TEACHERS! Do you prefer working in oz or uk schools?

Guest Guest226914

Guest Guest226914

This is not meant to be a which education system is the best thread!

Just wondering for those teachers who have experience teaching in both UK and Australia, which they prefer?

I personally prefer working in oz. I feel a lot more trusted in my profession and feel the school works more as a team rather than with distinct levels of management with everyone being scared of senior management.

any other opinions out there?

Do you prefer working in Australian or UK schools and why?

its my wife not me thats the teacher. She prefers Australia, less red tape and no ofstead stress. She thinks they are behind where the kids would be at same age in UK tho.. sometimes its a good thing, she says the 13 year old aussie kids are still kids. UK ones thought and acted like they were young adults

Not in my opinion. In my experience, the kids are a little less worldly for the most part but I find they are able to apply knowledge to more non routine problems than their UK counterparts. I think it comes of not being so driven by a rigid exam system. As a teacher though it would make my life easier if QLD did do external exams

I now work in a school that tops the list for academic results in the state. I teach two fast track Maths and Science classes and they are way beyond anything I thought possible for 11 years old. This term alone they are into kinematics equations in Physics, some pretty full on algorithms, abstract problem solving and loving it. It's wonderful that this opportunity is possible in a state funded school. The fast track senior do first year uni courses so it is pretty full on for them.

Millie

Hi

my daughter will be 16 yrs old when we relocate to Sydney in Dec 2015 (nov 99 born). Is there a chance that I can enrol her in grade 11 instead of grade 10.

so far all the NSW academics have responded that as per July 2015 cut off she would be enrolled in Grade 10. She is already completing Grade 10 in India in an international school so she will reject the idea of repeating :(. Can any one suggest a way out please so that I can make this move more attractive for her :)

Hi

my daughter will be 16 yrs old when we relocate to Sydney in Dec 2015 (nov 99 born). Is there a chance that I can enrol her in grade 11 instead of grade 10.

so far all the NSW academics have responded that as per July 2015 cut off she would be enrolled in Grade 10. She is already completing Grade 10 in India in an international school so she will reject the idea of repeating :(. Can any one suggest a way out please so that I can make this move more attractive for her :)

It won't feel like repeating. School here will be totally different to India with a different curriculum and study.

Hi

Does Grade 10 in an Indian school have the exact same curriculum as Year 10 in a NSW school?

Guest Guest226914
Not in my opinion. In my experience, the kids are a little less worldly for the most part but I find they are able to apply knowledge to more non routine problems than their UK counterparts. I think it comes of not being so driven by a rigid exam system. As a teacher though it would make my life easier if QLD did do external exams

I now work in a school that tops the list for academic results in the state. I teach two fast track Maths and Science classes and they are way beyond anything I thought possible for 11 years old. This term alone they are into kinematics equations in Physics, some pretty full on algorithms, abstract problem solving and loving it. It's wonderful that this opportunity is possible in a state funded school. The fast track senior do first year uni courses so it is pretty full on for them.

Millie

So milliem do you prefer working in Australian schools? It would be interesting to hear your point of view.

i don't think australian kids are behind either but I don't want to turn this into a which kids are smarter debate. I'm just interested in teachers experiences in Aus compared to UK as a place to work.

The hours worked are certainly much longer in QLD because of the sheer volume of internal marking and moderation, but I have found teaching in Oz more enjoyable. Two reasons; more scope to vary the lessons and content to suit the cohort and more outdoor lessons

Millie

My cousin has taught in both countries. She preferred the public system in Australia because it's not tied to the constraints of the national curriculum as state schools are in the UK (and the constant meddling by governments), but she prefers teaching in the independent school she's at now in the UK over both for the reasons milliem gives above.

She has freedom to work outside the curriculum and adapts lessons to suit the interests and level of her classes.

It must be school dependent because the last school ours were at in Sydney would never waver from the text books. The lessons were word for word from those, but I know that's not typical. It must be very boring to teach in a school like that!

Will be very interesting for me having children at Primary and me potentially working in Secondary, naturally I will compare the two countries systems and teaching styles. I guess it varies from school to school as well and people can only post about their own experiences which have been mixed!

Guest Guest226914

My cousin has taught in both countries. She preferred the public system in Australia because it's not tied to the constraints of the national curriculum as state schools are in the UK (and the constant meddling by governments), but she prefers teaching in the independent school she's at now in the UK over both for the reasons milliem gives above.She has freedom to work outside the curriculum and adapts lessons to suit the interests and level of her classes.It must be school dependent because the last school ours were at in Sydney would never waver from the text books. The lessons were word for word from those, but I know that's not typical. It must be very boring to teach in a school like that!
Maybe its just my school but I can freely walk into the deputy or principals office with any problem I have and ask for help on any issue. In all the schools I worked at in UK I and many other colleagues were too scared to even admit they had a problem, get the help they need or even speak to the head. I like that in oz I feel that the whole school is 'in it together' I also like the freedom to move around in the curriculum and have outdoor lessons

Interesting to read people's responses - I'm planning on training as a teacher in Australia next year. All the UK teachers or ex-teachers I know HATE it but all my in-laws are teachers in Oz and seem to mostly enjoy it. I'm hoping that means it's a better job in Oz!

Archived