Guest gemmahey

Guest gemmahey

Hi All,

All i have to simply say is:

If you dont wanna go.

Dont go!

If you wanna come back.

Come back!

God i no y we got our nickname WHINGING POMS!

Where never happy!

I am sorry but i come on this site to feel good, congratulate others on there visa's been granted and get excited about mine getting nearer and nearer daily!

People experiance things differently, my thought is all these people on this site wouldnt have gone through all this stress, hassle and expense if they werent serious about their move. And you no what you can always come back if you want, nothings indefinate!

As far as i am concerned my partner and his whole family are from Oz and in my eyes and they are the best thing about Oz.

Yes the grass isnt always greener but let people live their experiances themselves, its differant for every one.

I personally cant wait to start a new life with my partner and his friends and family and for every-one that is still excited about their visas been granted,

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!! FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WHAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why shouldn`t people be able to post their experiences good & bad - surely it is all relevant ? If people have a bad experience then what is wrong with using this public forum as a sounding board - they might feel better for sounding off or come away with a different view point when others post their experiences views. Everyones feelings are relevant and whilst it`s good that many enjoy life, everyone struggles from time to time, why shouldn`t they be able to share their worries?? If you don`tlike reading negatives then simply hit the back button.

Guest gemmahey

I understand that but when i havent visited the site for a few days and the home page is just full of negative threads its abit disheartening and i wanted to express myself and I personally feel better for 'sounding off'. I am just trying to get people excited again.

Guest Tracey from Braintree

My thought is this -

It's one thing to post a negative comment when it is constructive and in context but what seems to be happening recently is that people are inciting negativity to get a reaction. Unfortunately it's working as we all keep reacting.

Those who post constructive negative comments should be congratulated where appropriate but those who incite it should be ignored!

Guest peppa
Why shouldn`t people be able to post their experiences good & bad - surely it is all relevant ? If people have a bad experience then what is wrong with using this public forum as a sounding board - they might feel better for sounding off or come away with a different view point when others post their experiences views. Everyones feelings are relevant and whilst it`s good that many enjoy life, everyone struggles from time to time, why shouldn`t they be able to share their worries?? If you don`tlike reading negatives then simply hit the back button.

I completly agree. I have used this site for many reasons for a long time and have made some fantastic friends both here in australia and in england. For the large majority of us on here who have made it to Oz have (will) had moments of uncertainty, homesickness and regret and we post our feelings on Poms as we consider our fellow poms 'friends' and friends are not just there to congratulate you on your sucsess but to also listen when things are not to great. This forum and others like it are here to help, support, inform and listen, just because your experience is not all positive that should not mean you cant post about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are many people who are scared to hear about anything other than how fantastic it is here (I think it is!) If you beleive that our grass over here is greener than you are in for a big shock!! as its just another shade of green.

You can learn just as much from these so called negitive post as you can from the positive ones.

I understand that but when i havent visited the site for a few days and the home page is just full of negative threads its abit disheartening and i wanted to express myself and I personally feel better for 'sounding off'. I am just trying to get people excited again.

I think that`s the thing - I can remember feeling the same way when I first started the visa process and I could not stand to hear anything negative about Oz - I almost felt like it was a personal insult to me!!:biglaugh:Trouble is no where is paradise -I love it here but there are some things which annoy me - just like they would in the UK. It`s not that I hate Oz it`s just that life is frustrating wherever you are and moving over the other side of the world is such a major stress ride that you don`t always realise that in fact that it is just the beginning and it carries on when you are trying to build a life, get used to new ways, make new friendships and generally have to think about every single silly little decision, because you don`t know what it`s called over here or you don`t know where to go for what you need. By moving here you effectively wipe out decades of friendships, security and normality (I know the friends are still back in UK but new real friendships can take years to evolve). Having a moan does help, so long as you can see the positives too - I know some people who hate it here so much they pick and pick at every single little thing and blame Oz for their unhappiness, as much as that annoys me I also feel a certain sympathy because it`s not always as easy to just say ok we will go back tomorrow.

God sorry I`ve rambled on now - hope it works out for you though.

Note to Admin:

Maybe a separate forum for "Negative Posts" with a warning to the faint hearted that they might not like what they read. Plus it will give pple like myself a place to let loose without seeming to p??s on someone else's parade.

Just an Idea

Guest gemmahey

Thanks for that,

I realise that grass isnt always greener,

I have said to my partner several times if i get over to Aus and at the end of the 2 year visa i really want to come home to the U.K i will be doing. He seems to think once i,ve moved over there i will fall in love with Oz and i'll be staying but i said i may not settle and want to come back. I just want to let people no that some thing this big and expensive is not some thing people just do on a whim and have thought about it excensively, and i personally cant wait!

Note to Admin:

Maybe a separate forum for "Negative Posts" with a warning to the faint hearted that they might not like what they read. Plus it will give pple like myself a place to let loose without seeming to p??s on someone else's parade.

Just an Idea

good idea Aldo - cause i aint even started yet !!!! :biglaugh:

Guest gemmahey
Note to Admin:

Just an Idea

That actually is a real good idea!

I'd prob be using it alot about 6 months in2 living in Oz!:biglaugh:

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Good Idea Aldo

I think there should be a section for all those coming home and to have a rant in. I can see both sides here.

Gizmo I can hear you already hun :realmad: :biglaugh:

Janette

Note to Admin:

Just an Idea

I hear what you are saying, but where do you draw the line - and who decides what is a moan and what is merely stating a fact?? And how many different sections does the forum need - it`s already got loads and wouldn`t it be negative just to have a section on complaints.

Good Idea Aldo

I think there should be a section for all those coming home and to have a rant in. I can see both sides here.

Janette

Now that would be good (although I still think we have too many different sections already) - not necessarily that it would all be about negatives but sharing experiences & the hassles involved.

That actually is a real good idea!

I'd prob be using it alot about 6 months in2 living in Oz!:biglaugh:

& before you said :-

Hi All,

All i have to simply say is:

If you dont wanna go.

Dont go!

If you wanna come back.

Come back!

God i no y we got our nickname WHINGING POMS!

Where never happy!

you changed your mind already ?? you seem to have gone from not likeing negative posts to now possibly joining in !!!!

Good Idea Aldo

Janette

Jannette ya got it in one good on ya gal,

im off to watch ladette to lady catch ya later

giz x

When we were first starting our adventure - I used to look at all the forums looking for posts where people were struggling, having second thoughts, thinking of coming back etc., I did this because I really didn't want to look at the move through rose coloured specs, I wanted to know about everything warts and all - we used these as a basis of discussion "what if this/that happened to us" - it made us really consider the move in every possible detail - not the "we'll be really happy and it'll be wonderful and we'll live happily ever after" variety. It still worries me sometimes, that when people share their feelings that the move hasn't been what they hoped, despite trying everyday they still feel sad and homesick - it's called being negative - it's just another side of the realism coin - this is how it works out for some people. Look at Essex to Aus - no way would he have been put off his move no matter what was thrown at him ... now he's back in the UK. As PIO gets bigger and bigger (when the likes of myself, Cal, Gill and Jo started nearly everyone was in the UK) and more of it's members get to Aus, we're going to get a much more balanced opinion of what life is really like.

For us it's been a wonderful experience, we're happy, settled, content and feel very comfortable with the life we're leading ... it could have been very different and I thank my lucky stars that it wasn't. We don't want to spoil peoples enthusiasm but lets also appreciate that some people are going through a tough time and we may be all the support they have for the moment.

I'll get off my soap box now

Ali

Guest gemmahey
My thought is this -

It's one thing to post a negative comment when it is constructive and in context but what seems to be happening recently is that people are inciting negativity to get a reaction. Unfortunately it's working as we all keep reacting.

Those who post constructive negative comments should be congratulated where appropriate but those who incite it should be ignored!

I understand that and i think its great that people are posting their personal situation and experiances i dont class them as 'negative' but realistic.

Just like Tracey wrote above some threads are started just to have a moan, and when i hadnt been on the site for a while and the home page was full of 'Negative posts only' threads, I felt compelled to write to say Good Luck to all them who are excited about going and getting their visa.

(Plus i woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning):cute:

Guest Pingpongpom
When we were first starting our adventure - I used to look at all the forums looking for posts where people were struggling, having second thoughts, thinking of coming back etc., I did this because I really didn't want to look at the move through rose coloured specs, I wanted to know about everything warts and all - we used these as a basis of discussion "what if this/that happened to us" - it made us really consider the move in every possible detail - not the "we'll be really happy and it'll be wonderful and we'll live happily ever after" variety. It still worries me sometimes, that when people share their feelings that the move hasn't been what they hoped, despite trying everyday they still feel sad and homesick - it's called being negative - it's just another side of the realism coin - this is how it works out for some people. Look at Essex to Aus - no way would he have been put off his move no matter what was thrown at him ... now he's back in the UK. As PIO gets bigger and bigger (when the likes of myself, Cal, Gill and Jo started nearly everyone was in the UK) and more of it's members get to Aus, we're going to get a much more balanced opinion of what life is really like.

For us it's been a wonderful experience, we're happy, settled, content and feel very comfortable with the life we're leading ... it could have been very different and I thank my lucky stars that it wasn't. We don't want to spoil peoples enthusiasm but lets also appreciate that some people are going through a tough time and we may be all the support they have for the moment.

I'll get off my soap box now

Ali

..good post Ali:smile:..there is positive and negative in all that we do, and we would be very confused if we listened to everyone..we would not do or try anything for fear of it going wrong..i enjoy reading all these different posts..my heart goes out to those who are finding it very difficult or are coming back, as i know what they have had to do to get there, and my wishes are genuine when i hope they eventually settle and learn to love Aus..but that is only because i love it..if they feel the UK is better for them i also wish them all the best and that they will be content and settled again..it's also wonderful when you hear things are working out for people arriving..it is good for them and people reading the posts..the spirit of the forum surely is to help and support, and share a common goal..whatever that may be?..maybe to feel you are at 'home'..whether it be here or Aus..

Tess:cute:

Guest leanneandmark

This has to be the strangest thread i've read!!! :wacko:

From:...Don't post negative comments!! To: ....Well maybe you can, cos i may actually join in !! :swoon:

I think as my old Nan says 'Don't critisize others but if you have to, always keep it constructive' .....Well some thing like that any way!!!

Guest madgenrich

I think a lot of the time people who move around feel a great sense of not belonging and of neeing to be back amongst familiar people and things, sadly though this is not always the answer, I have moved a lot and it has taken me a long time to realise the dfference between being homesick and missing people to real unhappiness with my situation in life. It really does take time, the fond memories you have of being at home amongst loved ones and familiar things are not really the way it was. I came back to Scotland because I thought it is where I belong, I have since realised it isn't, I have changed so much over time that I am not the same person I was and am glad about that, I am looking forward to the challenge of moving to Oz, yes it will be hard and i will miss people but you have to realise there is a reason you leave your home in the first place, my life is so much richer for the people I have met and the friends I have made everywhere my children's lives as well. Giving yourself time to look at what you have and realise that it's just homesickness and it will pass might be all you need to do. Anyway sorry to ramble on, life is a beach we should all go surfing!

I am coming to Oz on Friday and I cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chatterbox:

Madge

This has to be the strangest thread i've read!!! :wacko:

From:...Don't post negative comments!! To: ....Well maybe you can, cos i may actually join in !! :swoon:

I think as my old Nan says 'Don't critisize others but if you have to, always keep it constructive' .....Well some thing like that any way!!!

I actually quite like reading all the negative, whinging posts. Some of it makes me smile, some of it I compare to the everyday crap me and OH put up with over here in "good old UK" and some of it I find really informative. Carry on people - at the end of the day it's personal choice if you're going to up and leave, and if you are really set on it nothing and no-one will change your mind and way of thinking that easily. Everyone deserves to have a moan and everyone derserves to share their own opinion after all...

Guest madgenrich

fair play mate, hav another

I don't care - had a few beers after a great day in the sun working on the olive grove:twitcy::twitcy:

Guest tony and sheena

Hi

Most people are on here asking about Australia because we want to know what it is actually like, if we wanted a glossy airbrushed version, we would contact the Australian tourism guys, not a discussion forum. I like to look at the lovely homes and beaches and dream of bbq's and sun as much as anyone else, but we're not going on a holiday! We want to know the reality, warts and all!

Sheena

Archived