Moved back to UK and now think we want to come back?!

Exozpom

We were in oz for 5.5 years and had our 2 kids there... Got an immense amount of pressure to come home to UK so we did in May....I am sooo desperate to go back..help!! I know it's not been long, just 9 months ish but just can't get the lifestyle out of my head...it's great to see the kids with family..but that's it...can't help but feel we made a huge mistake... Anyone else been in this position. ? :nah:

I don't think a move in either direction ever works if you feel pressured to do it TBH, there will always be residual resentment so if you all think you want to move on then move on - never think of it as going back (in either direction!) because you can never go back to what you had. If only one of you wants to move and the other adult is perfectly happy where they are then you've got problems! Serial ping ponging is nothing unusual, I know a few who've done it 3 or 4 times.

I don't think a move in either direction ever works if you feel pressured to do it TBH, there will always be residual resentment so if you all think you want to move on then move on - never think of it as going back (in either direction!) because you can never go back to what you had. If only one of you wants to move and the other adult is perfectly happy where they are then you've got problems! Serial ping ponging is nothing unusual, I know a few who've done it 3 or 4 times.

That is a great statement. I always believe in looking forward, not back.

If you didn't really want to go back but were pressured into doing so I'm not surprised you're wanting to ping pong. No law against it & seems to happen quite a lot. I'd be really interested in your reasons for going back to the UK in the first place and why you want to return - is it the weather, jobs, something not quite right with UK? I find lifestyle better in UK due to having friends and family about, but can understand how one would miss the sunshine in the depths of winter. Also you are at the worst time of year weather wise in UK - a couple of months and spring will be there with all the excitement that brings.

• 1 month later...
We were in oz for 5.5 years and had our 2 kids there... Got an immense amount of pressure to come home to UK so we did in May....I am sooo desperate to go back..help!! I know it's not been long, just 9 months ish but just can't get the lifestyle out of my head...it's great to see the kids with family..but that's it...can't help but feel we made a huge mistake... Anyone else been in this position. ? :nah:

Hello we are the same my husband, I and 2 children moved to oz beginning of 2013 and 16 months later we back in UK, I had my second child only 6 wks before we emegrated, had rough couple months for various reasons ended up being forced to move to another park of oz which turnt out to be s good move, but I just couldn't get over the hearts ache of feeling lonely and missing people, my hubby got offered his old job back with relocation package and we jumped at it but now............... Surprisingly despite my longing to be back here in UK I am craving to be back In oz!! Just can't shift the feeling ists driving me crazy lol. Yes I love having my family and friends bs I in my life so much but our lifestyle is shocking!! Don't like the schools etc deffo regretting coming back but at same time couldn't say yes I woukd deffo go back if given thr chance coz I know I would still have that feeling of longing for my friends/family very hard thing, hope you make a decision that suits you all and works out.

Edited by ftmummy

We have been back in Aus 3 months.We had lived here for 29 years,the exchange rate was .6845 to the pound.We thought this was our chance,to make the break.But like you i couldn't forget Aussie lifestyle.So we came back.BIG MISTAKE.We sold our house in the UK 3 weeks ater putting it on the market.Didn't think that would happen.But it didn't give me time to think.YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK,And find ANYTHING the same.Aus in definitely on the way down.Britain is on the way up.Life in Aus is going to be realy hard for the masses.Australia The Lucky Country has gone.The Treasurer

We were in Aus for 29 years,went back to the UK October 2013.Came back i November 2014.What a change in such a short time,the cost of living here in Aus is a joke.Compared to the uk.Even rates have more than doubled.The country is in crisis,it's broke,heading down the same path of Greece.Malcom Turnbul admits.Australia can't afford Pensions at the present rate.Australia pays out 2% more than what it earns.Yet this Abbott Tory government is spending billions overseas,has borrowed 60 billion sence taking office,wants to spend $20 billion on more dude submarines.Cuts and Austerity measures is the name of the game in Aus.

j

Yes, exactly that position. It doesnt help that the winters are so long and depressing, and the news is always bad to terrible. But I did read on here some time ago someone stating it takes two years to settle back in, I didn't know what they were talking about then (I was still in OZ), but I do now, or hope I do. We felt we had no choice but to return, it was a sudden decision, it feels a bit like a beravement, and the feeling has got worse, not better. I think 9 months might be a critical time, I was OK with things for a while, but of course it could be the winter blues, I had forgotten how much it affected me. But I don't think its something that can be resolved simply by ponging!

We have been back in Aus 3 months.We had lived here for 29 years,the exchange rate was .6845 to the pound.We thought this was our chance,to make the break.But like you i couldn't forget Aussie lifestyle.So we came back.BIG MISTAKE.We sold our house in the UK 3 weeks ater putting it on the market.Didn't think that would happen.But it didn't give me time to think.YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK,And find ANYTHING the same.Aus in definitely on the way down.Britain is on the way up.Life in Aus is going to be realy hard for the masses.Australia The Lucky Country has gone.The Treasurer

We were in Aus for 29 years,went back to the UK October 2013.Came back i November 2014.What a change in such a short time,the cost of living here in Aus is a joke.Compared to the uk.Even rates have more than doubled.The country is in crisis,it's broke,heading down the same path of Greece.Malcom Turnbul admits.Australia can't afford Pensions at the present rate.Australia pays out 2% more than what it earns.Yet this Abbott Tory government is spending billions overseas,has borrowed 60 billion sence taking office,wants to spend $20 billion on more dude submarines.Cuts and Austerity measures is the name of the game in Aus.

j

Hi just wondering what makes you say that about oz going down and uk on the up? In my opinion uk is definitely going down. Just curious what makes you say that :)

It's not cheap living in Oz as we know. But nor is it cheap living in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)

So, expensive costs of living aside, what advantages are there to living in Oz or the UK?

Everyone's different, looking for different things. What makes one person happy doesn't work for someone else

Most of the time I've lived in Australia, I've secretly dreamed of returning to the UK. That's changed now

Sure, Midsomer Murders would have non-Brits believing the UK consists of picturesque villages with village greens and ducks and well-to-do older folk and beautiful homes, etc. And of course, they usually film those shows in the British summer or spring

The fact is, though, the UK isn't like a picturesque village for most who live there. Instead, it's an overpopulated little place where the average person lives in an unattractive street in some town or city -- most of them dreaming of escaping to sunshine, space and relaxation

Location dictates lifestyle in the UK as it does in Oz and most are forced to live where they work or where there's at least the opportunity of finding a job. This results in depression (especially in UK winter with short grey days) dissatisfaction, unhappiness, bitterness. And to make it worse, houses are crammed together in the UK. It sounds like bare existence. Not much of a life

At least in Oz there's more sun than grey. There's more space and even though there are many problems in Oz, particularly with regard to employment/unemployment, it's cleaner here and a more egalitarian society/less 'class' consciousness

For the very wealthy in the UK, there's immunity from the grey misery suffered by the majority. But that's true of the wealthy everywhere, so not much point dwelling on it. It's the wealthy who enjoy the quaint, picturesque villages, not the rank and file

So, not much to attract me to the UK any longer. And the most unattractive feature of all (and one it would be almost impossible to evade) is the jealousy and bitterness that seems at epidemic levels in the UK. Talk about misery loving company. The comments in UK online news give the impression the entire of the UK is festering with envy. Even if someone's won a lottery or had a stroke of good fortune is enough to have them commenting bitterly and resentfully - as if someone else's good fortune came out of everyone else's pocket

Aussies mainly confine their competitiveness to sports. In the UK, it sounds as if many of them endlessly compete with each other -- over material goods. It's really backwards and unpleasant and benefits no-one

So, I've begun appreciating Australia, late in the day and I'd rather remember Britain as it was (or at least how I would like it to be) rather than experience the reality

Just wish I'd adopted this attitude a long time ago, instead of wasting so many years pining for a Britain that is either gone, or never actually existed

Hi just wondering what makes you say that about oz going down and uk on the up? In my opinion uk is definitely going down. Just curious what makes you say that :)

Probably meant the boom is in decline and Australia's path forward is most unclear over the coming years. Living conditions will decline but the jury is out to what extent. Costs are high will they decline to compensate for static or even declining wages? We still don't know yet what will replace the resource boom. Housing and Immigration are in the short term but even those things are in decline in the resource rich states.

No idea if UK will continue to improve. One needs to weigh up the possible advantages to each. Far from clear what the medium term will bring.

It's not cheap living in Oz as we know. But nor is it cheap living in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)

So, expensive costs of living aside, what advantages are there to living in Oz or the UK?

Everyone's different, looking for different things. What makes one person happy doesn't work for someone else

Most of the time I've lived in Australia, I've secretly dreamed of returning to the UK. That's changed now

Sure, Midsomer Murders would have non-Brits believing the UK consists of picturesque villages with village greens and ducks and well-to-do older folk and beautiful homes, etc. And of course, they usually film those shows in the British summer or spring

The fact is, though, the UK isn't like a picturesque village for most who live there. Instead, it's an overpopulated little place where the average person lives in an unattractive street in some town or city -- most of them dreaming of escaping to sunshine, space and relaxation

Location dictates lifestyle in the UK as it does in Oz and most are forced to live where they work or where there's at least the opportunity of finding a job. This results in depression (especially in UK winter with short grey days) dissatisfaction, unhappiness, bitterness. And to make it worse, houses are crammed together in the UK. It sounds like bare existence. Not much of a life

At least in Oz there's more sun than grey. There's more space and even though there are many problems in Oz, particularly with regard to employment/unemployment, it's cleaner here and a more egalitarian society/less 'class' consciousness

For the very wealthy in the UK, there's immunity from the grey misery suffered by the majority. But that's true of the wealthy everywhere, so not much point dwelling on it. It's the wealthy who enjoy the quaint, picturesque villages, not the rank and file

So, not much to attract me to the UK any longer. And the most unattractive feature of all (and one it would be almost impossible to evade) is the jealousy and bitterness that seems at epidemic levels in the UK. Talk about misery loving company. The comments in UK online news give the impression the entire of the UK is festering with envy. Even if someone's won a lottery or had a stroke of good fortune is enough to have them commenting bitterly and resentfully - as if someone else's good fortune came out of everyone else's pocket

Aussies mainly confine their competitiveness to sports. In the UK, it sounds as if many of them endlessly compete with each other -- over material goods. It's really backwards and unpleasant and benefits no-one

So, I've begun appreciating Australia, late in the day and I'd rather remember Britain as it was (or at least how I would like it to be) rather than experience the reality

Just wish I'd adopted this attitude a long time ago, instead of wasting so many years pining for a Britain that is either gone, or never actually existed

I'd say both countries are very similar these days in their consumption, materialism and competiveness. One of the things I did admire about UK going back some decades was the less concern with materialism but those days have largely passed and as such any real desire to live there. (almost)

You can't deny the sun as an advantage in Australia (most of the time) I can just as easily say of course I remember Australia when it was largely a fair and just country, although always a tad too far on the conservative side, it did provide a pretty fair go for most all in affordability and the essentials like a house came pretty easily to all those in work. there most certainly has developed an ostentatious display of wealth in recent times not so identifiable in the past.

I understand your point of view but you're portraying a pretty depressing view of the UK but as you say everybody's perception is different.

I have half my family here and half in UK. When I compare our lives the Aussie ones are no happier nor more fulfilling and if I'm honest I would say the UK ones are actually happier! I have family and friends in the UK who live in pretty little villages and ones that live in terraced houses in towns and cities. My brother lives in a small terraced house but he's not miserable nor bitter, in fact his house is gorgeous, welcoming, he has lovely neighbours, he has a good job, active social life and has no desire to come to live in Australia even after having visited it about 5 times now so knows exactly what it has to offer.

Also your comment about the UK being materialistic was interesting too as that was the first thing I noticed when I moved here 13 years ago. To me there was this Aussie obsession with owning a home with the yard, the barbie and the pool and an unattractive attitude of "I'm alright Jack". But I've been away from UK for many years now so am sure attitudes and times have changed. However maybe I'm different as my reasons for moving here weren't the same as the majority who migrate now as I was happy with my life there and was not disillusioned with the country itself, in fact my heart was in the pit of my stomach that night I left Heathrow airport.

Once you've lived in another country you then have experience of different ways of living and then just want the best of both worlds which I suppose can lead to ping ponging. I suppose the best option is to accept differences and to accept that you just can't have everything. At the end of the day the whole world is changing, each country is changing and for all of us to be happy where we are living then we need to just accept it and learn to live with it and make the best of it.

i dont regret coming back to oz i just regret not giving it a proper go the first time i came and wasting so much money. life is good and oz is wonderful.

For some yes for others no, it depends on your perceived quality of life, some prefer oz some prefer UK, that is why so many people ping pong for years and years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we returned to Aus from the Uk last November after one Year in the Uk.What i would say is don't be too hasty.We thought the same as you.But Australia is not what it was in such a short time,i myself just can't believe it,as we lived here for 29 years.How could it happen.Well the mining boom is well and truly over.The Conservative Government is lost.Abbott,Hockey and the rest of the Liberals and Nationals are going from one disaster to the next.They have stopped the boats.But thats it.The cost of living has trippled,rates and house prices have realy gone up.Meat. they must feed the animals on $100 notes.$42 for a kg of lamb chops.A box of cornflakes $7.potatoes$3,50kg We are thinking of returning to the UK.We should have given it at least 2 years.People that we knew that had returned.Said it takes at least that to get Aussie out of your system.When i was in the UK.I used to say I'll never whinge abut the heat again.Now i'm back in Aus, I say the heat is depressing, it's so humid.Even with the$ Nose diveng.We would rather take the loss than stay.I always said.Once the mining Boom goes, Australia will have the biggest crash ever.The governmet say they are paying out 2% more than the Country earns.Electric Bills are unbelievale some say they are paying $3000 a quarter.Child care has gone up to $100 per day.In the cities.And inner suburbs,But then it all comes down to what people earn.

Well we returned to Aus from the Uk last November after one Year in the Uk.What i would say is don't be too hasty.We thought the same as you.But Australia is not what it was in such a short time,i myself just can't believe it,as we lived here for 29 years.How could it happen.Well the mining boom is well and truly over.The Conservative Government is lost.Abbott,Hockey and the rest of the Liberals and Nationals are going from one disaster to the next.They have stopped the boats.But thats it.The cost of living has trippled,rates and house prices have realy gone up.Meat. they must feed the animals on $100 notes.$42 for a kg of lamb chops.A box of cornflakes $7.potatoes$3,50kg We are thinking of returning to the UK.We should have given it at least 2 years.People that we knew that had returned.Said it takes at least that to get Aussie out of your system.When i was in the UK.I used to say I'll never whinge abut the heat again.Now i'm back in Aus, I say the heat is depressing, it's so humid.Even with the$ Nose diveng.We would rather take the loss than stay.I always said.Once the mining Boom goes, Australia will have the biggest crash ever.The governmet say they are paying out 2% more than the Country earns.Electric Bills are unbelievale some say they are paying $3000 a quarter.Child care has gone up to $100 per day.In the cities.And inner suburbs,But then it all comes down to what people earn.

Lamb chops

14393_792774897467025_1274106280228331858_n.jpg?oh=18365760ba02c05fd68f4a0fd1918382&oe=557D986E

What the hell are they running? I ran two fridges, two freezers and 62 fish tanks and paid less than$1000................even now with those same two fridges and freezers and air conditioning I come out at $600 a quarter

Edited by Johndoe