Salaries UK v AUS

grahamffc

Hi all,

When reading posts most people mention that "salaries are higher in Australia" but while some salaries may be 4x higher wile another might only be marginay higher or even lower. I think it would help the many of prospective migrants who come on this forum if they could find some info about their profession as opposed to a blanket statement. Plus I am curious myself as to which jobs enjoy the biggest increase! I appreciate its personal info that many people will not want to divulge.

It would help to say where both are/were as regions have an impact in both countries.

Ignore exchange rates as they change all the time, and costs of living is a totally different topic and will vary massively depending on situations and lifestyle choices.

Please include super in Australian salaries as it will be your money one day. I'll get the ball rolling:

Accountant:

UK (London): 40,000 GBP

AUS (Melbourne): 75,000 AUD

I worked as a project financial analyst in the UK and am a Finance Administrator here with slightly less responsibility. Both had pension on top of basic salary but I'm not sure exactly how much they are so have left off. Basic salary for each:

UK (Rotherham, but would apply UK wide) 30,000 GBP

Australia (Adelaide) 60,000 AUD

On leaving the UK

Test Manager

UK (Glasgow) £450 per day (contract)

AUS (Perth) $76,000 (permanent)

By the time we returned to the UK

AUS (Perth) $900 per day (contract)

UK (Edinburgh) £525 a day (contract)

Financially much better off in the UK as cost of housing is significantly less.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

I am not really sure what teaching salaries are like in the UK now. However, in Australia teaching salaries vary from state to state.

In WA a teacher with nine years experience receives $95,459 , whilst a new graduate receives $63,118 as their starting salary. WA teachers are the highest paid in Australia. A teacher who acquires level three status earns $103,090.

I would be interested to know how this compares to the UK.

I would be interested in the differences of the following if any of you can provide:

- Van drivers (car license only)

- Warehouse operatives (packing staff)

In NZ we are paying $20 for drivers and $18 for Warehouse operatives

Interested in Oz (by state) and UK Comparatives

The accountants are on far more than mentioned by OP but that might be range of duties?

It's a bit hard for me to make an accurate calculation since with seniority my wage as a hospital doctor would have gone up in the UK by now but when I left the UK in 2013, I was getting around £28000 a year after taxes as a year 3 trainee that's including the variation in salary for working antisocial hours, xmas etc etc. doing at least 48 hour weeks (paid 48 often easily worked another 10 hours on top a week unpaid to ensure continuity of care).

In Australia, I do around 40 hours a week and get paid $81000 a year (I salary package so that reduces tax paid which I could not do in UK. I also get around $3000 a year at the end of the tax year).

I assumed I'd be around £32000 if I'd stayed in the UK so that'll be a grand total of £32000 versus $84000.

To be honest, I'm not here for the money and I'd happily work for a lot less in Australia - it's the famous life/work balance

that means I'd struggle to go back to the UK.

Edited by nikopol

Social worker in UK: £30 per hour

social worker/caseworker in Sydney: $29.11 per hour

hi there, I work in Republic ofmireland but live in UK so am wondering weller what is the annual salary of the 30 per hour in UK as I see in sydney it is $63 k per year for $30 per HR .

I aim for case manager which is $70k and in ireland would be. Equiv to €65 k

Database/Programer IT all rounder 34,000 Pounds UK (Birmingham)

Database/Programer IT all rounder 80,000 Dollars AUS (Melbourne)

Would say about the same.

Developer 37,000 UK (Reading)

Developer 90,000 Aus (Perth)

But I now contract as the rates are a bit better, $600 - $750 day - for a standard Developer.

In general I think tradies are paid a lot better here in Aus. A lot work FIFO and the money can be very good. My son is a sparkie working FIFO and he gets really good money. He worked in Perth before that as a site electrician and was on decent money there too. On top of that he cold claim for his XR6 Turbo Ute on his tax rebate, He got $8,000 back one year, the accountant even claimed the interest he's paid on his loan.

The tax rules here are a bit strange but can work in your favour. He's been on a couple of courses that should help him progress in his career and he can claim for those too.

About the same (based off 2:1) Like the perk of walking home in the sun, sure beats those depressing winters when it is looking dark and depressing out the window already at half 3.

Also Brisbane cost of living much < London so I guess salary is better in Oz

Edited by Guest

Electrician in QLD doing town work is anything from $65k to $75k plus 9% super on top, UK is about 30k sterling.

Electrician working in the mines $120k to $180k mainly coal mines on an even time roster, 7/7.

Electrician on FIFO in oil and gas construction can be anything over $200k+ but thats working a 4/1 roster.

Suppose the oil rig jobs in the north sea would be comparable to the mines but not sure.