Horse Stuff To Aussie????

suse

Hi, anyone taken any tack/horse stuff out with them? What were the problems, what didnt you take, what did the removal chaps recommend, if youi scrubbed it clean did customs have a field day anyway? I have a wonderful english leather saddle that I just dont want to leave behind, it hasnt been used for 4 years but is just wonderful. Advice/experiences would be great thanks. (We are heading for Brisbane in September, know of any good websites to look for horses for sale?)

hi there, i was wondering if i should put a thread on here about the same things , never seen a equine thread yet! ANY WAY SAME GOES IM TAKING MY TACK AND BOXS OF BITS AND RUGS ETC. well i hope too, i have a fab saddle i only bought it last year, so im def taking it. i was looking at australian horse forum-directory the other day on here, i just googled australian horses, and got all sorts of fab sites, were off to perth, and i had a paper called the qoakka ? i think, and it did all ads for well everthing on earth but a good horsey section, wonder if you can get the same where your off to. sorry to jump on your thread, im interested in the reply's though! all the best.

I was told by the shippers than any tack or gear in my container would be picked up on and have to be fumigated on arrival here.He advised me to take as much as i could in my suitcase,hat,jodphurs and arabian bridle went in and we all came through customs no problem,hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Cal yoiu you reckon my saddle would come through in a suitcase - my hubby has to go over for 6 weeks 'work experience' but has 30kg of luggage, could give him the saddle! Might try and find out more, but if anyone reading this has tried please let me know!

I was told by the shippers than any tack or gear in my container would be picked up on and have to be fumigated on arrival here.He advised me to take as much as i could in my suitcase,hat,jodphurs and arabian bridle went in and we all came through customs no problem,hope this helps a bit

Cal x

hi cal, do you ride over there? is the riding good do you have any eventing to go and see etc or shows? by the sound of it your reply, its not worth taking some of the stuff though , i just thought you would be able to pop it in with the sofa, hmmm a lot of my stuff is sentimentle i have to rehome my mare if we get in. also i was thinking if i dont have to buy all the stuff over ther its more money to buy another horse, if we do go.

Guest And The Dog Makes 9

Oooo! my favorite subject ,Horses.:wubclub:

I am taking my three with us, and so all their tack,rugs etc is going hence we need a 40 cube container!!. I have contacted quaranteen in Oz and they have told me what disinfectants to use. As long as they really are spotless and smell of the disinfectant there should be no problem. Even if they had to re-do some it is still cheaper than replacing everything. I am also hoping to take two saddles and two bridles as luggage so I have them in case the container is delayed and they come out of quarantine first.

We had Anglo Pacific round today and he is also getting a price to send my Ifor Williams trailer on a roll-on-roll-off transported, again to replace it in Oz is really expensive.

My OH (richard) is just so pleased he picked a horsey girl!NOT:no:

wow im in awe, your taking 3 with you? you are so luckt . i can't take my mare she is major strop anglo arab , and is getting on a bit, its going to break my heart ive had her for14 yrs its worse with the animals than the people in some ways . were taking our dalmation though! did you have livery at the other end or do you have property with land? im facinated not nosey , you know im a bit of a wimp don't do anything smaller than cats, so was also wondering if you get many snakes etc around the stables over there( lurking in the straw) whats the riding like over there? feed back a must please. x

Around here where i am its known as Horesy heaven ,Beaudesert and its surronding areas have lots of racing and show stables.Livery over here is called agistment and can be hard to come by dependant on the area your in.Most people keep their horses at home.We do have 3 pony clubs and an adult riding club within a 10 min radius,hope this helps a bit

Cal x

hi cal, that sounds wonderfull, were hopefully heading to perth so not sure what it will be like there?strange what you get used to, but im horse mad so it will be a must, you know over here hacking out on a sunday morning thinking will i ever do this again. saying that im going to have to grow a backbone re the scary's lurking in the grass etc, just reading about the cane toads and dogs yearghhhh ! is there no market for livery over ther then? or is it just easier to get somewhere with land if you can?

• 4 months later...
Guest dryden62

We moved over to Australia (Melbourne) in 2003 ... we bought a shipping container full of stuff. Furniture and horse gear. I cleaned everything to within an inch of its life and nothing (including 3 saddles) got held by customs .. in fact the only thing that got confiscated was our fake Christmas tree because it had wood pine cones on it!

Here is a great site for anyone who wants to join in with the Horsey scene over here:

www.vichorse.com/forum

other sites for buying horses are:

www.horseyard.com.au

www.petlink.com.au

Australia is 10 years behind in the horse sense! The floats (horse trailers) are shocking! so if you have an Ifor then bring it with you!!! Other things to bring are rubber reins and stirrup leathers! Lots of crappy ones here !!

There is an Ifor Williams agent in Perth (Western Australia) which is where I got my HB510 from last year!!!

Things I miss most are: Hunter Trials (none here only Horse Trials) decent Irish horses and sausages!

Now in Brisbane, early stages of house hunting and trying to decided whether to go for agistment or get something with land. Not too impressed at the moment with the land options. Looking in the Pullenvale, Anstead, Moggil areas - if anyone is around there with horses would be great to chat about how you find it. Also have to find a rental by the end of next week which should be OK, but dont want a 12month lease! Has anyone been able to get out of their lease early without having to pay the remaining months rental??

~Container arrives next week, will let you know what they say about the horse stuff.

Thanks

Suse:smile:

Archived