Any other hairdressers out there applying for vetassess?

Vickiw89

Hi all, I'm new to poms in Oz and have been searching the forums to find a recent hairdresser thread.

I have just sent off my skills assessment to Vetassess after a lot of work and stress getting it all together, feeling relieved now that it has gone but now worrying in case I have missed anything or haven't provided something very important!

Any other hairdressers or tradies out there that are currently going through this? And does anyone know of current vetassess wait times and what is involved for a positive assessment and technical interview?

Thanks in advance :)

Vicki.

• 1 month later...

Hi I sent my documents in February and got a positive assessment 2 weeks later. I am still waiting for a date for hairdreasing technical interview. But I have been told I have to go to Belfast. I live in kildare, Ireland.

Have you heard anything back from them.

I'd love to hear from anyone who had sat this interview and what questions were asked.

• Like 1

Hi Laura,

My assessment was the same. They received it on 22nd Feb, asked for a document to be certified on the 24th, which was sent the next day and was told it was positive the day after they received it! It took about 2 weeks in total!

I have my technical in a few weeks time, I have heard as long as you have good hairdressing knowledge you should be fine, but I am still flicking through my old folders!

Where are you hoping to go in oz?

Vicki

Yeah I think I would prefer a practical too! Have you got a date for yours yet?

Are you the main applicant? You might want to double check but I'm pretty sure a 489 in SA isn't available for hairdressers, and with it being a regional visa you may not be able to live and work in Adelaide, just a thought but it's worth checking out!

were hoping to go to qld on a 489, although I do have the option of tasmania on a 190. Weighing up my options at the moment!

Ye i might do the same look over old assignments.

I'm sure the exam will be fine although I would prefer a practical exam over technical.

I am applying for a 489 visa to SA. So myself and my boyfriend are hoping to go to adeliade.

what about you ??

SA are not offering sponsorship for 489s (or 190s) to Hairdressers and they don't offer Off-list nominations. Your only options for a 489 are QLD, the NT or TAS.

Thanks for the info the list must of changed. I had an assessment from a migration agent last may and I was told I qualify for a skilled visa 489 to sa or qld as a hairdresser. But if I went to qld I needed $30,000 in assets. Do you know if this is still the case. I don't mind where in oz I go.

Vicki I still haven't got a date from vetassess though I would have by now. Did you sit yours yet ?

Thanks for the info the list must of changed. I had an assessment from a migration agent last may and I was told I qualify for a skilled visa 489 to sa or qld as a hairdresser. But if I went to qld I needed $30,000 in assets. Do you know if this is still the case. I don't mind where in oz I go.

Vicki I still haven't got a date from vetassess though I would have by now. Did you sit yours yet ?

Queensland's financial requirements are much lower if you apply onshore so if you're eligible for a Working Holiday visa, you could come on that and apply while you're here.

http://migration.qld.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Settlement-Funds_skilled.pdf Queensland Settlement Funds requirements

Here's a link to the Queensland migration site - everything you need to know about QLD state sponsorship is somewhere in there. You'll need a job offer in regional Queensland OR 5 years experience. A job offer shouldn't be too hard to find - hairdressers are in short supply here and Queensland's regional areas include some of the most beautiful and interesting parts of Australia.

http://migration.qld.gov.au/skilled-migration-visas/

Edited by Ozmaniac

Thanks. I was on a whv in 2007 and got the 2nd year also.

I think ill have to look into other options.

I had a migration agent but she really let me down by not doing any of the work so I am hesitant to get another one but at the same time there is so much paper work I don't want to do it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laura,

No I have mine on Thursday in Manchester, i'm getting nervous now!

Make sure you give yourself enough time to get there! It's not quite in the city centre, and I don't know how easy it is to get there by public transport.

Have you thought anymore about where you're going to head to?

Hi Vicki

Good luck tomorrow I'm sure you will do great.

I have the first flight booked so I land in Manchester at 7.20 assuming there is no delays and my interview is at 11.20 so I should be ok.

I was just gonna get a taxi there Google maps says it about a 15 min drive. Does that seem right.

I not sure where we are going to go to now I was set on SA but ovously that is off the cards.

I have been to qld and loved it but I don't have the $30,000.

Have you had anymore thoughts on where you're gonna go.

Hi Laura,

My advice would be give yourself plenty of time to get there - I got very lost from my satnav but luckily got there just in time! It's just a relaxed conversation, my assessor was lovely, and it was more like a chat, I got asked various questions but skipped through some of them too because of what I had provided in my skills assessment. But the questions were just mainly general hairdressing, so you'll be fine!

I'm still thinking queensland, but it does depend on the funds. I read on their website that for my partner and I we will need $35000, but $5000 of that needs to be cash. However it then says that evidence only needs to show evidence of cash, I don't know, its confusing! So we are saving like mad at the moment!

Let me know how you get on on Friday, and good luck!

Hi Vicki

I got a taxi from the airport and I was at the venue in 15 min. Taxi driver knew where to go.

my interview lasted 2hr 45 min. I found it very intense. I'm glad I looked over my college notes. I am quiet bad at explaining thing with words when feeling under pressure so this is where I really would have preferred working on a model.

My assessor said he will submit my result with vetassess on Wednesday, so hopefully it won't be too long after that I get result.

I contacted another migration agent who gave me a lot of advice for my visa.

At the moment I only qualify for a 190 or 489 for NT because I only have 2 years and 7 months post qualification experience.

And between myself and my partner we need $50,000 in any form either cash or proof of a house or land.

My family said they could transfer funds to my account as a loan.

I'm not sure if i got a bank statement showing this and transfer the money back will i be asked for proof again.

It is a lot of money to be expected to have!

Well don't worry you're not on your own! I too found it very intense but didn't want to worry you before you went! I too am the same as you and struggle explaining things, which I think will be my downfall. I was also asked questions on how to perform chemical straightening and facial shaves, something that I have no experience in. I am expecting to fail and have to do it again!

it really is a lot of money isn't it, my partner and I were thinking of a loan from the family just as proof as there is no way to save up that much! I understand they need you to have funds to settle, do you know if you need the proof of money before you lodge an eoi? Once I have passed the technical I'll contact an agent and see our best options I think

I was also asked about mens shave and chemical straightening, he gave me a multiple choice for the chemical straightening because I had no experience in this. I just picked the most obvious answer.

He said if I can't answer I will fail as it is part of the circulum so there was a bit of pressure.

From what I have been told you do not need to show funds until the actual visa application.

I did a free assesment on visa first Web page, I think they have a UK office. I then got a phone call for about 30min and got all my questions answered for free.

I have previously used an agent and paid her €1000 last October for the first phase of the visa and she only gave me an assesment. She failed to do any of the work and I am still fighting for a refund.

But from all the info visa first gave me I am going to continue myself.

Yes I did! To be honest I found him quite hard to understand with some things he said! Yes I was asked the same, I gave a different answer and after picking my friends brains I am pretty sure I gave the wrong answer. Mine lasted for about 2 hours 10 mins. And I was asked questions that I didn't really know how to answer, for example, a regular client comes in who always spends a lot of money. She had her colour done the week before walked out and loved it, she came back a week later crying as her new boyfriend who she has only known a week doesn't like her hair but doesn't know what he doesn't like, what would you do. Weirdest question ever! I'm prepared to do it again now but would much prefer a practical!

Ye i had to ask him to repeat himself a few time's.

I have tried to find the answer for the question and I haven't come across it and also no one in work has experience in this so no definite answer.

I also got this question I said I would advise her to think about it as I would not like to put her hair through too much chemical process. And if she really wanted to change it she was gonna have to find out what her bf wanted maybe bring him in to sit with her through her consulation.

I though it was such a strange question and have never experienced this in the salon.

I am 50/50 as to weather I passed but like you I would be more prepared next time. Fingers crossed

No, most people I asked had never come across this, one said that it was the knot, so I'm pretty sure you're right!

I said similar to you, I said I'd look through her hair to see if I could see any visible problems eg yellow highlights or bleeds etc, if I couldn't identify anything, then I would sit down with her and ask her what she doesn't like or wants to change etc, and at this point he said to me that she likes it, it's her boyfriend that doesn't, so I said I'd want them to come in together and I'd sit down with them to try work out what it is and make sure that she is happy with whatever I do. I also said what I'd actually do and tell her to dump him and that she looked great, as that is honestly what I would do haha! It is not something i have come across yet in the salon, and agree with you its such a weird question to have!

I also had one on what toner neutralises pink. My experience is if it's pink it either needs to lifted out further, or if the hair will be damaged then the client will need to go darker. He specifically asked what toner neutralises pink though, and the only answer I could give was a green based toner, as pink is made from red and white and green neutralises red. I honestly didn't know!

My fingers are crossed for you, I am sure you have given the right answer for the chemical straightening though, I'm sure you will be fine! It also states on vetasses log in page, that if we are not able to collect sufficient evidence during the interview to show you have the required skills and knowledge, you may need to attend a practical assessment, but I don't know whether that is an option.

I never got the pink toner questions just the basic orange, green red. But that sounds right what you said.

I got one when applying a Hi lift on Virgin hair where would you start the application. First I said I would section it in four and start at the back section on the top as I would for a normal tint. And he said so you wouldn't start at the nape of the neck. I said no and he said are you sure so then I changed my answer to say I would start at the neck.

Did you get this?