Are people still moving here ?

Angela Claire

My OH works in Oil & Gas and where he works different parts of the construction stage require different skills so while yes a fair few have gone, they have been replaced with another skill set to continue the next phase. Also where he works there are just as many the FIFO from the east coast and even America and the UK. When this particular project come to an end there are two more in the pipeline so it's not that bleak.

The trouble is though that projects will be shelved if they are not economic.

Citigroup is predicting oil could go down to $20 a barrel.

If that happens your projects may get mothballed very quickly.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-09/citi-oil-could-plunge-to-20-and-this-might-be-the-end-of-opec-

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble is though that projects will be shelved if they are not economic.

Citigroup is predicting oil could go down to $20 a barrel.

If that happens your projects may get mothballed very quickly.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-09/citi-oil-could-plunge-to-20-and-this-might-be-the-end-of-opec-

OH is Gas, so I'm not sure about the oil sorry. The Gas is expected to provide the Whole of Australia for 70 odd years and they've already spent billions on it so these ones won't be ceased.

OH is Gas, so I'm not sure about the oil sorry. The Gas is expected to provide the Whole of Australia for 70 odd years and they've already spent billions on it so these ones won't be ceased.

The gas price is tied to the oil price. Most of the gas projects in oz were very speculative at best based on large Chinese sales. Do not assume because a project has had money spent it won't be affected. I came across many people saying this when I was at Rosslyn Hill mine a month ago. I closed two weeks ago.

The gas price is tied to the oil price. Most of the gas projects in oz were very speculative at best based on large Chinese sales. Do not assume because a project has had money spent it won't be affected. I came across many people saying this when I was at Rosslyn Hill mine a month ago. I closed two weeks ago.

We can only go by the information that is given by the companies that work there. Two of the trains are finished 3 more are in the process of being built and Gas due to be pumped to the mainline by the end of the year. OH is subcontracted so they've got the contact until at least the end of the year with a maintenance contract likely afterwards. I'm absolutely no expert though so we'll just have to see.

Also genuine question because I really don't understand. What has Australian Gass being pumped into the Australian mainland for consumption by Australia got to do with Oil and the Chinese ? It doesn't take much to confuse me! :wink:

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

I hope all is well because I'm looking to move out either end of this year or early next year! You haven't given me much confidence in recruitment agencies!

There's lots of them and I got my current job through one. That was days before the internet though, when real jobs were advertised in the Sunday paper. Now the agencies seem to have the same jobs and some of them don't even exist, they are just a ruse to get you on their books so if they do find you a position they are taking a cut.

Works sometimes though, the agency took a cut of my first years salary but at least they got me a job I've been happy in. My son has had more luck as a sparkie going through agencies.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/oil-price-slump-hits-mining-and-resources-jobs/story-fn59niix-1227187649286?nk=e9d03dda80951cb7acb2a58597332b8d

Unfortunately even the Gorgon project is facing difficulties. I'm closer to the front line, so when drilling/exploration stops, we stop. We are losing a few rigs. I though the next train on Gorgon was restructured.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/oil-price-slump-hits-mining-and-resources-jobs/story-fn59niix-1227187649286?nk=e9d03dda80951cb7acb2a58597332b8d

Unfortunately even the Gorgon project is facing difficulties. I'm closer to the front line, so when drilling/exploration stops, we stop. We are losing a few rigs. I though the next train on Gorgon was restructured.

There are so many different companies working for different umberellas it gets confusing. The companywho were set to do it are not now but a new company Downer....I think ,are now doing it. But as is anywhere a lot of it is rumour and speculation which is what heads for the papers. The new company could even be using the exact same sub contractors the old ones were , so the same people. Sorry I'm probably not putting it well. Beds are full up there and. OHs firm has started 3 new people this week. This is all I know from what OH who's there obviously tells me.

Guest The Pom Queen
Office vacancy rates at the highest they've been in 20 years.

The terrace (CBD hub) has tumble weeds blowing down it.

Drat I must have missed the tumble weeds, I heard the Giants are coming to town :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
Oh well if you'd rather bitch about my chosen profession than discuss the economic climate i'll leave you to it.

I thought I might be able to engage in intelligent discussion, clearly I've come to the wrong place in more ways than one.

How on earth are people suppose to know you are a recruitment agent, I don't think people carry a crystal ball around with them. So I guess you have a job then.

Guest The Pom Queen
They're pumping money into Elizabeth Quay so someone must be projecting an interest somewhere.

The place I'm staying said they are opening another three bars soon and I believe they already own a few so obviously they don't think business is slowing down and Flag was saying its $15 a pint so I guess people must still have money coming in as the pubs here ar always packed.

Guest The Pom Queen
Wonder if anyone feels like the little boy in the story the emporors new clothes ....I know I do :D but you after be careful for giving ya opinion because ya get kicked off

Would you care to elaborate? Who has been banned on here for giving their opinion? I must have missed a lot whilst I've been in Perth.

I thought people only got banned for breaking forum rules?

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't mean to be rude ...but if people have no jobs ...how can they afford 15cents for a pint nevermind 15$

Why is that rude, you have just agreed with what I said

Guest The Pom Queen
I know Angela's a recruitment agent ....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out :)

Well prior to the last post no one would have known, unless of course they know her outside of the forum, or have the time to read back on her posts.

Well prior to the last post no one would have known, unless of course they know her outside of the forum, or have the time to read back on her posts.

All I did was make a comment about what I hated when I was last on the job hunt. Who would have known she was a recruitment agent...

Honest Miss!:smile: