Are you moving to Australia in 2015?

Guest The Pom Queen

good luck LisaJ, if you don't try it you will never know! I worry about the big move and missing family and friends but I'd rather try and come back than never know and regret never doing it! Hope it all goes well xx

I know how you feel. We are moving to Gold Coast from Glasgow - in fact my husband flys out on Thursday and me and the dog join him in april. It's something we are so excited about but just now the reality is sinking in of not seeing friends, family etc. Am nervous but excited. Hope to get a job, make friends and live the good life in the sun, but know the first year likely to be hard? Good luck everyone and if anyone moving to Gold Coast get in touch! I'm forty two, husband 44 and dog is 10!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more concerned that my dogs will be taken care of when they go. Thinking Pet Air for them.

Hi Melanie - we are flying our Patterdale terrier (highly strung nervous wreck of a dog) out with Petair in April. They seem pretty good. I am worried how he'll cope with it all but hoping when he sees us again he'll get over the trauma! we are also flying him from Sydney to Brisbane as it's too long a drive to Gold Coast. It is an extra £293 but think its worth it & it's only an hour flight.

If you want any info re the process just ask.

X

I have applied for a spouse visa, the process takes between 10-14 months. My partner is Australian and our son has dual nationality. Got our case officer a week after my application was accepted. My emmigration agent says all is going well, the bureau are happy with our relationship evidence, my medicals are the next step in 6 weeks time, by which time I will be 6 months into the time frame! [emoji2]

I'm enjoying reading abouts other people's experiences!

It seems to depend on individual circumstances how long it all seems to take. Great news you have an Aussie fella, you will have his family for support which will help. We are going to book our medicals once we are assigned a case officer. It's blowing a hoolie outside here in Hilly Northumberland, definitely a time to dream about sunshine and beaches if ever there was one ;)

My name is Donna I am new to the group (thanx for the add). I want to make the move to Australia but my husband very unsure. If he could secure a job first he would be more inclined but most jobs I've looked at for him require the right to work in Australia! I have had a quote off a MA and it's more expensive than I thought. I also have a large dog to take which is also very expensive! Was wondering if it's possible to make the move without the help of a MA or is it well worth paying the fees?

My name is Donna I am new to the group (thanx for the add). I want to make the move to Australia but my husband very unsure. If he could secure a job first he would be more inclined but most jobs I've looked at for him require the right to work in Australia! I have had a quote off a MA and it's more expensive than I thought. I also have a large dog to take which is also very expensive! Was wondering if it's possible to make the move without the help of a MA or is it well worth paying the fees?

Hi Donna,

I am using an agent, out of curiosity, who have you had quotes from? Tbh, we decided to use an agent as we have a young child, I had just started a new job that I needed to focus on and I was worried about getting it wrong and delaying things even longer. So to me the fees were/are worth the money. Depends on your quote, I spotted around and found an agent almost £500 cheaper than the rest with a very good reputation. Xx

Edited by Jaclyn Hayes
Spelling error

Hi Donna,

I am using an agent, out of curiosity, who have you had quotes from? Tbh, we decided to use an agent as we have a young child, I had just started a new job that I needed to focus on and I was worried about getting it wrong and delaying things even longer. So to me the fees were/are worth the money. Depends on your quote, I spotted around and found an agent almost £500 cheaper than the rest with a very good reputation. Xx

Migrate abroad!

I know how you feel. We are moving to Gold Coast from Glasgow - in fact my husband flys out on Thursday and me and the dog join him in april. It's something we are so excited about but just now the reality is sinking in of not seeing friends, family etc. Am nervous but excited. Hope to get a job, make friends and live the good life in the sun, but know the first year likely to be hard? Good luck everyone and if anyone moving to Gold Coast get in touch! I'm forty two, husband 44 and dog is 10!

Who are you using for exporting your dog? I have a large dog and the quotes are really expensive!! Thanx Donna.

We are hoping to move to Adelaide later this year, applying for a 189 visa, my husband has done his IELT's, TRA forms all sent off (just) so its just time waiting for that and then the actual visa application. He is hoping to move September time, but I think that is pushing it a bit. We still have to sell our house, which we don't want to do until at least we have TRA approved, in case it sells quickly. I imagine it will be at least 6 moths until we have visas approved (as well as the time for TRA) which takes us to August at the earliest, then have to book flights etc. Any advise from those in the process will be great please :-)

We applied yesterday. We (the royal we that is) have done it all ourselves. It's fiddly and time consuming but definitely doable. I couldn't bring myself to use so much of our hard saved cash to pay someone else to do what I could do myself. Obviously I don't know if we have been successful yet though lol! Fingers and toes crossed! The information is all out there and this forum has been invaluable.

Best of luck

Becky

Julie and hubby Scott. 3 Children aged 11,9 and 4 heading to QLD preferably else WA as a 2nd option.

Moving in September 2015. I am a MH Nurse my hubby works within the local university academic services.

Hi Julie, I was wondering if you have lined up any MH nursing work in QLD? I am an LD Nurse so may have to try for MH jobs instead if they'll have me as no LD nursing posts over there! We have 3 children too so I think our initial plan is for me to get the kids settled then after a year or so begin to look for work. Its really interesting reading everybodys plans. x

Hi, Donna and Adam (30) with our 2 kids age 6, 10. We received our visa last week and an offer has been accepted on our house so I'm hoping we could be moving in the next 2-3 months, needless to say that I am very excited at the moment. This move is something we have been talking about for almost 2 years so far!

We are hoping to travel around a bit first starting around Sydney and heading north along the coast. This way we can get a better idea of what Australia is like before we settle in one area. My brother and wife to be have just moved from Tamworth NSW to Bellina so it will be nice to see them after so long too.

Currently living in Stoke-on-Trent, I'm a teaching assistant and Adam is an emission engineer. We have both come to realise that we may have to look for other careers as my job doesn't seem to exist and Adam's would require him to work away for 2 weeks at a time!

So that's us! Hi and good luck to everyone else

We have a dog 7yr old collie but have made the heartbreaking decision to leave him behind (well we haven't even booked flights yet so nothing set in stone).

We are very lucky to have fantastic neighbours who have children similar ages and agreed to have him, I know he will be looked after well.

We did look into taking him and I agree that company seem really good. Goodluck

Hi Julie, I was wondering if you have lined up any MH nursing work in QLD? I am an LD Nurse so may have to try for MH jobs instead if they'll have me as no LD nursing posts over there! We have 3 children too so I think our initial plan is for me to get the kids settled then after a year or so begin to look for work. Its really interesting reading everybodys plans. x

I haven't secured anything as of yet. I kept getting responses such as "contact us when you have AHPRA". Now I have AHPRA I am getting told "contact us just before you arrive" etc. It's so frustrating. I want to secure a short term let in the area we will be living permanently but I cant until I know I have work. Do they not realise we are taking a huge leap of faith and investing everything into the move??? I really hope you can sell your LD skills to get a MH post, I do always feel it is an area that is weak in MH nursing and LD nurses are valuable on the shop floor. We have LD and MH nurses at my current hospital doing the same role.

Me, wife and 11 year old daughter moving to Redlands Bay, QLD in July. 2 years in the planning. We are in our 50s so will take any work we can find once we have settled in. Really hoping for a good exchange rate so we can largely live off savings until we can draw our pensions - but some work will be needed no doubt.

Ha ha, i know exactly what you mean we are also in our 50's and really will take any work too, we are going on a Parent visa...wow expensive which visa are you going on? scrap that re read your post...sorry lol

we are going, all being well, end of the year for a few months to sus it out , in the Brisbane area.

thanks

Tabitha

Edited by tabitha10

I haven't secured anything as of yet. I kept getting responses such as "contact us when you have AHPRA". Now I have AHPRA I am getting told "contact us just before you arrive" etc. It's so frustrating. I want to secure a short term let in the area we will be living permanently but I cant until I know I have work. Do they not realise we are taking a huge leap of faith and investing everything into the move??? I really hope you can sell your LD skills to get a MH post, I do always feel it is an area that is weak in MH nursing and LD nurses are valuable on the shop floor. We have LD and MH nurses at my current hospital doing the same role.

Hi. That is interesting to hear you can register with Ahpra before arriving in Oz. I wasn't sure if you could do that. My friend, who is also an LD nurse has had problems registering with them once she arrived and it's been 9 months and she still isn't registered! She rented a holiday apartment for 10 days upon arriving, then found a rental in an area they liked then found work. It's definitely tricky getting things done in the right order! Good luck. Keep us posted how you go x

Hi. That is interesting to hear you can register with Ahpra before arriving in Oz. I wasn't sure if you could do that. My friend, who is also an LD nurse has had problems registering with them once she arrived and it's been 9 months and she still isn't registered! She rented a holiday apartment for 10 days upon arriving, then found a rental in an area they liked then found work. It's definitely tricky getting things done in the right order! Good luck. Keep us posted how you go x

Registration with AHPRA is a long process, took about 5 months altogether when I did mine back in 2010. Had to do the IELTS too, which was harder than I thought!