Any other hairdressers out there applying for vetassess?

Vickiw89

I phoned a immigration office and they said i can apply yay. I was looking through the tra and wanted to no about videos of ur evidence do you have to get someone to sign it off or do u just send it

Hi Libby that's great! you just send them in, you don't have to get them signed off. But there is other paperwork where you need to show where your employer (if in a salon) signs to say you are confident in your job. And you need to show your proof of previous employment etc. have you done a chemical straightening before? That was the hardest part for me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi laura I don't work in a salon but did do chemical straightening before only a few times so would properly need to brush up on them things I don't have a certificate for that tho only have my level 1 and 2 but coz I've wrk ed in the industry for 10 years it covered it. Did u apply on line or post?

I did the same applied online and sent paperwork through the post, like Laura said it's a lot of paperwork!

Laura how are you getting on?

Hey vicki

All good here in NZ!! We are waiting until nxt week to see if the occupation list stays the same! If so we will apply to NT. We are in Auckland almost 9 months and know NZ is not for us and oz is the goal!! 2 years in Darwin will fly anyway!! Have you any update on your visa?

Hey vicki

All good here in NZ!! We are waiting until nxt week to see if the occupation list stays the same! If so we will apply to NT. We are in Auckland almost 9 months and know NZ is not for us and oz is the goal!! 2 years in Darwin will fly anyway!! Have you any update on your visa?

Wow 9 months already? That's gone so quick! Have you been down to the south island yet? Be interesting to see what happens next week with the lists, I'm hoping queensland or nsw doesn't come back on ill be gutted!

Not a peep yet with my visa, we need to book out medicals soon but didn't realise how pricey they were!

Edited by MaggieMay24
Fixed quote

Wow 9 months already? That's gone so quick! Have you been down to the south island yet? Be interesting to see what happens next week with the lists, I'm hoping queensland or nsw doesn't come back on ill be gutted!

Not a peep yet with my visa, we need to book out medicals soon but didn't realise how pricey they were!

Ye we took a trip down to Queenstown few weeks ago! Loved it down there.

I'm hoping qld comes on the list [emoji23] But I can't be too fussy at this stage!

Hopefully u hear something soon

Hi girls. thanks for this forum, just spent like 30 mins reading through it all and writing all the questions down, so its helped me a lot to prepare. I have 2nd stage technical interview on the 13th, so just under 2 weeks. im honestly shitting myself! I have 8 years experience and aswell like most of you have never done chemically straightening or an outline shave. its ridiculous half the questions they ask you are the silly ones you learn at college and then never use again day to day in a salon! im currently in Perth but from Norwich applying for the 187 visa. just need to pass this technical interview so I can get it lodged! If anyone has recently took the technical and have anymore tips, or different questions tjey were asked would be muchly appreciated :)

Thanks Libby. Jesus I can't really remember as I've sent it all to my agent couple months back but had to wait ages for the date off my skills assessment. I had to provide all my qualifications, letters from previous employers, my accounts from the previous 5 years that I was self employed, tax documents, my CV, passport (a copy), birth certificate, photos of me doing a perm, outline shave, colours, Mens cuts. Why did yours fail last time? It's so stressful isn't it! X

When I applied last time it came back saying I didn't meet th requirements I think I didn't add either evidence to tell u truth as all I sent was my references and certificate so this time I want to make sure I have everything I'm finding this very stressful lol but really hoping to pass but thank you for letting me no as it gives me a rough idea what to get x

• 8 months later...

Hi I have got my technical interview in Sydney 22 march 2017

i am in Adelaide. So I guess it is face to face interview rather than Skype interview

plz help if anybody had same in hairdresser

any help appreciated

so nurves

also plz refer where to do preparation

thanks

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

i just sat my technical interview in Melbourne and wanted to give an update to this feed since I used this forum to help guide me through what to expect and found it very helpful. 

So here are the questions I was asked that were the same as above: 

What way would you hold your fingers when cutting a graduated bob?
Name 3 hazards in the salon and explain how you would fix it? 
How do you know when to neutralise a chemical straightening? 
How would you scissors over comb a man's hair?
How would you put up a french roll?
i also got asked what two things we as hairdressers do that harm the environment, and name some ways of how we can contribute to the environment.
how you maintain your tools and equipment.

Other then the above questions I was asked none of what everyone else has posted so I think they have changed there questions. 

Here re some questions I was asked: 

how do you ensure personal hygiene stanadards are kept? 

How do you communicate in the salon? 

How do you prepare your work station? 

How do you minimise cross infection? 

How do you remove colour from the head? 

How do you remove processed foils? 

How do you prepare basin area? 

Give an example of a client complaint and how you delt with it? 

Describe how you would do a short graduation and round later combination cut? 

I was shown a picture of a short grad bob and asked where I would start cutting the hair.

ask how I would do a combination of three cutting techniques in one cut. 

I was asked how I scissor over comb

i was asked how to do a short back and sides 

I was asked how I would do a longer men's style 

I was asked how I would do a fashionable men's style 

how do you ensure your client has an even colour?

what questions do you ask in a colour consultation? 

What skin conditions have you identified in the salon and what was your advice? 

How do you do a partial or full head of foils? 

Name two colour correction techniques you have done and describe the process? 

How would you apply a scalp bleach to virgin hair? 

How would you apply a touch up scalp bleach? 

I had to explain the process for chemical straightening step by step- despite never having done one so please note the multiple choice option no longer exsists and I've got to thank the girls on this post previously because if it wasn't for them I would not have studied this before hand- fingers crossed I answererd correct. 

What chemical straightening products are on the market? (Like what brand) 

are flat irons used in a chemical service? 

How would you do a curly blow dry? 

How would you do a volumised blow dry? 

Give examples of how you recommend additional products and services to clients? 

How do you straighten hair? 

Thats all I can remember for now. These were all from the compulsory units which if you go to Vetassess website and find hairdressing fact sheet states which units are compulsory. You then select three selective units to answer questions on, again you will find information on choices of elective units on Vetassess website. 

I selected: 

Braids: 

how would you complete a 2 strand braid? 

How would you complete a 3 strand braid? 

How would you complete a 4 strand valid? 

Then I selected Stocktake: 

how do you receive stock in the salon? 

Where do you store it? 

Then I selected Hair extensions: 

how do you prepare hair extensions prior to application? 

Describe the process of adding hair extensions? 

Describe how you would blend in hair Exstensions? 

And that was it. So fingers crossed I passed. I know there's not much online in the way of guidance through this stressful time (we all just want to do a practical don't we?!??)  and this was the only forum I found that gave me any help and guidance to which I am grateful for so I just thought I would add to it and update on my experience today! 

I hope this helps someone :-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

I've been reading through this thread for a few weeks as I also have to do a skills assessment. 

Vicki and Laura the information you have supplied has been really great, I feel I have more of an understand of what to expect. 

Also Bella, thank you for listing some of your question too. 

Could I ask a little about video evidence submitted, I know Vicki and Laura have covered a little on what they did with their videos, but I'm unsure how to make them and whether to try to talk through the process or do a voice over.

Bella what did you submit in terms of videos, how many and what were they? Do you think there is a criteria on how many to send.

Vicki and Laura how have things worked out for you both, I'm guessing you should both have finally finished the process by now? 

Thanks guys. 

Hiya,

Glad you have found some of the info helpful! With the videos, I explained what I was going to do and then got my partner to film a minute or so of each technique. I can't remember what I filmed now but I did highlights and an all over colour, I also did a couple of cuts and blow drys. I provided photos for men's shave etc.

I think all in all the video would have been 10/15 mins long, as long as you show that you can do each technique I'm sure you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, we are still waiting on our visa! Our plans changed and we applied for a 186 visa last May which we are still waiting on, hopefully it won't be much longer!

Which visa are you applying for? 

Thanks for the reply and the info on the videos. So did you edit the videos or mute the sound at times? Were your videos taken in the salon or at home? I'm not sure what program to use for editing videos or even how to send them over...tech novice haha.

I'm sorry to hear you are still waiting, wow it's really taken a while. It's a very slow process and I guess the change in your situation may have held things up. I'm guessing you changed visa applications.

I have a job offer 187 RSMS in NT.

Thanks again for your advice. 

No I did mine all from home, we just filmed it on a normal camera all I did was talk about what I was going to do and how I was going to do it first which was a couple of minutes and then filmed a little bit of the procedure, I sometimes talked through what I was doing as I was doing it. Was so easy and a very small part of my application, I did a lot of step by step with photos and writing.

We were originally going to apply for Qld but whilst I was waiting for my cert 3 from vetasses this was taken off this list! So had a job offer from Tasmania on a 186, but the wait times are so long, when we applied it was 4-6 months and now it's 10-12, the 187's are about the same so you may be in for a long wait also! Are you currently offshore?

Hi brills
I was the same as Vicky with the visa, I was going to apply to qld but while waiting for the vetasses cert hairdressing was taken off the list. I was fed up at that stage and went to New Zealand for a year.
I came back last September and put my eoi in for NT in November. I have been offered a 489 visa just last week. I submitted the application and 2 days later was asked for medicals and the other documents. I have my medical booked for may 2nd, that was the nearest appointment.

With regards to making the videos I set up a camera on a tripod and recorded a full haircut, colour, hilites, perm, mans cut and beard trim. I downloaded a movie editor online and muted them and set them on quick speed so they were about 7mins long. I also did a voice over explaining my technique. I also took photos of upstyles and sent them aswell.

Hey guys, 

I'm onshore and my employer has submitted my 186 nomination, I'm just awaiting my Vetassess results to submit my side of the application. I have my medical on Wednesday but I'm aware they may re ask me to do this as waiting times are so long. 

Its frustrating however as I'm onshore I will be put on a bridging visa whilst I await so I can still stay here. 

Notthern territory and Tasmania are both offering 190 state sponsorship for hairdressing still- I almost moved to Tassie in order to obtain my PR however my employer wanted to keep me in the end and therefore started the lengthy and complicated 186 visa application for which I am very grateful for. 

I actually managed to get a job in Tassie at a lovely salon so I can recommend anyone if you guys did want to take the tassie route as I no they are still looking and we're keen on having people who were commited as they have had some bad luck with Aussie staff. 

With regards to videos--- I didn't submit any? I submitted 12 years of salon experience. Letters from all 3 employers as well as payslips and bank statements for the whole period. I submitted level 1,2 and 3 nvq hair. Level 3 nvq management, and TAQA vocational assessors award for hair. I then submitted all my additional certificates for L'Oréal , Wella, hair extensions, cutting courses I've done over the years. I think I had about 30 certificates all in all. 

I then submitted around 50 photos of cuts and colours and bridal hair and hair extensions I've done over the years. Because I wasn't in all the photos however I did do the requirement of taking before during and after photos of me doing;

mens cut and beard trim

full head foils and cut 

and I bought a dolls head to perm 

all of which was sufficient and I wasn't required to submit any more documents- I had my successful outcome within 3 weeks of submitting everything. 

I don't no if it's different because I'm onshore? Or maybe it's because I haven't used a migration agent... I just went through all the paper work and requirements and rang up throughout the process to ensure I included all the evidence required. 

From what I can gather you can either submit videos or photos as evidence - as long as you cover the criteria required and show what they want then your fine. 

Again I don't know if this is because I'm onshore. 

Laura and Vicki where abouts are you girls now? 

Brills are you currently in the Uk? 

Hi bellabonkers, congrats on your successful skills assessment I hope you don't mind but could I pick your brains about the technical interview, I'm also onshore at the minute and I seen you did it in Melbourne, which is where I'll be going any tips on what I can expect? 

Thanks ?