Are you moving to Australia in 2015?

Guest The Pom Queen

Myself (43, creative/motion graphics designer) and my wife Nic (39, District Nurse/Team leader) and 2 daughters 11 & 9, son 5, and dog Lola are moving on 2nd July to Sydney from North Wales. It's been an idea that's been doing the rounds for about 15 years. We spent some months backpacking around the millennium. I also went on tour there for work a few times in my old job as a DJ/professional hedonist, and did a internship in Sydney when I trained as a designer.

Currently arranging shipping and getting our house ready to rent out. Looking for potential jobs. We have a few suburbs/schools on shortlists - so will get all that in place in due course.

5 months to go... still quite a bit to do. Found out a lot of what i needed from PIO, but also know a lot of people in my line of work who moved out there, and got a lot of advice off them too.

Where abouts in north wales are you guys? We are in Talysarn, other side of Caernarfon.

Becky

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi myself Andrea, husband Brian and Daughtes Jasmine 14, Gracie 12, Olivia 3 and son Archie 2 are wIting for our visa 188 to be issued and will hopefully be moving to Adelaide as soon as possible to start a new life and business. we all ready have family out there but are very keen to make friends and really make the most of this new exciting new life.

Debated posting in here a few times because there are a fair few variables in my plans ha :P If all goes to plan though, I'll be looking to move over at the end of 2015. Hoping to move to Melbourne and I'd be making the move on my own.

Good of luck to everyone else and I hope all of your plans go smoothly :) I'll try to keep this thread updated with my progress, but for now it's just a whole lot of waiting!

Hey.

Vonny and Andrew here. Us and our two daughters (4 and 1) will be heading to a Brisbane suburb (unless a job requires elsewhere) Aug/ Sept 2015. Andrew is an engineer and Vonny is a primary school teacher. No family out in Australia so taking a leap of faith... Lots of planning & arranging yet to do and both the excitement & anxiety increases week by week!

Would love to hear from anyone similar to us moving this year with who we can compare progress, to do lists, feelings and anticipation!

Best of luck to all emigrating this year! Much love Xx

Do you have any idea where you will be living in Brisbane? Do you have jobs lined up?

The federal government will soon announce changes in child care policy, which might be of interest to you.

Yep! Moving on 4th May with my husband (Aussie husband) and baby son, so excited! Entering initially on the long stay tourist visa and will hop over to NZ when my partner visa is finally issued.

Planning on living in the Hills district or somewhere out west due to affordability and space. Staying with family until shipping arrives and husbands job is secure.

Very excited but nervous of areas to live.

Hoping to move in late 2015 early 2016. Made the big move in 2012 however got desperately homesick so came back. Realise now should be in oz. Have PR visa granted dec 2011. Have three kids 14, 7 and 2. Went to Adelaide last time trying to decide where to go this time. Carpenter and accountant any ideas where the jobs are?

Hoping to move in late 2015 early 2016. Made the big move in 2012 however got desperately homesick so came back. Realise now should be in oz. Have PR visa granted dec 2011. Have three kids 14, 7 and 2. Went to Adelaide last time trying to decide where to go this time. Carpenter and accountant any ideas where the jobs are?

recommend Sydney for opportunities and salary- particularly for accountants. Sydney housing is expensive though, which is a draw back.

I lived in Sydney for 2.5 years and returned to the UK due to homesickness but I also quickly realised that Sydney had become my new home without my even realising.

Cant wait to get back!

Hi my husband and I are thinking of moving to Australia however this won't be until 2016 as my husband is finishing his degree in Social Work in about 18 months. I am a sports coach in many primary schools within my area. We are just doing a lot of research at the moment and we have decided that this would be the best option for us. We don't have any property here in the UK and no children just savings and we would love to start are life together down under. We don't have anything to lose. However, a few people do say that you need 1 years experience is this right? My husband has done work experience within his degree so would this count?

We are hoping to get the skilled migration visa as I think this would be the best option. We have been looking at different areas to live and we liked Brisbane or Adelaide but we still need to do more research on this.

We still have a lot more questions but I hope someone can help in the meantime.

Thank You

Kate & Will

Agree that Sydney is best for opportunities and has overtaken Melbourne in relation to banking etc. Also for lifestyle, with the city so close to so many beaches. However, house prices are among the least affordable in the world (in relation to wages.) Melbourne is supposed to be the world's most liveable city, and house prices are a bit cheaper than Sydney. South Australia is a state in decline, and its capital is quite isolated. Its economy was based essentially on highly protected manufacturing and those days are nearly over. It, like Tasmania, is subsidized by the rest of Australia via the distribution of the General Services Tax. Western Australia, with mining income declining sharply, is complaining loudly about this ünfairness. (Very interesting, given the Australian Labor Party's opposition to the nuclear industry, that the SA Labor Premier is setting up a Royal Commission into nuclear power. A sign of the times, I think.) Brisbane house prices are quite a bit lower, and the city is touting itself as Australia's "new international city". However, the Queensland economy is quite narrowly based - mainly fossil fuels and tourism.

I have friends and relatives in each capital city, and it's often a subject of debate as to which is "best". A hard decision if you don't know anyone. If I were in your position, I would be looking at the economic prospects and therefore opportunities in each city of interest.

Yes, Kev, Tina and 2 kids coming out from Rugby to Melbourne to validate our 190 Visa at Easter. Looking to swing an internal transfer with my company or line up some interviews, then coming out between then and August depending on how the job resolves itself

[sydney] house prices are among the least affordable in the world (in relation to wages.) Melbourne is supposed to be the world's most liveable city

Bearing in mind of course, that most city world-ranking lists need to be taken with a very large grain of salt, if not a bucket-load. (The Mercer ones for expats seem to be reasonable, while the Lonely Planet ones are a complete joke.)

Also city-wide averages are a very crude measure which ignore the differences between haves and have-nots.

Fortunately it's easy enough to research house/unit prices for what you're looking for online, relative to your own aspirations and salary.

btw I'm not saying Sydney is not eye-wateringly pricey... I just forked out £720 to rent a "cottage" there for a week via airbnb, at very short notice, and couldn't find any decent-looking hotel rooms online for under $200/night. :P

Flying to Sydney today :-)

Working in Higher Education at a design college there. 457 visa was granted last week.

Current status:

• trying to arrange viewings for rental places for when I arrive
  • bank account is open and have appointment to get cards on Friday
  • excess baggage is on its way (hopefully)
  • GBP are on their way to becoming AUD in the bank account on Thursday (hopefully)

...all using services and websites recommended on POI, so many thanks for that everyone. This is a great resource!

Jackie, Rich and baby Blake... Early days yet, via application submitted in Oct 2014 for myself (Rich and Blake have dual nationality). Looking at Cleveland/Redland Bay area of QLD. I'm a registered nurse, Rich is in procurement.

Any info /useful websites people can suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Vonny and Andrew. We are hoping to move to QLD too timescale to be decided. We are just waiting for a case officer, medicals and police checks. If we get them sorted we won't be long heading over. We don't have any family there either so it's pretty nerve wracking! And so many places to choose from. We are avid watchers of wanted down under at the mo...lol!

Hi, we are he France family. Hubby is a plumber, I was airline cabin crew up until last month & we have 2 kids. Rosie 8 & Jake 7. We are moving to Albury Nsw

we are due to complete on our house on 28 feb so will be flying out to Family 1st in Sydney, for a few weeks then driving down.

cant wait now, just not looking forward to the goodbyes :(

Jackie, Rich and baby Blake... Early days yet, via application submitted in Oct 2014 for myself (Rich and Blake have dual nationality). Looking at Cleveland/Redland Bay area of QLD. I'm a registered nurse, Rich is in procurement.

Any info /useful websites people can suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone!

Best of luck with it all. That is where we are headed too this July. PIO is a mine of information. I have hardly asked a single question as it is all on here.