Are people still moving here ?

Angela Claire

as a proffessional in the mining industry, I would not recomend you move at the moment. I am in month 8 of unemployment.

If you have jobs at the moment, I would put it on hold for now.

LOL!

You might well be a 'proffessional' but you can't spell it.... :wink:

• Like 1

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carnt spell or not very good at grammar ...doesn't mean ya stupid though ...I don't know why people feel the need to pull someone up for it does it make u of a lesser person just because ya grammars rubbish ...my hubby knows loads of professionals in his field who don't know how spell or write properly ...he would never pull them up for it though ...because it doesn't really matter ....if u know what it says why worry ! I get pulled for it all the time since being here ...my hubby offered give me English lessons if it bothers me that much ...it's never bothered me until a bunch of poms decided pull ya for it on forums ..why who are they to do so !

I read this as the light hearted joke it was intended to be - note the smiling face winking.

Some people really must be determined to be outraged if they read it any other way.

Not outraged, just gets my goat when people assume. No different than a person whom gets a lot of sighs from people in a que who don't realise the person taking their time being served is blind.

Please, don't assume you know what it is like to walk in someone's shoes. I am as up for a joke as every one. But, the joke that I can not spell or read wears very thin.

Most do not realise that it takes me up to 10 mins to read a post and another 10 to write my own. I have spent most of my life, like most severe dyslexics, being told I am stupid. For most of us, we never get beyond that. The battle I have undergone to prove to myself I am not stupid has been long and very hard. So, I am sorry, if I have a lack of sense of humour about my disability, but that is the way I feel. I was born the way I am. Would you consider that I should have a sense of humour about my race as well?

While the early 90's were bad at least renting was affordable. Houses while interest rates were indeed high were more affordable at least in the Perth context. We gave just come out of the biggest boom and WA has way overshot the value mark. The next few years will be very interesting indeed. Housing and immigration to sustain us? I note even Murdoch's right wing 'Australian' noted yesterday that those two things should allow us to avoid recession. First time I think I've heard the dreaded R word raised in conservative media.

Talk of allowing young to access super in order to purchase an over priced house. What ever next?

Do you use chrome VS? I have a few issues myself, and I find their spell checker very useful on a pc. I have to say that the spell checker on my tablet is driving me mad as it has auto correct, and what I type is very often very different to what I intended. I could probably turn it off, but I haven't figured out how yet. It seems worse since I upgraded to lollipop.

Not outraged, just gets my goat when people assume. No different than a person whom gets a lot of sighs from7 people in a que who don't realise the person taking their time being served is blind.

Please, don't assume you know what it is like to walk in someone's shoes. I am as up for a joke as every one. But, the joke that I can not spell or read wears very thin.

Most do not realise that it takes me up to 10 mins to read a post and another 10 to write my own. I have spent most of my life, like most severe dyslexics, being told I am stupid. For most of us, we never get beyond that. The battle I have undergone to prove to myself I am not stupid has been long and very hard. So, I am sorry, if I have a lack of sense of humour about my disability, but that is the way I feel. I was born the way I am. Would you consider that I should have a sense of humour about my race as well?

While the early 90's were bad at least renting was affordable. Houses while interest rates were indeed high were more affordable at least in the Perth context. We gave just come out of the biggest boom and WA has way overshot the value mark. The next few years will be very interesting indeed. Housing and immigration to sustain us? I note even Murdoch's right wing 'Australian' noted yesterday that those two things should allow us to avoid recession. First time I think I've heard the dreaded R word raised in conservative media.

Talk of allowing young to access super in order to purchase an over priced house. What ever next?

If Perth is due anywhere near the correction some are predicting, then these issues will solve themselves. Sadly, there will be a fair bit of pain assoicated with that. Those that will gain most are those who see it coming, take shelter, and then sweep up the debris. Those who will feel it worse are those who try and regain the boom times and over expose themselves. I wouldn't advise anyone planning on coming to Perth to change their plans. But it would be a good idea to reconsider their finances, and possibly adjust their timing, depending on what field they work in, and how long they are coming for. Obviously the building boom is continuing, and may do for some time. Resource industries not so much. Research is the key.

I don't think anyone can predict the future economic movements, as there is just so much flux at the moment. But the trend is your friend, and the trend for resources is down.

If Perth is due anywhere near the correction some are predicting, then these issues will solve themselves. Sadly, there will be a fair bit of pain assoicated with that. Those that will gain most are those who see it coming, take shelter, and then sweep up the debris. Those who will feel it worse are those who try and regain the boom times and over expose themselves. I wouldn't advise anyone planning on coming to Perth to change their plans. But it would be a good idea to reconsider their finances, and possibly adjust their timing, depending on what field they work in, and how long they are coming for. Obviously the building boom is continuing, and may do for some time. Resource industries not so much. Research is the key.

I don't think anyone can predict the future economic movements, as there is just so much flux at the moment. But the trend is your friend, and the trend for resources is down.

With WA being the classis boom/bust state being overly reliant on the falling resource industry and China in particular. I disagree it won't impact new comers. A recession and/or falling job market would indeed inflict pain. Certain areas would prove largely pointless moving to Perth while other areas naturally will be less impacted.

Even during a crash there is money to be made on others misfortunes and what have you.

People make a living predicting the future and fortunes are won and lost on such predictions. The State credit rating and ever growing debt and falling commodities are highly indicative of the direction we are going.

as a proffessional in the mining industry, I would not recomend you move at the moment. I am in month 8 of unemployment.

If you have jobs at the moment, I would put it on hold for now.

Depends what your job is though, they obviously don't need as many geologists as they do tradies!

The Housing Boom is starting to stall the new business isn't coming through now they have a year to 18 months of work then lets see what happens to much building too fast and has for immgration the only figures i hear is 1000 people a week which is the same as 5 years ago at the height of the boom trouble is they don't like to admit things here if its not what they want to hear to many new house are rentals they think house prices will only go up as it will in time but the are down times in-between the vacant rate is going up then add all the new builds that will come onto the market that tells me there is more supply than demand and that only means one thing.

I've been here nearly 6 years and i have know more people leave in the last year than the previous five but saying that if you get a decent job then i would still recommend coming here i love it and thing it has a great future in the long run.

• 2 months later...

I still see lots of people coming here through my work place (I do all the work medicals!) Saying that I hear of people going back to the UK. Perth is what you make of it. There is still work to be found here! My hubby has never been out of work in the flooring trade since being here and neither have I!

I still see lots of people coming here through my work place (I do all the work medicals!) Saying that I hear of people going back to the UK. Perth is what you make of it. There is still work to be found here! My hubby has never been out of work in the flooring trade since being here and neither have I!

I am seeing lots leave and a look through the migration section shows that there is a massive amount more posts now from people from places such as India and Pakistan. A significant decrease in those from the UK and developed countries.

Personal conceptions can be hard to give on a situation - for example, all of my friends in the UK have had very healthy pay rises for the last 8 years and several with the best bonuses in 20 years. To them, they would say the UK has not had any recession. But, I am sure many would disagree.

From what I am seeing, for most, I would recomend a potential migrant does a lot of research and be very careful.

Inam a mod / member of several forums and people across every sector are reporting severe lack of jobs. There are areas of perth / WA at the moment that have unemployment that makes Southern Europe look good - Armadale over 17%, mandurah over 16% and many others.

• 10 months later...
Guest The Pom Queen
How's things now ? I'm back in the uk, miss Perth every day but it was the right time to leave.

How do you find the UK?

Honestly I'm earning double what I was earning in my last role in Perth which is around the same as when I arrived in Perth in 2012. But it's the disposable income I've noticed the biggest difference in.

Theres obviously a price to pay **** weather, no beaches lol but people who say they are moving for financial reasons I think need to take a hard look at the figures, especially if you have children. Even with the Tory cuts of which there's been a lot, I personally have never been as well off as I am right now

We've been here 10 years and love it. But, there's no way I'd be moving here right now, not a chance.

I've read people's opinions on here about Perth, boring, nothing to do etc. and I totally disagree. The place is great. We were back in the UK for a month in December and there's nothing to do there more like; well, apart from go to the pub.

But, unfortunately, economy-wise WA is in free-fall. Anyone planning a move to Australia should be looking at Sydney & Melbourne full stop. We've had a round of redundancies in work, as have plenty of friends, the investment is just not there. You stand a slight chance if you're a tradie on the skills list, forget it if you're an office worker.

Shame really as the place has been great for us. If worst comes to worst, we will have to head over East ourselves. Don't want to mind, and moving back to the UK is option # 897,001.

Seriously it's not just Perth where people are facing redundancy. We will be so in 4 weeks time. We are in Victoria. Despite a new contract being signed it's all gone pear shape. Sadly it's the second time in 7 years for us. We have managed to secure some short term work probably about ten weeks but after that who knows. We are rural and the job market at the minute is not too flash. Moving to another area is not really an option either (elderly mother in law needs some care and lives in the area).

We've been here 10 years and love it. But, there's no way I'd be moving here right now, not a chance.

I've read people's opinions on here about Perth, boring, nothing to do etc. and I totally disagree. The place is great. We were back in the UK for a month in December and there's nothing to do there more like; well, apart from go to the pub.

But, unfortunately, economy-wise WA is in free-fall. Anyone planning a move to Australia should be looking at Sydney & Melbourne full stop. We've had a round of redundancies in work, as have plenty of friends, the investment is just not there. You stand a slight chance if you're a tradie on the skills list, forget it if you're an office worker.

Shame really as the place has been great for us. If worst comes to worst, we will have to head over East ourselves. Don't want to mind, and moving back to the UK is option # 897,001.

Welcome to the forum... Going off the posts on here of late from new arrivals to Perth, they seem to be doing ok and finding work so i do think it depends on your trade somewhat. We too have been here almost 10 years (QLD) and i think in hindsight we were probably a little spoilt with the amount of jobs available around that time, things have slowed down all over the country, some States more than others ,but there are still some jobs out there especially if your flexible.

Cal x

Welcome to the forum... Going off the posts on here of late from new arrivals to Perth, they seem to be doing ok and finding work so i do think it depends on your trade somewhat. We too have been here almost 10 years (QLD) and i think in hindsight we were probably a little spoilt with the amount of jobs available around that time, things have slowed down all over the country, some States more than others ,but there are still some jobs out there especially if your flexible.

Cal x

It's nothing to do with flexibility and everything to do with PR .... When the axe falls 457's are out the door first and your chances of finding another sponsor are slim.