truely are a great bunch of people, I have been out for a drink with them a couple of times and have felt 100% underdressed, eeeek" However my daughter who is 10 years old has seen your pickie and has decided she wants to look like you! now thats fine by me i said but i don't think you will get any bonus points at school, I now have her in a fit of the sulks, great. oh well you can't win them all. I say dress how you are comfy, you go girl x

Tell your ten year old I had to wait till I was 16 till I could dress like this! and tell her when you get to Oz, she can come round and Ill give her a makeover, bless her!

Tell your ten year old I had to wait till I was 16 till I could dress like this! and tell her when you get to Oz, she can come round and Ill give her a makeover, bless her!

I will do honey!

and remember stand tall and be proud:arghh:

Dawny x

Hi there,

I think you have your answer already, a small minority of people would be prejudiced but overall Australia is less conservative than the UK. We asked similar questions before going out for interviews in June, my hair is red and DH was two tone blond & black & like you we're old enough to know better. We both have tattoo's and piercings but nothing that can't be removed or hidden for interview.

Speaking to my Australian boss in the UK & friends in Perth the overall answer we got was it'll matter less than in the UK particularly as we won't be in 'customer facing' roles & we would be judged on our skills not appearence however my boss here did say that with two candidates equal in all other ways it might go against you. We both work in banking/financial services IT which it was said tend to be more conservative than most other areas though. I'm assuming you are planning on doing similar work in which case I really don't think you have a problem (as an aside I have just finished a contract at a court where my boss was a goth - very impressive in a gown!)

My view has always been I wouldn't want to work for someone so judgemental however with visa's and our whole dream resting on one interview DH did decide to go for a single hair colour (peroxide blond!) and cut it just a little bit, he got the job and so did I!

I say forget Brisbane and come to Perth with us - Earlswood is spot-on about Northbridge (though it wasn't really the place for a family dinner on our last night, our son is 5!) & take a look at The Perth Goth Meetup Group (Perth) - Meetup.com I'm sure Brisbane is the same though, I'm just showing my prejudice!

Jules x

Archived