Are people still moving here ?

Angela Claire

I don't like sounding all doom and gloom but it is true that the oil and gas industry is in a very bad way.

Things were here desperate at $70 a barrel so now it's around $50 panic has set in with the operators. Share prices need to be protected which means the divided can't be reduced. With less coming in, the only option is to cut back the capital spend. People might feel safe working on a project that's already had a lot invested in it, but these are also the ones where they can save the most. The don't care if it seems illogical, it's just a case of where the most millions can be saved.

It hasn't fed down to a lot of the companies working in the sector, but it's definitely coming and the cuts will be deep over the next 6 months.

I've been letting people go recently who thought they were in for a rate rise. It's amazing how many people just don't realise the current situation.

Apologies for the negative post, it's not my normal outlook but it is the reality right now

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen
Flipping banana benders !!! You're all trouble :wink::laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: I am laughing so hard right now especially after this last few days, I think I bring trouble wherever I go. I am going back to my little sheltered life, you lot from Perth are nutters :laugh:

Guest The Pom Queen
Not all of us!! Lol

I just looked at your avatar then and smiled thinking of the little one with a gold heart, that's you a heart of gold. Anyway I better shut up or I will get infracted for going off topic

one thing i've heard that seems logical is that the price for Australian gas is dictated by what it can be sold for abroad.

why sell an asset for a pittance, when you can liquidize it sail for a bit and sell it for a shed load more.

this, with the global shift to low carbon is going to really hurt most Australian's

the coal mines will slow, and the price of home gas will rocket.

it could soon be time to start insulating, get solar and keep that electric immersion heater! :o

The place I'm staying said they are opening another three bars soon and I believe they already own a few so obviously they don't think business is slowing down and Flag was saying its $15 a pint so I guess people must still have money coming in as the pubs here ar always packed.

Flag drinks in the wrong pubs.:wink:

Well prior to the last post no one would have known, unless of course they know her outside of the forum, or have the time to read back on her posts.

I think that was it TPQ. I thought it was a bit of a strange and inflamatory post and saw the number of posts, so I looked back at the history to see if they were a bit of a wind up merchant, like some are, and noticed one of the early posts about being a recruitment agent. Think that's how everyone else knew.

one thing i've heard that seems logical is that the price for Australian gas is dictated by what it can be sold for abroad.

why sell an asset for a pittance, when you can liquidize it sail for a bit and sell it for a shed load more.

this, with the global shift to low carbon is going to really hurt most Australian's

the coal mines will slow, and the price of home gas will rocket.

it could soon be time to start insulating, get solar and keep that electric immersion heater! :o

So plenty of jobs installing, solar, insulating rooves and putting in electric immersion heaters. Haven't the government tried the insulation thing before? That didn't go to well did it. Let's see if private enterprise can run it any better.:laugh:

I think that was it TPQ. I thought it was a bit of a strange and inflamatory post and saw the number of posts, so I looked back at the history to see if they were a bit of a wind up merchant, like some are, and noticed one of the early posts about being a recruitment agent. Think that's how everyone else knew.

Again I was only talking about the bad recruitment agents. I'm now well aware that 99% (like the Poster) are well educated and bring a great deal to the local unemployed community with their tireless hunt to better the lives of those who apply for their 100% real jobs advertised. This is due to the high industry standards that they set, but obviously the odd unscrupulous one slips through the net like in any other profession.

Again I was only talking about the bad recruitment agents. I'm now well aware that 99% (like the Poster) are well educated and bring a great deal to the local unemployed community with their tireless hunt to better the lives of those who apply for their 100% real jobs advertised. This is due to the high industry standards that they set, but obviously the odd unscrupulous one slips through the net like in any other profession.

:laugh:

Wow you back pedal fast! It's good to know that I should be cautious if and when I approach recruitment agencies!

I'm out of the O&G game in Perth now, was good while it lasted and I made a pretty penny thanks to a big Canadian Company buying us out back in June. Sure I was made redundant, but all's well that ends well and I got another permanent job 4 months later (and tbh if you remember me complaining about being on the 857 and stuck there it was a relief to leave!)

Now in not-for-profit company that is not likely to go belly up anytime soon (big household name). Otherhalf also in a quasi-government agency that isn't going anywhere either. So for us life in Perth is looking pretty secure for the first time in a long old while.

Also funny how neither of us got anywhere with recruitment agencies and got these jobs directly.

I don't think you'll be seeing many tumbleweeds in the CBD this weekend - I reckon it's going to be packed and I'm pretty excited!

Guest Guest66881
Just doing my bit to feed the wheels commerce. Actually the beers purchased where I and Pom Queen drank were $11.50. (pint) There are places were $15 can be paid though.

You actually met and spoke to someone from here:wideeyed:

It's good to know, the midstream and construction projects are ongoing. The upstream side is heavily affected and seeing serious cuts and redundancies :-(

The may have heard about the protest aboard the Australian flagged vessel Hugli Spirit? The government is wanting to open the coast trade to other flag vessels at of course cheap rates.

Guest The Pom Queen

:laugh: :laugh: I believe you lol

Guest The Pom Queen
You actually met and spoke to someone from here:wideeyed:

I am such a character everyone wants to know if I'm such a nutter in real life so of course they meet up with me. You just play hard to get.

The may have heard about the protest aboard the Australian flagged vessel Hugli Spirit? The government is wanting to open the coast trade to other flag vessels at of course cheap rates.

Unfortunately yes, Abbott is very unpopular amongst the maritime circles. Why should Australian waters be treated differentially to the Australian mainland in respect of immigration controls and the workforce.

I'm out of the O&G game in Perth now, was good while it lasted and I made a pretty penny thanks to a big Canadian Company buying us out back in June. Sure I was made redundant, but all's well that ends well and I got another permanent job 4 months later (and tbh if you remember me complaining about being on the 857 and stuck there it was a relief to leave!)

Now in not-for-profit company that is not likely to go belly up anytime soon (big household name). Otherhalf also in a quasi-government agency that isn't going anywhere either. So for us life in Perth is looking pretty secure for the first time in a long old while.

Also funny how neither of us got anywhere with recruitment agencies and got these jobs directly.

I don't think you'll be seeing many tumbleweeds in the CBD this weekend - I reckon it's going to be packed and I'm pretty excited!

We are thinking of going to see the giants but the number of people that are going to be there is putting us off.:laugh: I think we are spoilt in Perth for going to things like this. We are only used to a few hundred tops probably, turning out to see things and you can get there and back, have a good view without too much difficulty. Now Perth has got a bit bigger with more people it's a lot more of an effort.

I remember when my parents came for the first time and we took them to Hillary's to see a free concert by Daryl Braithwaite. It was the days before the water park was there and you just rolled up with your escie with the beer and sat around with the other people. Not even that packed, good concert, nice temperature. My Dad was looking around for where you had to pay.:laugh:

We used to go to Hillary's a lot for the free concerts but they have got more and more packed as the years have gone by and sometimes we can't be bothered as we might struggle to get a parking spot.:embarrassed: We've just got lazy. Must make the effort to go at the weekend I reckon. I've heard it's cost something like $5.4 mill to get the giants here, so may as well go and see what we're paying for.:wink:

We are thinking of going to see the giants but the number of people that are going to be there is putting us off.:laugh: I think we are spoilt in Perth for going to things like this. We are only used to a few hundred tops probably, turning out to see things and you can get there and back, have a good view without too much difficulty. Now Perth has got a bit bigger with more people it's a lot more of an effort.

I remember when my parents came for the first time and we took them to Hillary's to see a free concert by Daryl Braithwaite. It was the days before the water park was there and you just rolled up with your escie with the beer and sat around with the other people. Not even that packed, good concert, nice temperature. My Dad was looking around for where you had to pay.:laugh:

We used to go to Hillary's a lot for the free concerts but they have got more and more packed as the years have gone by and sometimes we can't be bothered as we might struggle to get a parking spot.:embarrassed: We've just got lazy. Must make the effort to go at the weekend I reckon. I've heard it's cost something like $5.4 mill to get the giants here, so may as well go and see what we're paying for.:wink:

Take the train - the roads are going to be a nightmare