Bournemouth

H283

I am returning to the UK for good in August. I have always lived in the southwest, and love it there.

Thinking about out where I plan to live when I get back and using the opportunity for a fresh start, I like the idea of living in Bournemouth.

I know now the area well, but not the town so much. What are people's opinions of what it is like to live there? Are there any areas to avoid?

We don't live there my sil, does. She's in Winton. When we visit we do go to Boscombe beach though, It's quieter than Bournemouth beach. In the summer you do get lots of Hen/stag parties, so you sort of get to know where to go and where not to go. It's a lovely place bit pricey for us and I don't think I'd like to live there it's near enough for us to visit :)

Any questions fire them my way either by PM or on here. Currently living in Bournemouth and have done for 23 years!

This thread really interests me because we're coming back to the UK and have no particular ties to anywhere (I'm Scottish originally but most of my family is in the South of England now).

I've asked for suggestions here but everyone seems to be obsessed with small towns and villages! No good for us - for instance, I won't live in Exeter where my niece lives, because it's too small. We are both keen dancers so need to live in a large town where we'll have a decent choice of classes and social dances.

Bournemouth wasn't even on my radar but it looks good - several dance studios! My main concern is house prices, it seems like Bournemouth is up there.

Bournemouth wasn't even on my radar but it looks good.

Glad it is now on your radar!

I have always loved the south coast (holidays as a child) but like you, I need to be somewhere where there is a bit going on and good public transport (hopefully the public transport is ok - anyone have experience here?!)

I grew up in a small village in Wilsthire, so know all too well what it is like to be 'stranded' with not a lot on your doorstep. I may consider this way of life again on the future, but right now its not where i need to be!

I would say Bournemouth is a perfect sized town, not too big, not too small. There is quite a bit going on and of course we have the biggest free attractions in the beaches we have here and an annual Air Show ran by the forces, it is pretty spectacular to see the aircraft used in the forces fly around our coast. And a half decent football team now as well! I'd say Bournemouth is growing in terms of variety of job opportunities so depending on what field you work in, there is bound to be something for you and you have neighbouring towns Poole and Christchurch too which are a stones throw away.

House prices in Bournemouth can be considered quite high, but I suppose that would depend where you want to live in the town, on your expectations and what you consider a high price.

If you have any areas in mind I am more than happy to give you a little run down of them, I know the town pretty well as have lived in all corners and central.

In terms of public transport, there are two bus companies operating here, both seem to cover the vast majority of the town. If anything they are a tad pricey when compared to London and Manchester. There are a few train stations dotted around between Poole and Christchurch (6 in total) and only a couple hours from London by train or car.

Any questions fire them my way either by PM or on here. Currently living in Bournemouth and have done for 23 years!

I guess I just need to be somewhere out of the way of the nightlife, but close enough to public transport, with easy (ideally walkable) to the city centre.

And to to know of any areas to avoid!

I would say Bournemouth is a perfect sized town, not too big, not too small. There is quite a bit going on and of course we have the biggest free attractions in the beaches we have here and an annual Air Show ran by the forces, it is pretty spectacular to see the aircraft used in the forces fly around our coast. And a half decent football team now as well! I'd say Bournemouth is growing in terms of variety of job opportunities so depending on what field you work in, there is bound to be something for you and you have neighbouring towns Poole and Christchurch too which are a stones throw away.

i have been spoilt living in Perth for 7 years, where there is usually quite a bit going on, so this sounds great!

I guess I just need to be somewhere out of the way of the nightlife, but close enough to public transport, with easy (ideally walkable) to the city centre.

And to to know of any areas to avoid!

i have been spoilt living in Perth for 7 years, where there is usually quite a bit going on, so this sounds great!

Areas to avoid I would probably say Boscombe, Townsend, West Howe and East Howe/Kinson.

Charminster/Winton/Moordown is an area increasingly dominated by student houses but is more than reasonable. They sound like a good option for you.

Westbourne and Southbourne are quite an up and coming areas within the town, got its own little "centre" with restaurants and shops.

All places mentioned have great transport links. I'd say Charminster and Winton have the best followed by Southbourne.

Charminster and Westbourne are closest for walking distance into the town centre.

Southbourne and Westbourne have beaches on their doorstep.

I'm sure I've got a map of the town somewhere with different areas plotted out on it. I'll see if I can find it and post if on here.

:err:...Perth? Quite a bit going on? I thought they closed the petrol stations at 4PM, and rolled up the footpath at the same time?.....I believe it may even be illegal for any money to change hands anywhere in the city at any time over the weekend...if it is the name of commerce!

Lol, I may be being a bit harsh...Melbourne is a tad more dynamic that our Great Western Frontier, however....

OK, so after some truly worthless and meaningless banter from moi (for which I apologise)...a slightly more serious question.

Having done a bit of reading into the demographics of many southern and SW towns, from memory....I thought that Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Southampton were a bit...err...on the dodgier side of the ledger.

Am I misreading these stats (or is it my memory that is faltering)?

I am not trying to offend anyone.....not my intent at all.....I am just trying to get a better appreciation of the demographics.

Demographics aside....looks like a very desirable climate down there....and with beach nearby.....!!!

That would depend on what you would classify as "dodgy"?

I've never encountered any problems here and although I cannot deny that crimes do occur, I would argue that crime is apparent all over the UK and if anything, I'm sure Bournemouth has one of the lowest crime rates for a large town in the UK. Much lower than that of Southampton and Portsmouth.

Yes Bournemouth is associated with hen and stag weekends, but you will only come across such groups if you venture into certain areas of the town centre at night.

http://illustreets.co.uk/blog/maps-and-apps/england-crime-map-annual-crime-rates/

This website could be quite useful when trying to find somewhere with the lowest crime rates in the UK

:err:...Perth? Quite a bit going on? I thought they closed the petrol stations at 4PM, and rolled up the footpath at the same time?.....I believe it may even be illegal for any money to change hands anywhere in the city at any time over the weekend...if it is the name of commerce!

Lol, I may be being a bit harsh...Melbourne is a tad more dynamic that our Great Western Frontier, however....

Ha ha, it has changed even in the last few years I have been here, when I first arrived nothing was open on a Sunday, but now I can happily :err: stroll around Coles on a Sunday.

And remeber, I grew up in a Wiltshire village with little more that a corner shop, so I guess to me Perth is pretty cool! (But I agree, nothing like Melbourne and Sydney!)

If you are open to anywhere on the south coast may I not so humbly fly the flag for Worthing, in West Sussex, my adopted town (I'm from Liverpool originally, but have lived with in London or Sussex since I was fifteen). Its really become a thriving town with a lively sense of community. And we are only a stones throw from Brighton and Chichester, both lovely shopping towns with very distinct characters. The beach is pebbly but its clean and there is sand to walk on when the tides out. It's also empty a lot of the time so you can always find a quiet spot for a BBQ without bothering anyone. Fifteen minute drive west and you will find sandy beaches. We also have the wonderful downs just behind us, great for walks and summer picnics. And we are only an hour and fifteen minute train journey to London Victoria. I love living here. I think its got everything. (Pic taken on firework night when the council lay on a free firework display.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ha ha, it has changed even in the last few years I have been here, when I first arrived nothing was open on a Sunday, but now I can happily :err: stroll around Coles on a Sunday.

And remeber, I grew up in a Wiltshire village with little more that a corner shop, so I guess to me Perth is pretty cool! (But I agree, nothing like Melbourne and Sydney!)

I can vouch for the excitement level on the rise in Perth. We have a 24 hour IGA supermarket here in Leederville (inner city)for the past two years.

If you are open to anywhere on the south coast may I not so humbly fly the flag for Worthing, in West Sussex, my adopted town (I'm from Liverpool originally, but have lived with in London or Sussex since I was fifteen). Its really become a thriving town with a lively sense of community. And we are only a stones throw from Brighton and Chichester, both lovely shopping towns with very distinct characters. The beach is pebbly but its clean and there is sand to walk on when the tides out. It's also empty a lot of the time so you can always find a quiet spot for a BBQ without bothering anyone. Fifteen minute drive west and you will find sandy beaches. We also have the wonderful downs just behind us, great for walks and summer picnics. And we are only an hour and fifteen minute train journey to London Victoria. I love living here. I think its got everything. (Pic taken on firework night when the council lay on a free firework display.)

I have some fond memories of living in Worthing for a year as a kid. Digging up worms during those long summer nights, when the tide out to fish at Shoreham, the fun of the pier, lived near to the beach so swam the whole summer. Beautiful Sussex countryside. Funny thing is that in all the following decades have only ever been back twice on day trips. Last time was 1989.

Go to Brighton frequently when back there and was looking at Eastbourne as a possible place to move to when seriously considered staying in England about five years ago, but never been there.

I have some fond memories of living in Worthing for a year as a kid. Digging up worms during those long summer nights, when the tide out to fish at Shoreham, the fun of the pier, lived near to the beach so swam the whole summer. Beautiful Sussex countryside. Funny thing is that in all the following decades have only ever been back twice on day trips. Last time was 1989.

Go to Brighton frequently when back there and was looking at Eastbourne as a possible place to move to when seriously considered staying in England about five years ago, but never been there.

Sounds like you have very fond memories of this part of the world. It really is lovely and Worthing is thriving, developing a real street cafe culture. I think Brighton has got so expensive it's influence is spilling out into Worthing. Shorehams lovely too. When I'm feeling particularly energetic I walk to Shoreham.

I'm afraid I don't know Eastbourne too well but I had a lovely night away in Battle a few years back and the East Sussex country side is lovely. You are spoilt for choice round here.

Edited by crackerjack

In my teens I went on holiday to Hove with friends. Loved it! Hope it hasn't changed too much over the decades.

Hove is really nice. Both my brother and sister live there. Personally I prefer Worthing but only because I like living somewhere a bit quieter, with big stretches of empty beach, but I can see the appeal.