You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Aussie paramedics "fleeing" to UK for less hours-more money

[h=1]175 paramedics flee Australia's short-staffed ambulance ranks to take up jobs in the UK... where they work less and earn up to earn 60 per cent more[/h]

• London Ambulance Service has 175 Australians starting work this month

• Six of England's ten ambulance trusts plan to recruit staff from abroad

• But the industry in Australia is crying out for more workers and funding

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2927737/175-paramedics-flee-Australia-s-short-staffed-ambulance-ranks-jobs-U-K-work-earn-earn-60-cent-more.html

• Like 1

Guest Chewitts

Those pay rates quoted for the uk are for mid band 6 to top band 7.......graduate paramedics start on approx 25,000gbp, VERY few paramedics will ever get as far as

Mind you the article is from the daily mail.....so it must:SLEEP: be true

Yeah and teachers as well.i watched it about teachers on sky news uk who were austrailian. They loved living and working in the uk. But one female teacher broke down because her two years was up and will have to leave. What is wrong with these governments. Keep the bad and kick out the good.:wacko:

Is there a shortage of paramedics though because they are all fleeing the UK or just because people are choosing not to enter that field of work?I'm sure aussies though have weighed up all the pro's and cons,living expenses and so on. I would of thought,having that experience of living and working in the UK would be nothing short of wonderful.They can always go home if it doesn't meet their expectations.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

Odd that as plenty of paramedics come this way to from the UK. I work for two, they hire me to walk the dog, they have a cleaner and a gardener and a gorgeous house. They certainly don't seem to be struggling.

I suspect that most are looking to gain work and life experiences in London with little intention of permanent settling in the UK. Note they are being recruited because the UK has a shortage of staff. Recruiting workers from Oz would be very expensive for the NHS and demonstrates desperate measures to plug the gaps.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Met plenty of aussies who just love the UK and the buzz of life in the UK, many said they would never return to Oz if possible as it is so boring compared to the UK.....

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

It's London though isn't it. What does it cost to rent a decent flat there?

I looked into it last year. If your renting your own flat then yeah it's super expensive but if your doing a flat share then it's not as bad. Some of them were roughly the same as Edinburgh although I might have been looking at crappy areas.

Sorry, but it looks to me like Oz paramedic salaries are significantly higher in oz.

http://www.stjohnchangelives.com.au/student-ambulance-officers.html

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/paramedic_salary.htm

Surely not cos its in the daily mail

....I Actually Live In Australia....And I'm Enjoying Life On The Gold Coast....It Is Possible You Know....

Sorry, but it looks to me like Oz paramedic salaries are significantly higher in oz.

http://www.stjohnchangelives.com.au/student-ambulance-officers.html

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/paramedic_salary.htm

But when you realise that the cost of living is horrendously high in Oz it still looks a better deal for them in the UK.

Well if the NHS (or whoever) has money to burn and can afford to pay them up to 60% more than they earn in Aust - good luck to them. Although based on the pay scales VS posted I assume they have been offered 'special' rates so I wonder how the locals feel about that.

The UK came over last year to do a recruitment drive to help with the staff shortage back there, it would be a good deal for any pommy ambulance staff looking to return to the UK and there are a lot of pommy ambulance staff over here.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I feel so sorry for any healthcare worker leaving Australia for the NHS...talk about out of the frying pan...they'll soon be back....

I always thought It was hard to get a job as a paramedic, I didn't think there were many jobs. Obviously must be wrong. I keep seeing adverts on indeed.com looking for nurses from Europe too

I always thought It was hard to get a job as a paramedic, I didn't think there were many jobs. Obviously must be wrong. I keep seeing adverts on indeed.com looking for nurses from Europe too

I work for a Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences in an Australian University and our Paramedic graduates have a hard time finding work. In fact we have raised the entrance score to reduce the number of applicants as the field is oversubscribed in South Australia. So if new graduates are looking to the UK for work it wouldn't surprise me.

Indeed is one big scam just like seek. com and the rest. alot are just agencies funded by the local goverment advertising jobs which are non exsistent.its about numbers on their books the more the better.jobcentres here are not like the uk.

Well if the NHS (or whoever) has money to burn and can afford to pay them up to 60% more than they earn in Aust - good luck to them. Although based on the pay scales VS posted I assume they have been offered 'special' rates so I wonder how the locals feel about that.

The NHS is screwed.....haven't you heard, God only knows where they are getting the money.

Well I guess that depends where in Oz you live right PB?Not everywhere is horrendously expensive,same as in the UK.I would guess some come over to the UK more for the experience than anything else.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

The NHS is screwed.....haven't you heard, God only knows where they are getting the money.

No it is not screwed it was voted last year by an independent american study as the best in the world, they get the money from national insurance payments...haven't you heard..

This is all getting out of hand. Deletions coming up with infractions to follow if there is any more childish behaviour.

We were joking??!!:wubclub:

ozmaniac obviously does not know us pair....:cute:

Yeah and teachers as well.i watched it about teachers on sky news uk who were austrailian. They loved living and working in the uk. But one female teacher broke down because her two years was up and will have to leave. What is wrong with these governments. Keep the bad and kick out the good.:wacko:

I'm sure some young teachers come over for a couple of years to experience London lifestyle. But the pay here is shocking compared to Aus. I know this as my husband was paid as an unqualified teacher for the first year ( this is less than an NQT!). Despite being an experienced teacher in Aus his qualification wasn't automatically recognised and it took a couple of years to get on the lowest rung of the main pay scale. And the work load here is ridiculous. As a deputy he was going to bed at midnight and getting up at 4am just to get enough work done to tread water! So quality of life is pretty crap for crap pay here. No wonder he hates it here!

Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!