Shipping Car back to UK - Calculating Costs

selma77

Hi All,

We were planning to sell our car rather than ship but are not getting the price we had hoped so are looking to calculate whether it is worth shipping it instead.

I can get prices for the Shipping, Insurance and to convert the odometer and speedometer but need help calculating the other "hidden costs" associated with customs etc.

Can those who have shipped their cars back help me with this.

Also did you find you had any issues with Insuring in UK. It is a Kia Sorento which is a standard car available over there so parts are readily available so logically shouldn't be an issue but just wanted to check with others experiences are.

Would love to hear any info you have about costs or associated problems with shipping cars from Australia to UK.

Thanks,

No practical advice but would love to learn more too. I know that people typically advise against shipping ordinary cars but we reckon that with the amount you get ripped off by when selling, and the amount you get ripped off for when buying it is worth shipping a reliable motor. We have a Hyundai Santa Fe - nothing special but really reliable, low mileage and not particularly cheap in UK

iv done some digging on this, rough cost to ship a car from australia to the uk is 3000 dollars, with a 195 pound landing fee. this is a roll on roll off service. the iva inspection in the uk is roughly 500-700 pound. then you have vat @17.5% and duty on that. different circumstances for importation can make you eligible for tax breaks etc. best talking to an agent.

taurus logistics quoted me to ship the car and rjj freight limited deal with it at the other end.

best to email/call these people to sort a quote out. it can also take 3 months for the car to land.

It would be rare for it to be worth it - my OH had a 'special' car, that he desperately loved and there was no way we could make it financially viable to ship it back even when we had to let it go for $5k (we'd paid double that).

Forget how much you paid for the car in Australia, look on Autotrader or similar to see how much you could buy one for in the UK - then add $4-5k to the price you can get for your car in Australia (the approximate cost of shipping, modifications etc.). If the UK car costs more then it might be worth taking it.

As chrisk says though, it'll be 3 months before you get it so you have to be able to manage without it at one end or the other & that would have been tricky for us, we need two cars.

We also considered the sheer hassle and decided it wasn't worth it - I told my OH he could take his car or the cat....he made the right choice :)

A car can go in a sole use container so depending on what else you are shipping that could be an option - we do regret not bringing our car to Australia with us in the first place.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

We are taking the kombi back. It's only another $2k to go from a 20 to 40 ft container and we drive it in when it is loaded. Makes sense to take it. No vat or iva just mot when we get there as it's old

my understanding is....if you have not owned the car for at least 6 months in Australia....and you do not then keep it a further 12 months in the UK, it will be eligible for both duty (10% of its deemed value) and VAT (which I thought to be 20%, not the 17.5% someone else mentioned). For those who do not meet both sides of this equation (such as the person sending via a 3rd party), your 40K AUD car, will then be potentially liable for a further 7K GBP in VAT and duty, before considering the not insignificant costs of transport from Southampton or Newcastle ports (it is illegal to drive the car) - which at a cost of around 3GBP per mile (you could easily be up for a further 1000 GBP just there) plus MOT, plus engineering the car back to UK standards (speedometer...technically you need not worry about odometer according to DVA), plus customs charges at both Australian and UK ports, plus you'll often want insurance lest your car get damaged.

HOWEVER - in having said that - if you wish to bring lots of personal effects back with you, and you do meet the 6/12 month criteria - then sending via container (not via RORO) is actually a pretty wise thing to do. I can provide more detailed customs charge breakdown for you later if you wish...

Hi all,

New user here, but would like to get some info regarding shipping a car from Australia back to Ireland.

Alot of the threads say dont bother, its cheaper to buy another at home etc, etc, but after doing a full restoration, I want to keep it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just to add my story...

I bought my car from the UK 18 months ago and now I'm shipping it back again. I've gone from a 20ft to 40ft which didn't cost a lot more. I had accumulated extra stuff so had to do it anyway.

When it arrives in the UK, I'll get the car insured and then drive to the nearest MOT (which you are legally allowed to do). Get an MOT. You've then got 14 days to sort out the new rego plate with the DVLA (80 GBP plus cost at Halfords to make the plate up).

Coastie.