Cheap/value shipping options

Captain Roberto

Hi all

I have skirted around this issue before, but I might an well cut to the chase.

We have paid and budgeted for most things for our move on July 2nd. We haven't got much for shipping. It seems, reading through the lines, that where possible, shipping companies will try and upsell and charge as much as they can (it is business after all).

We might have a shared 20ft container worth of stuff or a large movecube worth of stuff. If we can accept that we won't get the 'best' service or the quickest (with satellite tracking and all those things) we would like to see what can be got the cheapest.

Likely things to ship would be various boxes,

a big TV.

2 x single bed frames.

1 x single mattress

Some big bedroom drawers

A dining table

6 dining chairs

2 x scooters

And more bits

So, what are the cheapest options? We have some shipping companies coming for quotes, but pretty sure it'll come in more like £3000

We are looking at £1500 max (all in). If anyone has any tips we'd appreciate it.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I am moving back to UK to. I only want to take queen bed, two single beds (all with matressed) two seater and three seater lounge, small dining table and 4 chairs plus sideboard, PC, and about six boxes. I have been reading some really scary quotes. Anyone have any idea where I should start to get the best deal? Thank you.

• 2 years later...

Unless its Antique or special to you why dont you just buy the beds etc here? Aussie beds are slightly different sizes too, so bring plenty of bedding with you if you do bring beds, or the bedding you buy here doesnt quite fit.

Many years ago we sent about 8 large boxes of mainly personal or kids stuff plus a couple of tool boxes over in a shared container using Crown Relo and it wasnt that pricey and also gave us the freedom to buy the furniture we needed when we needed it and to match the house, so that's something worth thinking about if not shipping loads.

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2015 at 12:01, Captain Roberto said:

We know about Movecube. So if anything else can do a similar job cheaply we'd love to know about it!

Was just typing a reply here when I realised the OP was from 2015 :) However, thought the below may be useful for those currently considering so am posting anyway! (Mods, please feel free to remove if this is too much of a delay!) ...

Many international removal companies offer a 'shared container' (sometimes called groupage) service to Australia. Your belongings are collected and then loaded in a container with customers moving to the same destination and at the other end they are customs cleared and separated back out (don't worry, they are carefully labelled, inventoried and separated to avoid mix ups) and delivered to your new home.

A large Move Cube is around 220cubic feet which you should be able to get as a shared load service easily within that £1500 budget (for a standard move with easy access and no special packing requirements). Check out the FIDI website for a list of certified and independently vetted professional movers you could contact to ask for quotes.