UK tax and non-residence, help!!

paisleylass

I'm using TaxCalc to do our UK tax returns, and have changed residence status to non-resident, claiming allowance on some other basis (UK citizen). Before I did this the summary showed allowance of £9,440. Now it's £0, which I wasn't expecting! Have I done something wrong? I though UK citizens get the allowance fir the time being, even if non resident and non domiciled!

stupid thing is due to be submitted within two days :(

UK taxpayers have a different CGT allowance alongside the personal allowance (PA) so your PA will not be deductible against any Capital Gain. I don't know if non residents qualify for the tax free disposal element. In fact this has got me thinking as I have some shares and will need to see whether I should dispose of them before going or not.

As a non resident you are not subject to UK CGT (though I understand this is under review). However you may need to declare the gain to the ATO and pay Tax on the gain in Australia. Worth looking into the implications and methods of calculating the gain so that you are fully prepared for it when you do sell. If you are renting in Australia the UK house is the only one you own so may possibly be exempt.

Sorry for drifting off the original question.