Aged Parent shipping issue

pambod53

Hi folks I have just joined your forum. Could someone tell me if we apply for an aged parent visa 804 can we ship our goods before getting it approved? We have asked the customs to clarify this issue but their answers don't seem to match our questions. We have to apply while in Australia for this visa so would be in Aus while it's being processed. We have two children who live in Australia and have residency there. Apparently you get a bridging visa while you wait but that could take anything from 10 to 30 years!!! I'm 60 MMM the mind boggles. I think this is not as easy as it looks. I would be really grateful for any advice. Many thanks a very confused Mum.

If you're 60 you're not eligible. I assume your OH is older? Do you have other kids in UK?

How are you going to get into Australia? If you send all your stuff then tick the tourist box on your arrivals card then someone might question your intent to be a tourist which is what tourist visas are for. Some tourist visas have no further stay conditions imposed on them.

i doubt this visa will be in force for much longer, you may have to go down the CPV route, much quicker and more stable. Worth considering!

If you're 60 you're not eligible. I assume your OH is older? Do you have other kids in UK?

How are you going to get into Australia? If you send all your stuff then tick the tourist box on your arrivals card then someone might question your intent to be a tourist which is what tourist visas are for. Some tourist visas have no further stay conditions imposed on them.

i doubt this visa will be in force for much longer, you may have to go down the CPV route, much quicker and more stable. Worth considering!

Hi Quoll , Thanks for your reply we have no other children. We did apply for the CPV a few years ago but didn't sell the house in time so had to cancel after paying a large amount of money for the first part. Nothing is set in stone yet. I have to say it's all very confusing they say you must be in Aus to apply for the aged parent visa so how do you get there if you can only get a tourist visa? It doesn't make sense. We knew about the no longer stay rule. I understand there is a visa also for parents who have all their children living in Aus. Like I say nothing is decided as yet and we have to sell our house before we make up our minds. The reason for the shipping question was so we could make some calculations as what to leave with the house sale. Thanks again.

Hi Quoll , Thanks for your reply we have no other children. We did apply for the CPV a few years ago but didn't sell the house in time so had to cancel after paying a large amount of money for the first part. Nothing is set in stone yet. I have to say it's all very confusing they say you must be in Aus to apply for the aged parent visa so how do you get there if you can only get a tourist visa? It doesn't make sense. We knew about the no longer stay rule. I understand there is a visa also for parents who have all their children living in Aus. Like I say nothing is decided as yet and we have to sell our house before we make up our minds. The reason for the shipping question was so we could make some calculations as what to leave with the house sale. Thanks again.

Why sell the house? You could get a CPV and rent your house out, might be easier and keep all your options open.

• 11 months later...
Really? We have been told that if we arrive with goods on a tourist visa we will get shipped back to UK.

You do definitely run that risk. Did you see in the news this week too about an English grandmother who did just that and failed the medical and is being deported. Is a very risky route.

[h=1]British grandmother-of-four, 75, faces deportation from Australia because officials say she is too ill to stay there[/h]

• Fran Davies, 75, emigrated from Hartlepool, South Tyneside, to Perth
  • Grandmother-of-four, who has a blood disorder, has had full visa declined
  • Authorities say she's a burden on system - but she pays for her own drugs

By AMANDA WILLIAMS FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 01:06 EST, 4 February 2016 | UPDATED: 06:26 EST, 4 February 2016

49shares

21View comments

A British grandmother who moved to Australia seven years ago to be with her only family is facing deportation because immigration chiefs say she is 'too ill' to stay.

Fran Davies, 75, emigrated from Hartlepool, South Tyneside, to be with loved ones in Perth following the death of her husband.

But the grandmother-of-four, who has a blood disorder, faces being sent back to the UK after her bid to turn a temporary bridging visa into a full one was declined on health grounds.

Officials have deemed Mrs Davies a burden to the country's healthcare system.

30D63BA400000578-0-image-m-39_1454507672219.jpg

+2

Fran Davies moved to Perth, Australia, after the death of her husband but is now threatened with deportation due to her own health. She is pictured with grandchildren Joseph, 17, and Jessica, 14

Mrs Davies said: 'Come on Australia - you can do better than this. Are they heartless enough to do that to me? I don't know how long I would last in England.'

She has appealed against the decision and her family, including children Karen Brabham, 51, and Kevin Stevens, 47, have launched an online petition to try and persuade the Australian government to let her stay.

Mrs Davies, who was married to Brian Davies and ran Brus Hardware shop in Hartlepool, developed the blood disorder around 18 months after moving to Australia in 2009.

[h=2]RELATED ARTICLES[/h]

[h=2]SHARE THIS ARTICLE[/h]Share

She has had numerous blood transfusions and the cold can make the condition worse. She also has arthritis.

He daughter Karen said she is worried about the impact that being deported could have on her mother's already fragile health.

She said: 'The thing that worries us most is if she is sent back to a cold climate it wouldn't be very good at all.

'This decision is causing her a lot of anxiety and sleepless nights. She is really frightened to go back to nothing.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3430033/British-grandmother-four-75-faces-deportation-Australia-officials-say-ill-stay-there.html#ixzz3zMjLx0lT

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If your children are in Australia they can ship the goods in their names. Just say they are their own goods which have been in storage in the UK for a few years.

I shipped a lot of stuff my Dad left to me, 8 years after emigrating, just said it was my own goods that had been left in the UK?

If your children are in Australia they can ship the goods in their names. Just say they are their own goods which have been in storage in the UK for a few years.

I shipped a lot of stuff my Dad left to me, 8 years after emigrating, just said it was my own goods that had been left in the UK?

If you look in the news chat and dilemma section

title

On shore parent visa refused post by PQ.

Reply no 9 indicates that there is an appropriate visa to cover this situation.

Sorry didn't mean this to add on to your post, in case it's not clear I was trying to say that there is apparently a visa to cover falling sick while waiting onshore for a permanent visa.

Edited by ramot

Guest The Pom Queen
Really? We have been told that if we arrive with goods on a tourist visa we will get shipped back to UK.

Please note that the original post is over 12 months old.

We asked our Australian partners directly to confirm when this question originally came up, because we know this is different in most other countries, and they said that you can send the shipment on a bridging or tourist visa and that regardless of visa imports are allowed duty free providing all the items are used and over one year old.

Of course there is a risk that if your visa is not eventually granted that you will have to leave the country and at that point will have the issue of what to do with all your belongings again, so you need to evaluate if it's a better idea to delay your shipment if there is any question over that.