Question about change location during Citizenship process...

Eugene Kim

Hi all,

I hope I am in the right place for this question.

Let me explain my current circumstance first.

I am based on South Yarra (Stonnington council) and will sit the Australian citizenship test on 24th of February.

I might need to move out to other place where is not possibly a place of Stonnington council or even overseas after the test.

In this case, who should I contact to update my address? the council or the DIAC? and is the Stonnington council still my council relating to all Citizenship process such as the ceremony?

And the worst case that if I will have to stay overseas for a long time, how can I be notified of the process? Do they provide an email service If I don't have any Australia-based address?

(And also... I am not sure I will be able to stay overseas on the way of the Citizenship process even if it doesn't seem to be a problem based on the link: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/ceremonies/attending_ceremony/)

But I might stay overseas more than 1 year.

Any comments would be appreciated.

If you need to leave Australia after your test but before your ceremony, you must notify DIBP. Best way is to call the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.

The decision to approve your application could be reviewed and cancelled if you do not attend a citizenship ceremony within 12 months of your application being approved. If you have an acceptable reason for not attending within that time, an exception may be made. Urgent ceremonies can be arranged in very limited circumstances but you will need to provide evidence that your need is urgent.

You should contact DIBP about any change of address after you pass the citizenship test but they won't automatically update your citizenship ceremony location unless you ask them specifically to do so.

Personally I'd not recommend not going overseas for an extended period before your ceremony as they won't email you, only send a letter to your registered address which can be sent just a couple weeks before the ceremony. It can be a big pain not being able to travel, I personally had to forgo some work related business trips because I didn't know which ceremony I'd get allocated to...

I travelled on holiday to Japan for two weeks whilst waiting for a ceremony - didn't notify DIBP and nothing bad happened. I also had a ceremony scheduled and had to travel interstate at two days' notice - told my local council and it didn't cause a problem, I just got put into the next ceremony.