Any other hairdressers out there applying for vetassess?

Vickiw89

Hi edel I didn't put in video for upstyle but I sent pictures from my portfolio I probably should had because then I might not of been asked to explain french roll.

My advice with the videos would be to put as many in as you can because the more areas you cover in you videos the less questions you will be asked in the interview.

I found it hard to explain graduated bob even though I cut them all the time. He asked me what way I would hold my fingers nothing about angles I said I would hold my 2 cutting fingers upwards, and he couldn't understand this he wanted me to change my answer because he kept saying why and would it not be a better position to point fingers downwards. I didn't change my answer and he just said Mmm and let's move on. In my college book it shows pics of demo and the fingers are pointed upwards. So I feel I answered this right.

Ye i would deffo brush up I will put up a few more of the questions I was asked that I can remember.

fingers pointing down?! That's so weird, that's impossible to see what you're doing with your fingers pointing down!

i also got asked what two things we as hairdressers do that harm the environment, and name some ways of how we can contribute to the environment.

yes also the chemical straightening one, I still cannot find the answer online.

what tools and equipment you use.

how you maintain your tools and equipment.

what way I put grips in for hair up.

how I work with a face shape to create a suited hair style.

How I would do a scalp plait on someone that has a fringe, and how I would secure it.

i agree with Laura, the more videos the better. Oh I was also asked how I would get rid of lines from perm rods, how I put a perm rod in, what I do to stop the band making a mark on the hair and how to neutralise, how I apply the perm solution, what ppe is available for me and clients.

I'm in contact with a migration agent at the moment, I don't think I'm putting my eoi in just yet, we need to work out how much money we need etc and because my bf and I have been traveling for such a long time it might be hard to prove de facto as we don't have consistent evidence of rent and bills etc but I'll see what the agent says!

did your agent say anything about funds for the NT? I had a look at the requirements in case we didn't have enough for qld and it said for one applicant plus spouse we needed $50,000? I really hope not!!

Ye it is hard to prove de fecto. We set up a joint bank account about 4 years ago. And we were renting at the time but We are living with my parents now to save for oz so we have no recent bills in our name.

Ye it is $50,000 for NT for us. We don't have it but my family have said they can put money into my bank to prove funds, I'm just not sure if this will work because I will be taking the money back out once I have statement.

Because of my vetassess delay though I'm not gonna get to submit eoi before July 1st so im hoping SA will be back on the list. They don't require any prof of funds and that's were we wanna go.

Yeah we have a joint bank account in New Zealand since August, and one in the UK since December. And we can prove bank transfers between us since May 2013, and rent for the same address from Jan 14 - July 14. We have been living at home though since we came home, and haven't been paying any official rent, which might be hard to prove I guess. Although we move into our own place next week until we leave for oz, so we might have to live there for a while before submitting an eoi.

It's such a lot of money isn't it! We will have to do the same, we have roughly $20,000 between us, but they are in UK ISA's etc. I'm not sure how it works with loaning the money from a family member, we will have to do the same but I don't see why it would matter!

No I don't think we will either, I'm hoping a 190 in qld will come up! or SA, I loved it there. I only have 4 years post experience though and I'm no longer and employed hairdresser, which might not help me, so it might be the NT for me too!!

Hi found the answer to the chemical straightening it's here on http://www.salon.yuko-europe.com. there's 2 test you can do test hair for elasticity if it soft and stretches it's ready to neutralise or if you loop the hair around 2 fingers and place in your palm it should stay that way if it's goes back to it's natural state it's not ready to be neutralised

Ye so would I. I'd be thinking it's gonna snap off. I've just read the steps and I suppose it makes sense that the bonds in the hair have to be broken down to reshape the hair and this is why this happens. At least we know. I reckon this is how I failed because he said during interview if you don't pass this section you will fail!!

There isn't much work in New Zealand, my partner and I struggled to find anything paid and ended up working for accommodation. There is a lot of work in Auckland, I just didn't like it there at all! To gain a New Zealand residence visa you also need a job offer which can be hard!

so is the answer to the chemical straightening question, pull the hair? I would freak if I did that as I thought it meant it was over processed/damaged? I want to ask for feedback on my technical interview but may wait until I have the aqf III incase they change their mind!! Just had word from go Matilda they are happy to take us on as they think we have a good chance first stop ielts yay!!

Hi ladies, new to all this haven't applied for anything yet , qualified in level 2 in 2012 & level 3 2013 but not much experience in a salon more mobile so worrying now if I would qualify for any visa , my great aunt and cousin live in qld so would like myself & hubby 3 children to end up there. Not sure what visa to go for? or how much we would need ? ect ect . unsure if to apply myself or get agent to. So any advice would be great help thank you

Hi kirsty welcome. I would recommend getting an assessment from an agent and at least you will know what visa you will be eligible for. Visafirst gave me a free assesment recently. Be sure to get a regestered agent if using one because you don't want to get screwed.

I qualify for a 190 or 489 visa. You need to prove a min of 2 years experience and 5 years for other states. And that is to live in regional areas. Have you gone onto immi.gov.au and done and research.

Hi Kirsty welcome to poms in oz :) I agree with Laura, get advice from a migration agent. Go Matilda are brilliant, highly recommended on here and I have been using them recently and they have been great so far. Have a look on anzscosearch type in 391111 for hairdresser and you can see which states are sponsoring hairdressers and what each state requires, it's really helpful.

Heya girls,

Just a quick question I'm starting the video's tomorrow and I'm just wondering if yous did a full recording of each model? Seems a bit much to do if I'm doing a tint hillites cut and blow dry. Or will I just do snippets of me doing it

I did a full silent video. Then I edited it using free software called audacity!! I made my clips into about 3-7 minutes depending what I was demonstrating. I edited it that it was the full video in fast fwd and slowed it down when showing detail. I also added a voice over explaining what I was doing. If you YouTube how to use the software it will teach you. It was very time consuming and maybe there is a simpler way but that's what I did.

Laura sounds like she did it all properly! I got my bf to film it on my iphone, just a few minutes of each thing I was demonstrating and talked about what I was doing and why as I did it, I then strung it all together using Microsoft movie maker! I also wrote a couple of paragraphs in my paper work explaining it all, although I said it all on the vid. Let us know how you get on!

Thanks vicky I did a couple videos today, it took forever getting it setup and I felt so awkward talking to the camera, that's a great idea adding in a couple paragraphs with the video, I'll definitely be doing that

I felt awkward talking to the camera too! But it's worth it in the end! I also did sheets with photos on of me doing certain things and writing about it, such as a perm, I couldn't find anyone to have a proper perm so I took a few photos of sectioning and winding on my mum and wrote about it, which is handy of you can't find anyone got certain things!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi girls!! I have been given a new date for my repeat of vetassess next week in belfast. I'm so glad I don't have to fly back to Manchester that would of been expensive.

I'm was told I failed on colour and chemical straightening so I just have to resit them sections.

Has anyone got any further with your plans.