Having kids

FOL

We don't have kids yet, but would definitely want two kids in the future. We don't want to be full time working parents as we want to be there for our kids.

We both had an income of 65k gross annually. And managed to save around 2k net a month when we had a $420 a week rental house.

If we have kids, my wife wants to work 2 or 3 days a week. So her income is likely to drop to somewhere around 25k annually. We were wondering if we would manage having kids.

What kind of benefits/rebates/etc would you have? I know there is child care rebate that covers up to 50% of the cost of child care (up to $7500 a year per child). Then there is child care benefit and family support allowance.

So I made a calculation on centrelink and we could get around 3k family assistance entitlement a year. Child care at $80 a day for 2 kids, 2 days a week = $16640 a year. 7.5k is covered by the government, so you have to pay 9k yourself.

So to sum it up; We would earn $40 grant less a year, due to having less salary, we pay $9000 grant for child care, but get 3k family allowance. So we have to pay $6000 compared to our current situation. And then I didn't even talk about all the extra costs (food, clothes, etc etc). Seems like an impossible or am I overlooking something here?

We don't have kids yet, but would definitely want two kids in the future. We don't want to be full time working parents as we want to be there for our kids.

We both had an income of 65k gross annually. And managed to save around 2k net a month when we had a $420 a week rental house.

If we have kids, my wife wants to work 2 or 3 days a week. So her income is likely to drop to somewhere around 25k annually. We were wondering if we would manage having kids.

What kind of benefits/rebates/etc would you have? I know there is child care rebate that covers up to 50% of the cost of child care (up to $7500 a year per child). Then there is child care benefit and family support allowance.

So I made a calculation on centrelink and we could get around 3k family assistance entitlement a year. Child care at $80 a day for 2 kids, 2 days a week = $16640 a year. 7.5k is covered by the government, so you have to pay 9k yourself.

So to sum it up; We would earn $40 grant less a year, due to having less salary, we pay $9000 grant for child care, but get 3k family allowance. So we have to pay $6000 compared to our current situation. And then I didn't even talk about all the extra costs (food, clothes, etc etc). Seems like an impossible or am I overlooking something here?

Definitely. Overthinking it. No-one could ever afford to have kids. If you really want them, have them..the rest will sort itself out.

When they come along, you'll wonder why you went so long without having them in the first place such is the joy they bring you. They totally consume you in every way, the last thing you'll think about is how on earth to 'budget' for them or how much money you've got left...

I like your thoughtfullness though, and planning ahead - so many people have them and cant 'afford' them which can sometimes result in not the best start in life. However, the want for kids should out way the affordability.

Edited by Bora
not finished

You get used to them, you economise on things you didn't know you spent so much on and once you've got them you wouldn't change it for the world. Penury, sleepless nights, mess - you'll love it! I agree, don't overthink it - if you want to have a family go for it!

Indeed. Going from 0 kids to 1 is a big leap. It's like suddenly being beamed into a parallel universe.

It's not for everyone, but it was for all our parents and their parents. (Otherwise we wouldn't be here).

I was 31 when my eldest was born and I really did loads of living before so have no regrets at all. We have 3 now. And a dog and 3 cats and 2 hamsters.

None of it 'makes sense' - but it makes sense to me. Follow your heart! (You too could be skint and tired like us!) [emoji106]

Edited by Captain Roberto

Then they go and worm their way into your heart and you're stuck with them!

That is so true. They make you a better person too IMO. I was 43 when mine was born and I was totally selfish really. The selfishness is still there (bit ingrained) but you have to put this small persons needs above your wants and it is a life enhancing experience really. I try not to think about the cost as you think you would have been rich without having kids but the reality is you would just have spent the money on lots of stuff you didn't need so would be no better off.

I wasn't interested in having children really. I got married at 21 and we got our dream house and no way could we afford for me to go part time, so we put it to the back of our minds. Thinking we'll address it again when I'm 30. 2 years later following a holiday to The Gambia I came back pregnant. We were both in a state of shock. But after the initial panic we managed. I did go part time and I think maybe the only thing I really remember missing out on was our holidays, to start with and maybe a few less nights out. But to be honest a hangover and having to change nappies doesn't mix anyway :laugh:

I was married at 25 and didn't have my first until I was 33. I didn't really like children very much way back then. They seemed noisy, selfish demanding little so and so's. We also wanted to do a lot of travelling without children in tow. After settling in Australia we decided to start a family. There's no doubt about it though, the joy they bring outweighs everything else.

A month before our wedding I found out I was 4 months pregnant. We were getting married and moving house the day after we got back from honey moon stressed was an under statement. 16 years later and 2 more girls later(3 girls in total) I couldn't be more happier. I go with out so my girls can have things I go shopping determined not to buy things for them just me but it never happens. I did all my living before having them. I wouldnt be with out them x

[/color]

Definitely. Overthinking it. No-one could ever afford to have kids. If you really want them, have them..the rest will sort itself out.

Agreed. If you are asking if you can afford kids then you don't really want them. If you really want them then you make the numbers work.

It's never the right time to have kids; they cost too much, you have better things to spend money on, you have a career to get on with, places you want to see, things you want to do.

You just manage somehow.

TBH the thing I miss most is freedom; I can't go where I want to when I want to. I can't go for a run whenever I want to. I can't be selfish anymore.

I manage somehow.

I'm just hoping they grow up rich so I can move into their house and make a bloody great mess on the floor. That'll show them.

I think the best age would be to have them in your 30's. I think a lot of people are too selfish really in their 20's really.

Agreed.....though sometimes I think 20s would be easier. I had more energy. Could stay awake till the small hours then still get up and be vaguely human. That's a bit more of a struggle in your mid 30s!!

It's never the right time to have kids; they cost too much, you have better things to spend money on, you have a career to get on with, places you want to see, things you want to do.

You just manage somehow.

TBH the thing I miss most is freedom; I can't go where I want to when I want to. I can't go for a run whenever I want to. I can't be selfish anymore.

I manage somehow.

I'm just hoping they grow up rich so I can move into their house and make a bloody great mess on the floor. That'll show them.

Be nice to your children.... They'll choose your nursing home! Lol!

I did loads of spreadsheets before I had kids until I found some sums to make it work. Lots of things are cheaper - It's expensive going to work, commuting, buying work gear. You won't be going out for about 10 years - think of how much you'll save in pub visits!!

We couldn't afford it really but at aged 32 I thought bugger it I'm not getting any younger and went for it anyway...

Had my first at age 20 and last at age 45 (5 boys). In between, I also fostered, having as many as 9 kids at a time to care for. Even now, at age 66 I still have 2 sons at home, one who is dependent on me and will never be independent. I still receieve visits from foster kids and their kids. I have never counted the cost of raising kids, and I don't just mean financially. I don't regret one moment of it and consider the raising of kids to be my finest achievement and my greatest source of pleasure