ARE YOU A BRIT LIVING ABROAD BUT THINKING ABOUT COMING HOME?

Guest Amy Robbins

Guest Amy Robbins

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY BRITS WHO ARE CONSIDERING RETURNING TO THE UK?

ITV1 are making a new documentary series about British Ex-Pats who are considering moving back to the UK.

We’re keen to hear from Brits who have lived abroad for years without (or very rarely) visiting home, but who are now thinking about returning permanently to Britain.

Perhaps you miss your family and friends, maybe schooling is a problem for your kids, or you simply yearn to step back into British culture.

We'll help you explore the reality of coming home, and prepare you for deciding whether to stay abroad or return to your roots.

If this sounds like you, or if you know anyone who might be interested, please contact Amy Robbins as soon as possible by email:

amy.robbins@fevermedia.com

Or call (+44) 020 7697 1425.

• 5 months later...
Guest Birdiesinoz

I am new to this site, and just browsing, but thought it really funny (with my still british sense of humour even after being in Brissie for almost 4 years) that this post has not had any replies....:rolleyes: I wonder why?????? :biggrin: we must all love Oz so much :yes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fat Boy Fat

Amy

I think about going home all the time, I just miss it so much. I am from Daytona, Florida.

The middle two weeks in October would be great then perhaps two weeks just down the road in Disney so the family can think about it.

we are happy to be a dis-functional family on camera if that makes better TV. :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, we have been here 8 months and are thinking of returning at the end of the year. The problem faced is that we rented out our house in Uk and my husband gave up a well paid job to come here, those kind jobs in the area we lived are few and far between. It was a very hard thing to leave the UK, our home and friends and family plus good life style, but we wanted an adventure before we were too old!!Its been very hard to settle although we have made friends here, we are still considering returning. Jackie Davis

Guest Impatient

No more replies on this one please anyone, if my Mother sees another TV show with any hint of criticism or negativity about Oz she will be forced to ram it down my throat and then I will be forced to murder her and you lot will be responsible!

Guest Impatient

Cal

I agree. People keep asking us what we would do if we don't like it and I always say the same. Oz is a big country with lots of different places to live - I am bound to like one of them. If not I can try NZ, which is where I originally thought about going to.

Not coming home though!

Guest Abi&Dan

My southern OH has made me promise that if we decide it's not for us and come back to UK we'll move to Devon - and me an inveterate Northerner!! Therefore we're definitely finding some state in Oz that suits us down to the gound :wink:

Guest The "Biscuits"

hi all,

the biscuits feel exactly the same, as soon as we are on that plane and out of UK the better can't think of one reason (except the NEXT sale) that I would want to come back.

Guest Arnold

I have to say that many a time I have thought about returning to the UK however it is only 8 months in and I know more time is needed. There are lots of things I miss about the UK all the things I have grown up with, familiarity, friends and family. We didn't want to let this opportunity pass us by and regret it in years to come. We had a fairly good life in the UK but wanted more for our children and ourselves. Never say never, you just don't know how you will feel when you land and have to try and make this your home, you will feel homesick and if you choose to go back at least you tried it!!!

Guest kdal
I have to say that many a time I have thought about returning to the UK however it is only 8 months in and I know more time is needed. There are lots of things I miss about the UK all the things I have grown up with, familiarity, friends and family. We didn't want to let this opportunity pass us by and regret it in years to come. We had a fairly good life in the UK but wanted more for our children and ourselves. Never say never, you just don't know how you will feel when you land and have to try and make this your home, you will feel homesick and if you choose to go back at least you tried it!!!

Hiya, Thats the main thing isn't it? At least if you come back to England you gave it a go and will have no regrets i.e. what if.

Would you mind if I asked you what is Coulandra like as a place to live?

Hope all goes well for you

Be Happy

Kind Regards

Guest kdal
Hiya, Thats the main thing isn't it? At least if you come back to England you gave it a go and will have no regrets i.e. what if.

Would you mind if I asked you what is Coulandra like as a place to live?

Hope all goes well for you

Be Happy

Kind Regards

Oh dear sorry about the spelling of Caloundra

regards

Guest london cabbie

Stay there you guys

Apart from your family problems,anything else can be overcome cant it?

Just keep reading the english papers on-line and watching the news to confirm why you are there,yeah its nearing summer and it will be nice to sit outside an english pub and listen to the birds singing and as the day draws to a close you reflect on life in england after a few beers you think well it aint so bad.

Then you return to your car (if it's still there) take the parking ticket off the window,arrive home to the house you work your nuts off to keep,watch the daily stabbings on tv,and go to bed so you are nice and fresh in the morning to start the whole process again.

rember folks its all about quality of life ok!!!!

Good luck ....Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Arnold
Oh dear sorry about the spelling of Caloundra

regards

Caloundra is beautiful, the beaches are out of this world and there is lots of really nice places to eat! It is growing very quickly. The school we have our children at is very nice, and they have settled in really well. Would recommend it!

• 10 months later...
Guest bohlesover
Yes, we have been here 8 months and are thinking of returning at the end of the year. The problem faced is that we rented out our house in Uk and my husband gave up a well paid job to come here, those kind jobs in the area we lived are few and far between. It was a very hard thing to leave the UK, our home and friends and family plus good life style, but we wanted an adventure before we were too old!!Its been very hard to settle although we have made friends here, we are still considering returning. Jackie Davis

Hi I have just seen your post, about returning home, not sure when it was written, just interested to know if you stuck at it? many times we have wanted to go back to our secure life, good jobs, house, friends , etc but still here, just wondering if you went back did you regret it?

Hi I have just seen your post, about returning home, not sure when it was written, just interested to know if you stuck at it? many times we have wanted to go back to our secure life, good jobs, house, friends , etc but still here, just wondering if you went back did you regret it?

I would like to know as well We are flying back home next week. I hope you stayed and it working out well for you

John

Guest bohlesover
I would like to know as well We are flying back home next week. I hope you stayed and it working out well for you

John

can i ask why you are flying back next week? its only now working out for us after 2 years of hell, and thats no understatement, we have had allsorts happen to us, in fact dont know how we got through it, just consulting solicitors now!

can i ask why you are flying back next week? its only now working out for us after 2 years of hell, and thats no understatement, we have had allsorts happen to us, in fact dont know how we got through it, just consulting solicitors now!

Mainly a work thing but I do believe the longer I'm out hear the harder it would be to settle back in the UK.

We have not had all our own way, If I started the proccess again I'd do so much diffrent as I really never got my Sh*t in order.

Is it somthing you can talk about, why things have not gone as you would have liked.

John

Guest bohlesover

Wont go into ALL the things that have happened it would be a novel!! but main thing our daughter who at the time was 22 came with us, and came on a student visa, for hairdressing, she started attending college in Melbourne, after a short time, she had a lot of problems with her wisdom teeth, she had 3 removed in hospital and took a total of 11 days out of college, she pre warned them and took in medical certs to cover her, with months she had a letter to attend immigrations for under attendance for the term at college!! they had reported her, and said that they do not take certificates into consideration for sickness???!! anyway she was given 28 days to leave Oz, and go back to NOTHING! no home no job, we pleaded and begged, with college to revise their submitted figures on the medical cert basis but they had no compassion, this was 18 months ago we have battled ever since, (lots more to this story, including bad communication at college) to get her back, we have since spoke to MP's and they have uncovered that college submitted different attendance figures to immigrations than the ones that were true, so now we have a legal battle on our hands, thats just the tip of what has happened to us.

Wont go into ALL the things that have happened it would be a novel!! but main thing our daughter who at the time was 22 came with us, and came on a student visa, for hairdressing, she started attending college in Melbourne, after a short time, she had a lot of problems with her wisdom teeth, she had 3 removed in hospital and took a total of 11 days out of college, she pre warned them and took in medical certs to cover her, with months she had a letter to attend immigrations for under attendance for the term at college!! they had reported her, and said that they do not take certificates into consideration for sickness???!! anyway she was given 28 days to leave Oz, and go back to NOTHING! no home no job, we pleaded and begged, with college to revise their submitted figures on the medical cert basis but they had no compassion, this was 18 months ago we have battled ever since, (lots more to this story, including bad communication at college) to get her back, we have since spoke to MP's and they have uncovered that college submitted different attendance figures to immigrations than the ones that were true, so now we have a legal battle on our hands, thats just the tip of what has happened to us.

Has she managed to sort her self out back home. Where is home?

I'm a firm beliver that if you have a bad experiance like this that you see over negatives that you maybe would not have seen if every thing had worked out well.

I think you should not concider going home untill you have fought this battle and hopfully won. Then you'll hopfully look at Aus in a diffrent light and all this could still work for you all as a family.

John

Guest bohlesover
Has she managed to sort her self out back home. Where is home?

I'm a firm beliver that if you have a bad experiance like this that you see over negatives that you maybe would not have seen if every thing had worked out well.

I think you should not concider going home untill you have fought this battle and hopfully won. Then you'll hopfully look at Aus in a diffrent light and all this could still work for you all as a family.

John

John, home is east london isle of dogs, we are not going back yet, we probably have overcome the worst of it, and are already seeing it differently, we moved from Melbourne up to Cairns and have got on so much better here, hubby has managed to start his own business, (plastering) couldnt even get work in Melbourne! My daughter made us promise not to come back for her that she was determined to get back, but what immigrations failed to tell her at any point was that she had a 3 year ban on her from enetring Oz, this she found at at the airport on her way back, what a day that was 31st december 2006. Anyway she we have just found out that a application for Family Migrant Visa is being processed!! fingers crossed, then we will fight and sue that god dam college.

John, home is east london isle of dogs, we are not going back yet, we probably have overcome the worst of it, and are already seeing it differently, we moved from Melbourne up to Cairns and have got on so much better here, hubby has managed to start his own business, (plastering) couldnt even get work in Melbourne! My daughter made us promise not to come back for her that she was determined to get back, but what immigrations failed to tell her at any point was that she had a 3 year ban on her from enetring Oz, this she found at at the airport on her way back, what a day that was 31st december 2006. Anyway she we have just found out that a application for Family Migrant Visa is being processed!! fingers crossed, then we will fight and sue that god dam college.

Has she got famliy and friends in the Isle of dogs?

I'm sure if you know that she is coping and happy you'll make things work. I hope sort this out and that they have made a cock up.

Can this 3 year ban be revoked?

Guest bohlesover
Has she got famliy and friends in the Isle of dogs?

I'm sure if you know that she is coping and happy you'll make things work. I hope sort this out and that they have made a cock up.

Can this 3 year ban be revoked?

yes all my fam and friends on IOD, they do not know that we r taking them to court yet. The ban can be re-voked if applying for a permanent visa, which she is, it is looking good for her. Thanks

Archived