Any other hairdressers out there applying for vetassess?

Vickiw89

Hi again guys.

Sorry for the delay in replying. 
The information needed to submit for the skills assessment has taken up a fair amount of my time. 

Bella, you submitted so many certificates and courses that you have done, plus with many years experience I guess they just didn't need any video evidence. Well done. 
I've started gathering statements from my regular customers and taking lots photos of my work too so it's coming along slowly.
And well done on your skills assessment, that's really great news. 

Vicky you must have been so frustrated when Hairdressing was taken off the list in QLD, this is always the worry. I have been informed that in NT hairdressers are very much in shortage so fingers crossed. 
That's good you have a job offer though.
I am in the U.K and yes have been told the wait can be around a year but I thought that was for the whole process, or is this just the visa alone? 

Same for you Laura, you must have been so annoyed with the changes. Good luck with your medical, do you know what it will involve?

Thanks again to you all for the information on what you did. It's very helpful for me.

Lauren, if you read right back on this thread there's a fair bit of info on what questions the girls have been asked in their technical interviews. 
It's surprising because even after all these years of hairdressing, some of the questions are still quite challenging so I think some refreshment of the basics is a good idea. 

Emma x
  • Like 1

Hi again girls.

I'm just wondering if you can advise me on something?

In regards to Vetesses, am I able to register online now ready for applying, even I'm not ready to submit my documents just?

Is there a time limited between registering and actually submitting the evidence? 

Or is it better to wait to register and apply in one go?

Thank you.

Emma 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017 at 19:57, laurenday said:

Hi bellabonkers, congrats on your successful skills assessment I hope you don't mind but could I pick your brains about the technical interview, I'm also onshore at the minute and I seen you did it in Melbourne, which is where I'll be going any tips on what I can expect? 

Thanks ?

Hello Lauren,

I've only just seen this message, sorry i hope i'm not too late.

When is your interview?

Bella

On 5/2/2017 at 03:36, Brills33 said:

Hi again girls.

I'm just wondering if you can advise me on something?

In regards to Vetesses, am I able to register online now ready for applying, even I'm not ready to submit my documents just?

Is there a time limited between registering and actually submitting the evidence? 

Or is it better to wait to register and apply in one go?

Thank you.

Emma 

Hi Emma,

You can go online and start the process and then add documents for evidence later.

Its quite a lengthy process so will probably be less stressful breaking it up anyway :-)

Sorry I've only just seen this too! The visa will take around 12 months without the vetasses process etc, current application time is around 10-12 months for a 186 visa direct entry. My application is finally open after just under 13 months, so now we will wait and see what happens. When we originally put our 186 application in the processing time was 4-6 months so prepare yourself for a longer wait and then hopefully you won't go insane waiting like we have!

Hope everything is going ok with your vetassess, it's a long process but will be worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

i had had lodged my visa on 11th march 2016, a case officer was assigned on April 26 2017, last document was submitted in July 3rd week, since then was awaiting for the result since then, almost an year.

Mine is a home based beauty n hair studio. Yesterday morning there was a physical verification at my home. Many questions were asked. I answered them satisfactorily. I hope ? so. I have been told I'm closer to the result. 

Hope to get positive result ?.

Hi All,

I am in the process of getting all my evidence together, Its like doing an NVQ all over again. I have collected a lot of evidence with images and references and due to being self employed I have letters from my accountant, tax forms etc. But there are some units I don't normally do like everyone. Do I need evidence for every single unit or do you think I could miss one / two. One is the scalp bleach because its not something my clients ask for and the other is the straighten hair using chemical treatments. I do relax a clients hair but she is not due for a few months now and don't want to wait that long. Any ideas? Help!

Hi Emma ,

i guess even though you don't do some units , make sure you know the process, how you do it , why you do it . I've been asked the complete process of chemical straightening, how you'll the hair needs to neutralise . So just get the knowledge of it.

Hi all,

Emma Louise I'm at a similar stage to you, I'm almost completed and ready to submit, I've been uploading my documents online for the last few days with just a little more to do. I have evidence for most things, but where some might be a little less direct I've written up my understanding of that unit, I'm not sure if this is acceptable but hopefully this will be ok. 

As for the videos, how did everyone submit theirs? Did I ready somewhere rhey have to go on a memory stick or CD, and post? I'm unsure where I have to send it? 

Any advice on this will be fantastic, thank you.

Emma 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ladies, 

Hope your all well! With regards to evidence, you only have to submit images/videos showing before, during and after of the following: 

Mens cut 

Mens Beard shape 

Woman's Highlights 

Womans cut (Any) 

and a Perm

There is absolutely no requirement to submit any further photographic or video evidence- however if you happen to have more (I had loads of photos of colours and cuts I have done over the years as well as bridal hair) then you should absolutely submit. 

My main point is if you have covered the items required above then there is no need to stress about adding more- but if you happen to have the evidence anyway then upload... the more the better. 

The compulsary units listed (e.g. Scalp bleach and perm straightening) are for the benefit of the second stage only. You need to know the entire process for chemical straightening (and scalp bleach)- I'm so relieved I studied this as there was no multiple choice and I had to describe the process step by step. All of my questions asked and what to expect for the second stage are posted earlier in the forum. 

Again as I've said in the past- you don't actually have to send in videos, I think this is a common misconception and what migrate agents recommend, however I did mine all myself (without an agent) and used the Vetassess website as a guide as well as calling the Vetassess office a couple of times in order to prepare my evidence and found that the video upload is an option ONLY. 

I submitted all of my evidence, was not asked for further documents and saled through to the second section - all documents were photos, certIficates and references. 

Im currently awaiting my employer nomination under the ENS 186 visa. Applied in March, looks although I have a long wait ahead though as waitIng times have been increased this month to 90% visas within 13 months, however im onshore and relaxed now everything is submitted.... time for patience! Might take up some yoga! Haha! 

Happy to help if any one has any more questions. 

Bella 

Hi Bella

Thank you for the advice, I've now submitted all my evidence online,  plus videos sent to Melbourne on a USB, I was asked to provide a few more bits which I did so just waiting to hear back now. 

As for the chemical straight service, it's not something I've really done but I know a bit about it from others that have, but there's so many types of straightening products, some with the use of irons, some without. So a little worrying as to what answers they will be looking for in the step by steps, although I guess if I explain that, all should be ok? 

Wow thats quite a long wait, but it's good to hear you are feeling relaxed now your paperwork is all in. Good luck with the process. 

I've been advised that once the visa application starts it could take a year, so we are hoping for the end of next summer.

Thanks again for your advice, this forum has been very helpful, thanks girls x 

On 29/06/2017 at 18:43, Brills33 said:

Hi Bella

Thank you for the advice, I've now submitted all my evidence online,  plus videos sent to Melbourne on a USB, I was asked to provide a few more bits which I did so just waiting to hear back now. 

As for the chemical straight service, it's not something I've really done but I know a bit about it from others that have, but there's so many types of straightening products, some with the use of irons, some without. So a little worrying as to what answers they will be looking for in the step by steps, although I guess if I explain that, all should be ok? 

Wow thats quite a long wait, but it's good to hear you are feeling relaxed now your paperwork is all in. Good luck with the process. 

I've been advised that once the visa application starts it could take a year, so we are hoping for the end of next summer.

Thanks again for your advice, this forum has been very helpful, thanks girls x 

Hey ?? 

It's vest to learn the Chemical straightening process as listed in the Australian hairdressing training book. 

All the questions I was asked were from that book (like our equiviliant to City and guilds NVQ 2 hairdressing) 

Definetly worth investing in as it helped me so much. 

Good luck 

On 02/07/2017 at 03:28, Bellabonkers said:

Hey ?? 

It's vest to learn the Chemical straightening process as listed in the Australian hairdressing training book. 

All the questions I was asked were from that book (like our equiviliant to City and guilds NVQ 2 hairdressing) 

Definetly worth investing in as it helped me so much. 

Good luck 

Great thank you again for your advice again, what was the actual name of the book you bought, I've had a look online but unsure as to which book to get? 

Thank you x 

Hello Lauren,
I've only just seen this message, sorry i hope i'm not too late.
When is your interview?
Bella

Hi! Sorry for delay, been super busy lately, I've just submitted stage 1, I have applied via pathway 2 though as I already have aus version cert 3 in hairdressing
So I don't have an interview as yet!
Lauren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 12/04/2017 at 15:17, Bellabonkers said:

Hey guys, 

i just sat my technical interview in Melbourne and wanted to give an update to this feed since I used this forum to help guide me through what to expect and found it very helpful. 

So here are the questions I was asked that were the same as above: 

What way would you hold your fingers when cutting a graduated bob?
Name 3 hazards in the salon and explain how you would fix it? 
How do you know when to neutralise a chemical straightening? 
How would you scissors over comb a man's hair?
How would you put up a french roll?
i also got asked what two things we as hairdressers do that harm the environment, and name some ways of how we can contribute to the environment.
how you maintain your tools and equipment.

Other then the above questions I was asked none of what everyone else has posted so I think they have changed there questions. 

Here re some questions I was asked: 

how do you ensure personal hygiene stanadards are kept? 

How do you communicate in the salon? 

How do you prepare your work station? 

How do you minimise cross infection? 

How do you remove colour from the head? 

How do you remove processed foils? 

How do you prepare basin area? 

Give an example of a client complaint and how you delt with it? 

Describe how you would do a short graduation and round later combination cut? 

I was shown a picture of a short grad bob and asked where I would start cutting the hair.

ask how I would do a combination of three cutting techniques in one cut. 

I was asked how I scissor over comb

i was asked how to do a short back and sides 

I was asked how I would do a longer men's style 

I was asked how I would do a fashionable men's style 

how do you ensure your client has an even colour?

what questions do you ask in a colour consultation? 

What skin conditions have you identified in the salon and what was your advice? 

How do you do a partial or full head of foils? 

Name two colour correction techniques you have done and describe the process? 

How would you apply a scalp bleach to virgin hair? 

How would you apply a touch up scalp bleach? 

I had to explain the process for chemical straightening step by step- despite never having done one so please note the multiple choice option no longer exsists and I've got to thank the girls on this post previously because if it wasn't for them I would not have studied this before hand- fingers crossed I answererd correct. 

What chemical straightening products are on the market? (Like what brand) 

are flat irons used in a chemical service? 

How would you do a curly blow dry? 

How would you do a volumised blow dry? 

Give examples of how you recommend additional products and services to clients? 

How do you straighten hair? 

Thats all I can remember for now. These were all from the compulsory units which if you go to Vetassess website and find hairdressing fact sheet states which units are compulsory. You then select three selective units to answer questions on, again you will find information on choices of elective units on Vetassess website. 

I selected: 

Braids: 

how would you complete a 2 strand braid? 

How would you complete a 3 strand braid? 

How would you complete a 4 strand valid? 

Then I selected Stocktake: 

how do you receive stock in the salon? 

Where do you store it? 

Then I selected Hair extensions: 

how do you prepare hair extensions prior to application? 

Describe the process of adding hair extensions? 

Describe how you would blend in hair Exstensions? 

And that was it. So fingers crossed I passed. I know there's not much online in the way of guidance through this stressful time (we all just want to do a practical don't we?!??)  and this was the only forum I found that gave me any help and guidance to which I am grateful for so I just thought I would add to it and update on my experience today! 

I hope this helps someone :-) 

This is amazing information! 

I'm still a bit confused but,  

With the list that you have to do 25 compulsory units is that in the test on a computer or is that everything you have to do and send in as video evidence? 

And how are the units added up?  

Is each task one unit?  

As the hair & design say "pre-requisite" 

Did anyone know what this means?  

Thanks in advance ?

On 16/12/2017 at 18:51, NiamhD said:

With the list that you have to do 25 compulsory units is that in the test on a computer or is that everything you have to do and send in as video evidence? 

Is each task one unit?  

Thanks in advance ?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Heena12 said:

Hi. I also cleared stage 1 of pathway 2 through vetassess. Now waiting for technical interview. How to revise those units I have nothing to prepare.

Thanks Param. 

Hi Param, I also went via pathway 2 in October, I’m assuming to already have your cert 3 Australian? 

I sat my technical interview in Melbourne and I didn’t have to answer any of the questions in this post! If I remember correctly they only really asked me Day to Day management in the salon and health and safety questions, I was only in about 20 mins! I studied all the units of hairdressing again and didn’t need to! 

Feel free to ask me some questions 

Lauren 

hi I'm still waiting on my technical interview, time is ticking ?? did you have to travel to Melbourne or were you living there?  

On 16/12/2017 at 18:51, NiamhD said:

Is each task one unit?  

Thanks in advance ?

3 hours ago, laurenday said:

Hi Param, I also went via pathway 2 in October, I’m assuming to already have your cert 3 Australian? 

I sat my technical interview in Melbourne and I didn’t have to answer any of the questions in this post! If I remember correctly they only really asked me Day to Day management in the salon and health and safety questions, I was only in about 20 mins! I studied all the units of hairdressing again and didn’t need to! 

Feel free to ask me some questions 

Lauren 

Oh. Really thanks. I am in Melbourne, I studied here certs III,  iv and diploma in salon management. I actually applied 186 trt as hairdresser in Melbourne. My file has not allocated from last 18 months. I am sick of waiting. I am going to apply 190 Canberra. Everything else is done just waiting to clear this skill assessment. If any questions u can write will help me. Thanks and good luck.  

On 6/25/2017 at 12:43, Bellabonkers said:

Hey ladies, 

Hope your all well! With regards to evidence, you only have to submit images/videos showing before, during and after of the following: 

Mens cut 

Mens Beard shape 

Woman's Highlights 

Womans cut (Any) 

and a Perm

There is absolutely no requirement to submit any further photographic or video evidence- however if you happen to have more (I had loads of photos of colours and cuts I have done over the years as well as bridal hair) then you should absolutely submit. 

My main point is if you have covered the items required above then there is no need to stress about adding more- but if you happen to have the evidence anyway then upload... the more the better. 

The compulsary units listed (e.g. Scalp bleach and perm straightening) are for the benefit of the second stage only. You need to know the entire process for chemical straightening (and scalp bleach)- I'm so relieved I studied this as there was no multiple choice and I had to describe the process step by step. All of my questions asked and what to expect for the second stage are posted earlier in the forum. 

Again as I've said in the past- you don't actually have to send in videos, I think this is a common misconception and what migrate agents recommend, however I did mine all myself (without an agent) and used the Vetassess website as a guide as well as calling the Vetassess office a couple of times in order to prepare my evidence and found that the video upload is an option ONLY. 

I submitted all of my evidence, was not asked for further documents and saled through to the second section - all documents were photos, certIficates and references. 

Im currently awaiting my employer nomination under the ENS 186 visa. Applied in March, looks although I have a long wait ahead though as waitIng times have been increased this month to 90% visas within 13 months, however im onshore and relaxed now everything is submitted.... time for patience! Might take up some yoga! Haha! 

Happy to help if any one has any more questions. 

Bella 

Hi bella. Do u have u Australian experience? Then still have to technical interview. Plz reply....  

Oh. Really thanks. I am in Melbourne, I studied here certs III,  iv and diploma in salon management. I actually applied 186 trt as hairdresser in Melbourne. My file has not allocated from last 18 months. I am sick of waiting. I am going to apply 190 Canberra. Everything else is done just waiting to clear this skill assessment. If any questions u can write will help me. Thanks and good luck.  

Yep, so The ones I can remember:

What’s your day to day duties
How do you start your day
How do you set up for your day
Name 3 hazards
How would you avoid hazards
How would you deal with a client complaint
How would you record an accident

Honestly it was just general questions; when she said my interview was finished I actually asked her why I wasn’t asked about hairdressing and she said because I have gone via pathway 2 I already have the certificate which counteracts the actual units!
Oh wow 18months!!! I’m just about to submit my 186 application (currently on 457) and my migration agent said it takes approximately 10months!
Can I just ask, have you applied as a ‘hairdresser’ or ‘manager’