Overseas work experience points

Joachim

Hi

i got my employment assessed and they have given me a positive assessment from Mar 2010 onwards which is 5 points for 3+ yrs experience, this is from when my membership to ACCA was approved

however I got my final exams in Feb 2009 and therefore I would have 10 points based on 5yrs experience

could someone please advise me on whether I can claim the 10 points for 5yrs experience instead of the 5 points for just 3 yrs

im a qualified accountant about to submit my EOI

i appreciate any help on this at all

If your skills assessment says you were qualified from March 2010, you would be most unwise to claim for any experience before then. If you need more points and are not already claiming maximum points for English, do one of the English tests to get your points that way. You could do IELTS General (Academic is only needed for skills assessment and General is easier).

Hi Ozmaniac

thanks for your reply but I don't see why I can't use any experience after I completed my exams? The membership is only a formal step? Do you think I will be penalised if I do? I'm not submitting my employment assessment as it's not a requirement for the visa

i got 20 points in the academic English test so I'm fine with that

I'd suggest either going back to the skills assessor to see if they can be convinced to adjust the date to 2009 based on your exam completion, or try to get points through IELTS as Ozmaniac suggested. I think you'd be taking a huge risk trying to claim points that don't match up with the skills assessment, and losing a visa application fee can be a costly risk.

Hi Ozmaniac

thanks for your reply but I don't see why I can't use any experience after I completed my exams? The membership is only a formal step? Do you think I will be penalised if I do? I'm not submitting my employment assessment as it's not a requirement for the visa

i got 20 points in the academic English test so I'm fine with that

They may have considered your degree to be below the required standard or perhaps you were missing some of the Core Knowledge Areas or there may be some other reason that it said From March 2010 rather than from some earlier date. You can't get any more points for English if you're already claiming 20 so if you're short of the required 60 points with only 5 points for experience, you shouldn't submit an EOI without confirming with your skills assessment authority that they considered you to be qualified before March 2010. If you have 60 points without the additional experience points, just submit your EOI with that rather than taking a chance on losing your VAC - it won't take more than a couple of invitation rounds to get an invite with 60 points even for your pro-rated occupation.