LukeM

Need full UK Birth Certificate - please help!

Hi

I need to obtain a full birth certificate. Anybody know how to go about this? I applied for/paid for one, and when I got it, it was only a Certified Copy of an Entry which is not adequate for what I need. I only have an original 'short' birth certificate.

So as I said I need one, but a full one, with parents' names etc - but cannot be a certified copy of an entry.

Anybody know how to get one? Kinda annoyed that I wasted money on what I believed would be the correct thing.

Thanks.

Edited by Ozmaniac
Tidying formatting

"Is that Luke... as in Luke Skywalker?" | Brisbane, Australia since August 2010 :cool:

Unless your parents still have the original one, you can only get a certified copy afaik. Certaibly, when I applied, after my original got tatty, I was given a certified copy.

Husband's Spouse Visa Offshore Application 309/100 Sent 24/09/13

Application Received at Australia House, London 25/09/13 @ 07:49

Payment taken 26/09/13

CO assigned 05/11/13 (WP)

Visa Subclass 100 Partner Migrant Visa granted 30/05/14

Guest Chewitts
Unless your parents still have the original one, you can only get a certified copy afaik. Certaibly, when I applied, after my original got tatty, I was given a certified copy.

Yep that's right....the only original you will ever have is the one given to your parents when they registered your birth, often a short one is also given at that time......any after that one will always be certified copies

I had the same problem but in UK the original is the one that is written in the Registrar's Book and is kept by them, the one that you get, in exchange for a lot of money, is a certified copy but is usually acceptable to all Australian authorities at both State and Federal level. What they will not accept is a copy certified by a JP or similar of that Official Certified Copy.

My M.I.L. recently passed away, we had to provide original certified copies of her death certificate to government departments, the NSW Registrar charges $41 for these which is rather a lot for a colour print on A4 paper. Most of the government departments want these original certified copies and they will not return them. OK we are not starving and can pay these exorbitant charges but I feel sorry for someone like a widow pensioner who is struggling to make ends meet.

Nigel's Travel Blog

General Blog

I live in Australia for family reasons. My family is in UK.

I had the same problem but in UK the original is the one that is written in the Registrar's Book and is kept by them, the one that you get, in exchange for a lot of money, is a certified copy but is usually acceptable to all Australian authorities at both State and Federal level. What they will not accept is a copy certified by a JP or similar of that Official Certified Copy.

My M.I.L. recently passed away, we had to provide original certified copies of her death certificate to government departments, the NSW Registrar charges $41 for these which is rather a lot for a colour print on A4 paper. Most of the government departments want these original certified copies and they will not return them. OK we are not starving and can pay these exorbitant charges but I feel sorry for someone like a widow pensioner who is struggling to make ends meet.

I know now what you mean. Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll just have to see what happens. As far as I know my parents have claimed they've never had a full one other than a certified copy of an entry. I guess I will just have to take it and see what happens. Thanks anyway!

"Is that Luke... as in Luke Skywalker?" | Brisbane, Australia since August 2010 :cool:

I had the same thing - the original was the "short" version, so for my visa stuff I had to order a copy of the "full" version from the GRO, I think it was about £9.50.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

My parents also claimed they've only ever had the short version ;)

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship interview invite 02/03/20  22/09/20 | Citizenship interview 27/04/20 11/11/20 | Citizenship ceremony 26/01/21

I've just registered my daughters birth in November and we got the free short one and paid for the full one at the same time. Even that says certified copy on it so that's as good as you'll get!

Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!

You had to pay extra for the full version when you registered the births (or at least you did when I had my children).

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows