Uk carpenter do I take tools?

Claires123

My husband is a uk qualified carpenter, we're migrating to perth on my visa, I am a nurse 457 visa.

Has anyone had experience of whether to take hand/ power tools over to oz,

how does this work with the airlines? Any idea of the cost? Are the tools compatable with oz voltage frequencys?

any advice would be appreciated .

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My hubby is a mechanic so also had lots of tools, we sent them with the shippers a few weeks before we left. He borrowed or used tools he wasnt bringing until he stopped working and then once here we found the company he was working for pretty understanding and lent him stuff until his arrived. He also bought some stuff on arrival that he had intended to replace anyway. Tools need to be pretty clean if your shipping them or quarantine may pull them up and you then end up with a bill for cleaning or for them to 'destroy' the items.

Hope this helps a bit and lots of luck with your move

Cal x

We shipped all my partner's tools but we put a starter kit in his suitcase. We declared them & where waived through customs. No problem with the container but I'd meticulously cleaned them with jeyes fluid. They had opened every tool box & inspected them so I was glad we went to the effort

My husband is a carpenter and said it depends how good your tools are in UK. You can charge tools up at home using an adaptor but you can't charge them on site with UK plugs and adaptors.

You have to get all electrical goods tagged every 3 months by a qualified electrician for on site use. About 8 dollars an item.

He got a few bits on ebay and facebook sales as we were pretty skint when we got out here but he wishes he had brought loads out with him. A lot dearer over here (Melb).

It is all about power tools over here. He said he hasn't seen a hand plane or saw yet!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

Sorry to go slightly off topic but how are the carpenters finding work situation at the moment?

I lived in Brisbane from 2009 to 2011 and work was ok then but not fantastic, just wondered if it has changed in any way? Busier or slowing down?

Thanks

We shipped all my partner's tools but we put a starter kit in his suitcase. We declared them & where waived through customs. No problem with the container but I'd meticulously cleaned them with jeyes fluid. They had opened every tool box & inspected them so I was glad we went to the effort

sorry to hijack post. When you are talking about tools are we including power tools? How did you clean them if so?

Thanks & apologies. ?

Hello Im new here. Im heading over on a working holiday visa. Im looking to send over a small 10-15kg tool box. I will have a Makita drill along with a basic hand tool kit. Is there any issues sending batteries and who is the best to send with?

Thanks

Graeme