189 VISA- Can you do any job??

Smithjed

Hi Guys,

I currently live in QLD on a 457 and want to gain both permanent residency and the freedom to be self employed, do whatever job I would like.:arghh:

If you apply for a 189 VISA as a veterinarian and you are given that visa, do you have to work full time/ at all/ in that profession/ for a certain salary/ hours?? Is there freedom??

My other option is to apply for a partner VISA 801 which was my preference but $7000 versus $3500

Any advice greatfully received

Thanks

Jodie

You can work in any occupation as the holder of a 189 but when looking at comparative costs, keep in mind that for a 189, you will also have the cost of skills assessment on top of the visa charge. No idea how much the assessment fee is (the AVBC site fees link gives an error) but if you don't want to work as a vet and therefore don't need registration, a Partner visa may be easier and may not be much more expensive. Of course, a 189 is permanent and an 820/801 is only permanent if you meet the requirements to go straight to the 801 without the 2 year temporary phase.

Edited by Ozmaniac

Ah ok, so you have to pay for "skillsselct" you can't just provide evidence to get those points??

You can't submit an EOI for a 189 until you have a positive skills assessment from AVBC. Given that you're already registered, you will obviously be able to get one but you will need to apply and pay for it. It may not be very expensive or difficult but that's something you need to investigate.

I've looked into that and that part shouldn't be a problem. I do want to apply for a different VISA asap but obviously after applying an EOI how long does it generally take- you aren't guaranteed an invitation! It says it can be valid for 2 years- that is a long time to wait.

most people get their 189 invitations within a month and grants within 3-5 months from entering eoi details into skillselect. Exception are those from high risk countries.

Thank you Kuroro. I am feeling quite positive about this visa now and am starting to get all my bits sorted for it.

Has anyone had to bring over a parent after being given permanent residency on a 189 visa??

Has anyone had to bring over a parent after being given permanent residency on a 189 visa??

Many people have but that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

You will need to have lived in Australia for two years before you can sponsor a parent.

The most basic requirement for a Parent visa is that the parent must be able to pass the Balance of Family test which requires that at least half of their children live permanently in Australia or that more of their children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

Then you need money- LOTS of it! Because the waiting list is so long for the 'standard' Parent visa (30+ years), the only really practical option (processing time 18-24 months) is a Contributory Parent visa which will cost around $50,000 for each parent.

Edited by Ozmaniac
Grammar

Then you need money- LOTS of it! Because the waiting list is so long for the 'standard' Parent visa (30+ years), the only really practical option (processing time 18-24 months) is a Contributory Parent visa which will cost around $50,000 for each parent.

Holy moly that is a lot!! Ridiculous! I am my mother's only child so that part is easy....all so frigging expensive