Form 80??, seriously....

j19jjr

Hubby and I have been instructed to fill in Form 80; an 18 page document on your life from day dot. :arghh:

Spent 2hrs on it tonight & got pages 1 to 5 almost finished. To be honest I am struggling with how much info to give them.

For example, list every country you've visited in the last 10 years, reason for visit & dates to and from. So if I go on hol to the same 2 destinations every year, do I have to list each visit individually for the last 10 years???

With the employment, I somehow managed to remember all my jobs and found the addresses but the dates to and from are a bit iffy to say the least.

Haven't looked at the rest yet cos I am extremely traumatised and don't want to put myself off from having another bash tomorrow lol

How have others got through this and can you give us any advice please......

My advice.....do your best to remember details and do a reasonable amount of research (look through passport stamps, email history for booking confirmations, call family to get dates of birth and location, etc.) but don't worry if you can't recall every exact date. Where necessary, put a good guess and in the extra pages section at the back add a comment that you've done your best to provide accurate details of employment dates and travel but have had to make some estimates where you don't have complete records.

Hubby and I have been instructed to fill in Form 80; an 18 page document on your life from day dot. :arghh:

Spent 2hrs on it tonight & got pages 1 to 5 almost finished. To be honest I am struggling with how much info to give them.

For example, list every country you've visited in the last 10 years, reason for visit & dates to and from. So if I go on hol to the same 2 destinations every year, do I have to list each visit individually for the last 10 years???

With the employment, I somehow managed to remember all my jobs and found the addresses but the dates to and from are a bit iffy to say the least.

Haven't looked at the rest yet cos I am extremely traumatised and don't want to put myself off from having another bash tomorrow lol

Smiled when I read this as it brought back memories. The only thing I can say is that you feel really good when it is done.

As a tip when I did it I gave every supporting document a folio number and referenced that folio number on the form itself. I probably spoiled my CO with this but I never had any further questions from her and I found it really helped when we did our final run-through the form to check that we had completed everything and had associated documents.

Hope this helps.

Its at times like this that I wish my parents had stayed married to each other, I was an only child and had no children of my own and only ever had 1 job my entire life and never went on holiday, then this whole form would be a piece of cake :confused:

Do your best with the form and make your best estimates when you don't have the actual data. Everyone hates Form 80, everyone has trouble with it, everyone tears their hair out doing it, few people have full dates and pack drill for everything in their past but in 8+ years of daily presence on immigration forums, I've NEVER heard of anyone having a visa rejected because of an honestly completed (or attempted) Form 80. That's not to say it has never happened but if it has, it must be pretty rare. Do your best and try not to worry.

I have just started this form today as well. I feel exactly the same as you!!!

We have not been asked to do it, we are just getting it ready in case.

Do you only fill in 1 form, because it makes references to who is on the visa with you or do all people over 16 need to complete one?

Do your best with the form and make your best estimates when you don't have the actual data. Everyone hates Form 80, everyone has trouble with it, everyone tears their hair out doing it, few people have full dates and pack drill for everything in their past but in 8+ years of daily presence on immigration forums, I've NEVER heard of anyone having a visa rejected because of an honestly completed (or attempted) Form 80. That's not to say it has never happened but if it has, it must be pretty rare. Do your best and try not to worry.

Haha you're right I know, it isn't an exam but at times it sure feels like it. Have read through it all now & have completed it all apart from hols and education. I am so glad that I am a closet hoarder and keep stupid things like old passports. Oh well back to google for school addresses lol

I have just started this form today as well. I feel exactly the same as you!!!

We have not been asked to do it, we are just getting it ready in case.

Do you only fill in 1 form, because it makes references to who is on the visa with you or do all people over 16 need to complete one?

Everyone over 16 as you have to fill in your individual education & employment history. I think you are mad doing it before being asked lol

One important piece of advice is don't take so long doing it that a new version of the form is issued and you have to do it all again. That's what happened to me!!

Another thing is that although it tells you to complete it in pen, you can actually fill in the fields electronically and save the pdf on your PC; it makes it much easier to modify and correct things as you go. They accepted mine done this way (in block capitals) so I don't think that it's a problem and it must make the CO's life easier when the don't have to decipher dodgy handwriting.

There is a tremendous feeling of elation when you finally get it finished :jiggy:

Yeah - we weren't asked. Many people give them in voluntarily, which is daft. I don't think they ask half the time. And once you hand it in they probably feel obliged to check it out, adding to their workload.

I do admit though, spent about 2 full working days working all the flights I had taken in case I was asked. But we never were

I remember having to do the travel bit - I had about a hundred lines, some of the dates were just month/year and at the end I added that additionally I had had frequent unrecorded travel to Ireland, France and Belgium.

For employment, I think I just gave month and year for start and finish.

What they are looking for, I imagine, is frequent travel to areas of conflict or terrorism, or anything that looks like drug smuggling routes. They may well also want to match up periods of employment with other material you may have submitted.

When we lived in Singapore we averaged 4-8 trips over in to Malaysia every month. So filling in Form 80 just for the 5 years that we lived there was very time consuming! It didn't help that hubby had travelled so much over the previous 10 years that he was actually on to his 3rd passport lol Don't envy anyone filling in that form...

Finally got the form finished late last night after several hours of going through 2 passports and old dive logs (why cant Egyptian immigration use same numbers as us, couldn't make head nor tail of their dates). Was feeling somewhat satisfied till hubby burst my bubble - "with all these trips we look like a couple of drug smugglers". Hope the CO doesn't think so!!

• 6 months later...
Haha you're right I know, it isn't an exam but at times it sure feels like it. Have read through it all now & have completed it all apart from hols and education. I am so glad that I am a closet hoarder and keep stupid things like old passports. Oh well back to google for school addresses lol

Hey,

I have to ask....did you get asked to submit the form 80?? I have just nearly fell off my chair seeing how much detail it wants & laughed when I read your initial thread about pulling your hair out! I'm the same...preparing it just in case they ask for it at some stage...but no way do I remember all my holidays in the last 10 years!!!

Hey,

I have to ask....did you get asked to submit the form 80?? I have just nearly fell off my chair seeing how much detail it wants & laughed when I read your initial thread about pulling your hair out! I'm the same...preparing it just in case they ask for it at some stage...but no way do I remember all my holidays in the last 10 years!!!

Jambolina, we were asked to submit this along with other documents, the day after our agent sent everything over our visa was granted, so do you reckon they actually read any of it????

I done mine and for the travel section I didn't report anything within Europe. I just added a one liner saying there were also numerous work and leisure trips within Europe which hadn't been included.

I didn't think it was that bad.

Submitted it at 4pm Friday afternoon. Visa was approved at 6:30 am Monday morning.