visas

Guest alecsonya

Guest alecsonya

I'm a registered nurse i'm wanting to imigrant and be a perminent resident in Australia. What would my fiancee's working rights be and would he be able to become a perminent resident?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sonya

I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to help. I think let's avoid 'fiance' and call him a 'Partner' to simplify the concept for me. You two are a 'family unit' is the guts of it, so if you get PR, he does as well.

As far as I know, anyone who has has PR has full work-rights as well. The burble about the Contributory Parent visa says that my mother has full work-rights. She is 86 and disabled but I've advised her to get cracking and get a job so as not to waste this sought-after right.

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that the answers to your questions are Yes and Yes. Others will probably confirm this if I'm right and if I'm wrong, they'll set you straight.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Sonya,

You'd have no problem, both you and your partner would be classed as 1 family unit, the immigration dept here recognises de-facto relationships an you would have no problem getting a visa on that front as you are engaged.

Your partner once in Australia would have the same rights as yourself with getting work i.e anything apart from those jobs that require you to be an Australian citezen in fields such as defence etc...

You could try asking Phil as he probably khows more aout the ins and outs of these issues.

As Gill has noted, so long as you and your partner can demonstrate that you are in a genuine and ongoing relationship your partner would be granted the same visa as you.

As a guide, if you can demonstrate you have been living together for at least 12 months your partner should be granted a visa on the basis of being your de facto spouse. To evidence this you would usually provide documents such as:

- a signed declaration from you and your partner describing how you met, when you moved in together, how you feel about each other, etc

- signed declarations from family and friends describing how they know you, their understanding of your relationship, etc

- documents confirming you live at the same address, such as rental agreements, loan statements, etc

- evidence of holidaying together

- etc

Hope this helps.

Hi

My brother was already in Aus when he applied for residency, his girlfriend was already an Aus citizen.

He asked me to send over all the bills they had in joint names from their time that they'd lived together in the UK in addition to those he'd already got from their time in Aus. I also sent letters they had sent to each other going back a couple of years, to prove that their relationship was longstanding.

I've heard others mention that they've included photo's etc.

Good luck Ali

Guest xxsweetpeaxx

Hi,

This is just a similar sort of question really,

How do they feel if someone has been dating a couple of years, but not living together because the original plan was to marry first?

Just wondering ?!

Pea,x

Guest alecsonya

Is it really necessary to have an agency to help you migrate or can i do it myslef as they seem to be really expensive? :?

If your application is straight forward - do it yourself. If there are things your not sure of, why not ask Phil Olsens advise first, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. I've heard such mixed things about agents.

Ali

I don't think anyone can really answer that question for you, I'm afraid - it depends on how you feel about completing forms and dealing with a Government department.

It's like completing a Tax Return - you can do it yourself if you are happy to research what's needed and can put the right answers in the right boxes. Nevertheless, many choose to use an advisor for peace of mind, and to give them comfort they have completed the form correctly.

Best regards.

Is it really necessary to have an agency to help you migrate or can i do it myslef as they seem to be really expensive? :?

Guest Gollywobbler

I agree with Alan. Some people lose the plot when they see how much bureaucratic form-filling etc these visas involve, and want someone else to take the strain for them. Others, like me, would prefer to be in control of the process myself.

The thing with an Agent is do NOT go to just anybody and don't go on price alone either. Talk with several before making any decisions, and choose the one you feel the most comfortable with. That is very important, I think. Make sure that the agent is registered with the MARA, which you can check via this link: http://www.themara.com.au/Online/default.asp

Click on the register of agents and you can do a free search.

Why not start wading through the details yourself, with the help of the DIMA website and the forum, and see how you feel as you delve into it all? You ca always bale out and get an agent if it starts to swamp you.

Good luck, lovey. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cheers

Gill

The other thing to be aware of is that the first two digits of the MARA Registration number indicate the year in which the agent was first registered ... not that being registered for 12 years is any guarantee that the agent knows more than an agent who has been registered for 12 months, and some come to be MARA registered after many years of experience within the Department of Immigration.

Its can nevertheless be useful to know this.

Best regards.

Guest jeffandmichelle

we started off the process in a de facto but found it easier to get married.

stag night tonite married on tuesday, 10 years and 4 kids later honeymoon in Oz next year

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Alecsonta

I have been watching this thread

There are answers to your question on agents on a number of levels and i outline the following for the benefit of the community

The decision to go

When the decision to migrate is made it can be confusing to decide on what type of visa is appropriate and best. That can be straight forward or a professional may be consulted (online or by email or in person).

Do I use an agent

The posts on here are all very valid and what would be expected.

However, different people engage agents for different reasons, perhaps:

- they haven't got the time;

- their visa may not be straight forward;

- they really don't know what to do, how to assemble an application and need guidance through the process;

- they just want someone else to assist so it becomes less stressful

Agents are professionals and have to pass exams, which have become far more stringent recently and are tightening even more. So anyone who is registered should have the requisite technical skills to get you through the 'form filling bit'.

Which agent do I chose

An agent is a professional and it is like choosing your accountant, doctor, lawyer etc.

The posts here suggest MARA site and looking at numbers etc, which are all valid but are the 'hygiene factors' which means that the agent are capable of doing the job by qualification. As in all professions there are good and not so good service providers. It rally doesn't matter what number or label they have, you need to know that they can do the job!.

Also, in addition to teh technical skills, it is my experience that people engage professionals for that little bit extra like responsiveness and availaility to talk through the issues for example (there are more which depends on the person and the each case);

So what i suggest to people in the Pomsinoz community is to:

- find and agent by referral (someone has at least had direct contact with the agent);

- find out which agent specifically will be dealing with your case and speak with them - can you work with that person, what is their iniitial responsiveness etc.

A good agent is more than a mere form filler. The process can be very stressful for some people and having someone there to speak through the issues with and ask questions can be invaluable at times.

So, in summary, if people are not confident in going it alone and feel the need for a professional, I suggest the basis above.

If people are confident, then they should do it themselves and save teh money.

With kind regards

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Phil & Alan

Just a query. Does it often happen that people start an application by themselves, get into a tangle with it and then fire an Agent to sort it out and get the whole thing properly on track for them?

I just wondered.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Gill

It is my experience that some people do lose confidence (rether than teh ability) and sometimes get into a tangle, particularly if the visa seems straightforward at the outset and then when they get into the detail like stat decs etc, they get confused by terminology etc.

Sometimes, its like being an interpreter for a different language and when they understand that they are off and runnning again.

i tend to get more calls than anything from people here who have got their knickers in a twist and often go away happy after a chat and being set on their way down the road again. Some people have just had enough and want someone to take the burden off them (minority I would say).

Depends really on the type of visa and the case facts.

With skilled for example, once people are through the skills assessment, then the form filling can be relatively straightforward.

On the whole, once people decide to undertake the process, I find that they find a way through. Although we do not know what we do not know and who knows who gets knocked back eh!.

One of the areas I have noticed over here is that the business visa applicants tend to leave their obligations sometimes and then try to be bailed out, often too late.

my message - if in doubt ask a professional

Phil

Hi Gill.

I'm assuming you meant to use the word "hire" rather than "fire"!

In answer to your question: yes, it does happen, though it seems that the decision to appoint an agent (or not) tends to take place at the early stages of the application.

This said, we occasionally take enquiries from individuals who have already lodged applications and who are looking for assistance when (say) a case officer asks some questions that don't look to be particularly easy to answer - I can't say with certainty but most who know they will have a few issues with their application (eg children living with a former spouse/partner, medical concerns, an employment history that doesn't immediately appear to meet the requirements of the planned visa subclass, etc) would - and probably should - be speaking with an agent early in the process.

Best regards.

Archived