Are you moving to Australia in 2015?

Guest The Pom Queen

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe we were driving to heathrow a week ago. Seems like a lifetime ago... have been in our holiday let a week, but been accepted for a long term rental today, to move into in 2 weeks time, bought a car, got the schools sorted. Shopped at Coles, Woollies and Aldi, got phones setup.. And i've been in the office for 2 days so far and seems like i've been here for ages already..

biggest issue was getting from the airport. Had an SUV hired, but underestimated how much space 5 large suitcases, 4 sets of hand luggage, 2 kids and a wife take up!!!!!!!!!!. got it all in, but a bit stressy after a 24hour flight!!

In melbourne.

Hasnt been too bad, i think we looked at 4 on saturday, and applied for 2 of them, got 1 accepted.. heard nothing from the other. Might be pot luck. It was a bit surreal with the open house 10 minute slots. Had a mob of people coming to view and all look around together. it was a bit hard to take a long time and muse on if it was the 'one' or not. i guess its not as much of a big deal as it would be for buying, but it is a bit disconcerting. We uploaded all our application details onto a 1form account. https://1form.com which made it a lot 'easier' to apply rather than writing out multiple applications, i could just open the house on realestate.com.au app on my phone and click on apply online, submit and your done. You can also pre apply, but they wont look at it until you've made a physical inspection, but once you have you can click the button and your away. Unless of course its through 1 of the agents that doesnt accept it, but in our limited experience this was the exception.

Edited by kevsan

Hard to believe we were driving to heathrow a week ago. Seems like a lifetime ago... have been in our holiday let a week, but been accepted for a long term rental today, to move into in 2 weeks time, bought a car, got the schools sorted. Shopped at Coles, Woollies and Aldi, got phones setup.. And i've been in the office for 2 days so far and seems like i've been here for ages already..

biggest issue was getting from the airport. Had an SUV hired, but underestimated how much space 5 large suitcases, 4 sets of hand luggage, 2 kids and a wife take up!!!!!!!!!!. got it all in, but a bit stressy after a 24hour flight!!

Welcome to Melbourne [emoji16] we arrived from Scotland 10 months ago [emoji106]?

Grrr.... our dogs were supposed to be flying out to Sydney today with myself following tomorrow. We got news just over a week ago that one of the dogs had tested positive for leishmaniasis and that prevents her from entering Australia. Our shipping agent claims that it is probably a false positives and our vet assured us that she's not showing any signs of the disease. So another sample was sent to Singapore for testing last week and we're hoping to hear (good) news late this week or next Monday.

All being well, the dogs will then leave the following day and I'm now rebooked to depart Hong Kong on 28th September. I really can't bear to contemplate another positive result.

Fingers crossed!

I'm Paul and single, though I do have a son who intends in the uk.Im an Australian from birth even though ive been in the uk most of my life, and have now decided to bite the bullet and come back home and looking for maintenance type of role, whether it be on a caravan site or as a school maintenance officer, if all else fails then will go it alone and set up my original dream as a handyman and become self employed.

Hoping to move and rent in the Brisbane area.

Will keep you all posted.

Names Kerry, moving back over. Originally from the UK but lived in the US many years, got our 189 visa and moved to west coast south of Perth. Wife could not handle the distance so we moved back to the US temporarily. I am heading back to the east coast now single :0(, looked at it this way no real strong family ties in the US now , been out of the UK to long and Loved Oz and all that with goes with it .. scary YES, mid 40’s and don’t know a sole on the east coast or really a place of destination, Brisbane comes to mind but still wide open.. will be there before xmas. looking at starting up a little Handyman business or a small auto-repair shop all depending on where I land and the need around, imported Caravans from the UK when I was on the west coast

Matt & my Partner Noorie. 23 an 25. Moving to Sydney, most probably Coogee Bay area or around there in October. We can't wait!! My Dad has lived in Sydney for 5 years. Not sure what we will do for work yet but I'd like to get into building work or something and Noorie would like to work with animals.

Hello Paul

Can't help with the caravan site/school maintenance stuff, but husband has been a self-employed handyman for the past 5 years and loves it. In Queensland you can charge a maximum of $3,300 (including 10% GST) per job. You can't do new installation electrical or plumbing work (need to be a licensed electrician/plumber), but you can change light bulbs, toilet seals, etc. I do his accounts.

You need an ABN (Australian Business Number - available on line) and public liability insurance of at least $5m. We did a free listing on True Local (online listing of various trades/services, owned by Quest Newspapers) and letter box dropped A5 flyers in the local area. Plus it was word of mouth.

You don't have to register for GST immediately. You do have to be registered for (& charge) GST once your total invoicing (parts & labour) gets to $75,000.

If you have any further questions, please pm me.

Natalie and Greig. Greig has just returned from Melbourne after passing his ocanz exams. I work as a mental health nurse in Scotland. Started to fill in my forms which are a bit confusing. We shall be going on a sponsored visa through specsavers. We are unsure where to go and are currently in a bit of a dilemma. I would love to work in forensic unit most my experices lies there. Also want to be close to the city and have facilities near us to help us us settle in. Don't want to commute far for work. Feel at moment is information is overloading at moment. We hope to be out by Jan/feb 2016

Hi Paul and Mags, considering moving to Sydney Jan 2016. My wife is a MH nurse and I am a transport manager, we are in our late 40's and realise this is a risky move as we are no spring chickens! My wife worked for Qld Health a number of years ago and has been keen to move back to Oz. We have been offered a 457 visa, however have concerns regarding renting at our age, we would be keen to buy property, eventually. We would love to hear if anyone has moved to Oz at our age and also if anyone has info on pensions, thanks in advance.

This sounds great, just the type info I have been looking for ..I have always been self employed, even when I had a contract which basically held to me to a company full time. when I was on the west coast I had a repair contract for homes that children who wards of the state where placed and shipped in the odd Caravan from the UK and then got them certified and road legal, .. lets see what the east coast has to offer, hopefully will landing soon then looking for wheels immediately Kia Pregio comes to mind

thanks again K.

Hello Paul

Can't help with the caravan site/school maintenance stuff, but husband has been a self-employed handyman for the past 5 years and loves it. In Queensland you can charge a maximum of $3,300 (including 10% GST) per job. You can't do new installation electrical or plumbing work (need to be a licensed electrician/plumber), but you can change light bulbs, toilet seals, etc. I do his accounts.

You need an ABN (Australian Business Number - available on line) and public liability insurance of at least $5m. We did a free listing on True Local (online listing of various trades/services, owned by Quest Newspapers) and letter box dropped A5 flyers in the local area. Plus it was word of mouth.

You don't have to register for GST immediately. You do have to be registered for (& charge) GST once your total invoicing (parts & labour) gets to $75,000.

If you have any further questions, please pm me.

Hello Kerry

See my reply to Paul re handyman business. If you have other questions, please ask. Bob can help on the repair shop side, as he was a panel beater for quite a number of years.

Thanks Pat have some questions will PM u over the weekend as the move is getting nearer

K.

• 2 months later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Well I guess there won't be many more heading down this way for 2015. Maybe we need to start a thread for those who arrived in 2015 lol