Perth possibilities (compared to Melbourne)

ConfusedPommie

Hi all

I've recently been offered a very attractive job in Perth, but have a few queries which I would really like some answers to, to help me decide whether to move (again) and if so, help negotiate a decent package:

1) How much more expensive is Perth to Melbourne. My basic internet enquiries suggest around 10% - does this sound right?

2) What is the job/housing market like in Perth. With the apparent end of the mining boom, are Perth properties a good investment and are jobs still in high demand or in decline?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Depends what you want out of life. Perth has glorious beaches and better weather than Melbourne to enjoy them. Lot less crowded than Melbournes average beaches get on a nice day and free parking. So if you like going to the beach a lot then Perth could work out cheaper.

As for the property market I don't think Perth saw the increases over the last year or so that Sydney and Melbourne did, for some reason. Maybe people were just worried about the mining boom coming to an end and bit risking their cash? Maybe it's because there aren't so many auctions here so people don't get caught up in the auction frenzy then clap when people have paid way over the going rate for a property.

There are new properties in newly developed areas going up all the time so the supply is eventually going to way outstrip the demand. Especially as we don't need so many new migrants now so the influx should be slowing. Whether they are a good investment or not is anyone guess.

My thoughts are buy in a good area, something close to a good beach, in an established suburb and you won't go far wrong (if you can afford it). Buy in one of the newer suburbs where house and land packages are being offered at decent rates by the developers then it might turn out to be worth less than you paid for it in a few years.

If you want a nice house to live in for a long time though and aren't just buying for the wrong reason of house ownership (profit) then even those suburbs will be fine. Some nice new houses, mostly double brick and tile and decent new fittings. Lots of choice.

Depends what you want out of life. Perth has glorious beaches and better weather than Melbourne to enjoy them. Lot less crowded than Melbournes average beaches get on a nice day and free parking. So if you like going to the beach a lot then Perth could work out cheaper.

As for the property market I don't think Perth saw the increases over the last year or so that Sydney and Melbourne did, for some reason. Maybe people were just worried about the mining boom coming to an end and bit risking their cash? Maybe it's because there aren't so many auctions here so people don't get caught up in the auction frenzy then clap when people have paid way over the going rate for a property.

There are new properties in newly developed areas going up all the time so the supply is eventually going to way outstrip the demand. Especially as we don't need so many new migrants now so the influx should be slowing. Whether they are a good investment or not is anyone guess.

My thoughts are buy in a good area, something close to a good beach, in an established suburb and you won't go far wrong (if you can afford it). Buy in one of the newer suburbs where house and land packages are being offered at decent rates by the developers then it might turn out to be worth less than you paid for it in a few years.

If you want a nice house to live in for a long time though and aren't just buying for the wrong reason of house ownership (profit) then even those suburbs will be fine. Some nice new houses, mostly double brick and tile and decent new fittings. Lots of choice.

+1.

I'd pretty much agree with this, and just add not much is moving in Perth property, so no harm in renting for a bit and getting to know nthe market and finding your preferred location.

Perth has glorious beaches and better weather than Melbourne to enjoy them. Lot less crowded than Melbournes average beaches get on a nice day and free parking.

Melbourne also has great beaches, Perth's are definitely more "stunning" but we actually chose Melbourne to live in because the beaches in the residential suburbs are amazing and we can walk to them from home. Oh, and we also have free parking at our beaches for residents, only tourists have to pay and even they can park 2 mins walk away for nothing!

In my opinion the weather in Melbourne is excellent, I think I would find Perth consistently too hot, nice for a holiday.

BB

Depends what the job offer is and whether you will enjoy the job. Have you been offered a job in Melbourne?

Perth is ok for a visit but for me I prefer the East Coast as its easier to get to other places. Also as has been said we do have good beaches here. The bay beaches are ideal for children and people who do not like big waves and a lot of them are quite shallow. Excellent when our children were young. The surf beaches are popular and there are a lot of them. A leg of the World Surfing Championships is held at Bells Beach each year.

More diversity in Melbourne and being a much larger population more choice I believe.

Perth would be too hot for me. I like the four seasons of the year. Also our water is better lol

I would look at where the salary you would earn in each city would afford you to live, whilst there is plenty of 'affordable' housing in Perth (circa $500k), the most desirable suburbs near the CBD are silly money and rest are very suburban (which some people like, I don't). We were lead to believe however that we would have to commute much further if we had worked in Melbourne, as you have to go further out for more affordable housing. You can't really judge on the median prices of each city, you need to get down to suburb level - this is a useful map of house prices in Perth, I don't know if you can get something similar for Melbourne.

http://reiwa.com.au/The-WA-Market/Perth-Median-House-Price-Map/

Although I have been known to have the odd moan about the Perth weather, it absolutely has 4 seasons and is only really too hot for around a month - the plus side is there 9 months of near perfect weather.