AHPRA / International Criminal History Check / fit2work website

Iscashe

I'm a mental health nurse, needing to register with AHPRA to work in Aus. As other healthcare professionals may know, AHPRA introduced another new rule this month, that we all need an International Criminal History Check (undertaken by a private company, fit2work) before we submit application to AHPRA.

I followed AHPRA's links to the fit2work.com.au website and dutifully tried to fill in the form, but for a start they give no guidance on what format they want you to upload documents in (eg they want a scan of your passport, but don't say if it's ok as a jpeg, then also consent forms need to be printed off, filled in and signed, scanned back in but again no clarification of format) - I tried jpeg, word and pdf but all no use. When you click 'continue' at the end it just takes forever then...times out. I've wasted 4 hours today trying :cry:

Has anyone else tried it yet, if so have you had any success? I've now emailed them but wanted to get on with it! AHPRA really make me wish I hadn't given up smoking...:arghh:

Today's update:-

I had a reply to my email from fit2work, telling me to change my web browser to Google Chrome :err:. It seems a bit wrong that I had to do so, and took yet another half an hour of faffing about, but I did it...and it still didn't work.

I think the problem is the size of the files that need uploading...the UK police check document is 4 pages long, plus you need to add a bank statement or utility bill as proof of address, but these cannot be uploaded separately, so I had to merge them into 1 document. I did it as pdf, then word docs, but both files were over 50mB and the page couldn't upload it as it was too big and kept timing out. Eventually after much googling I figured out how to merge the 5 docs into 1 jpeg file, then reduce the quality to low to make the file small enough. So total today of approx 2 and 1/2 hours to complete forms...on top of yesterday's 3 hours of futility:arghh:

So basically, you either need a superfast broadband connection, or excellent IT skills, or the patience of a saint to get it to work...(or in my case, the stubbornness of a bunch of angry mules!! :laugh:)

When I finally got through that, the payment was through Paypal for £86 (converted from $168AUD) and seemed secure; I got an immediate email receipt for payment and acknowledgement of submission of forms. It does not say how long the checks will take - they said they will send a separate email when it's processed.

I'll keep you updated as to progress...assuming there is any!! :biglaugh:

Well done great perseverance!! Glad it worked in the end I'll remember your tips for when I complete it I. The next few weeks.

The police check then that you uploaded is this the same one we get for the actual visa process? Or do they run their own checks etc? X

• 1 month later...
Today's update:-

I had a reply to my email from fit2work, telling me to change my web browser to Google Chrome :err:. It seems a bit wrong that I had to do so, and took yet another half an hour of faffing about, but I did it...and it still didn't work.

I think the problem is the size of the files that need uploading...the UK police check document is 4 pages long, plus you need to add a bank statement or utility bill as proof of address, but these cannot be uploaded separately, so I had to merge them into 1 document. I did it as pdf, then word docs, but both files were over 50mB and the page couldn't upload it as it was too big and kept timing out. Eventually after much googling I figured out how to merge the 5 docs into 1 jpeg file, then reduce the quality to low to make the file small enough. So total today of approx 2 and 1/2 hours to complete forms...on top of yesterday's 3 hours of futility:arghh:

So basically, you either need a superfast broadband connection, or excellent IT skills, or the patience of a saint to get it to work...(or in my case, the stubbornness of a bunch of angry mules!! :laugh:)

When I finally got through that, the payment was through Paypal for £86 (converted from $168AUD) and seemed secure; I got an immediate email receipt for payment and acknowledgement of submission of forms. It does not say how long the checks will take - they said they will send a separate email when it's processed.

I'll keep you updated as to progress...assuming there is any!! :biglaugh:

Hi,

Just wondered if you had any progress with this?

I have just submitted mine yesterday. Other than my session timing out, whilst I scanned docs, I didn't encounter any other issues. I didn't have a U.K. police check done I thought that was the whole point of this or am I wrong?

Thanks

Sara

Hi,

Just wondered if you had any progress with this?

I have just submitted mine yesterday. Other than my session timing out, whilst I scanned docs, I didn't encounter any other issues. I didn't have a U.K. police check done I thought that was the whole point of this or am I wrong?

Thanks

Sara

You will need a UK police check done through ACRO for the visa - completely separate and different from this Fit2work check.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a nurse and about to register with ahpra too, didn't know about this. Just sent my police report over to my migration agents from ACRO, now another police report? The only thing that's been free in our immigration adventure was the Justice of the Peace certifying our documents Did you apply for the ahpra online? The form looks delightful. Just let us in pleeeeeeease

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! OMG sorry but had to vent somewhere. The whole AHPRA registration and fit2work ICHC thing is doing my nut in!! I would go so far as to say it is worse than the whole visa application process. I thought Australia had a national 'no bu**sh*t' policy. It would appear AHPRA are not included in this. Grrrrr. Rant over.

My fit2work check went through ok in the end, and they've confirmed that I'm all clear!! Just submitted the ACRO check for visa today....neverending paperwork, this whole process is like the world's toughest test of patience!!! Just keep telling myself it'll be worth it when I'm going to the beach after work:laugh:

Re- fit2work. I am not very IT savvy. I printed off the forms for my Nz check and UK in and the consent form. Obviously each are more than one page. When I scanned the documents I can only upload one page to each part of the application, should I just upload the rest to the additional documents part? Or is there a way of making each allocation a whole document? Sorry I know I am being thick here but I do most things on my iPad.

I printed/scanned in docs. I did use the family pc...saved the docs to documents. Called each page 'fit1' 'fit2' etc...had 8 in all, including passport and driving licence and mobile bill showing my address. Went online found a free generic pdf doc converter, attatched and uploaded my docs and got sent all the docs in one pdf doc.

Which I attatched to fit2work and uploaded. Then it let me pay and finish.

Im not very tech minded either..!! But its not too bad. x

Re- fit2work. I am not very IT savvy. I printed off the forms for my Nz check and UK in and the consent form. Obviously each are more than one page. When I scanned the documents I can only upload one page to each part of the application, should I just upload the rest to the additional documents part? Or is there a way of making each allocation a whole document? Sorry I know I am being thick here but I do most things on my iPad.

I attached the rest of mine in the additional docs bit seems to be acceptable.

Sara

• 1 year later...