Suburbs in the north of Brissie

Georgie

Hi

I wanted to find out what Caboolture,Morayfield, Berpengary, kallanger, North lakes or other suburbs in this region were like to live.

Got 2 young children and want to be able to access TAFE and industrial areas easily. Wanted to find out the reality of travel to the beach and to the city. How long does it reallly take to get from Caboolture to city. Or Caboolture to beach. Wanted a good shopping centre so whats the time from Caboolture to North lakes?

Are these areas attractive to live and is there much going on?

Any info on any area in the reion would be great. I have done a little research but want people who live there to give me the lowdown.

Thankyou folks

HI

we were looking at north lakes as it looked and sounded beautiful, however after looking at the north lakes web site they seem to have a lot of trouble with violence from teens and cars speeding through the estate, there was also a very violent attack on a resident in September Probably an isolated incident but seemed too much like the uk for me, have heard carboolture has a bad reputation (from an aussie), liked the sound of Redcliffe but dont know enough about the area. Best place we have been to is the Sunshine Coast.

Hi Sharon

Thanks for your reply. I agree Sunshine Coast would be great but been told not enough work for the people looking and they pay less than the Brissie suburbs (employment ageny said this). Isnt it funny that everyone seems to be going to live in North lakes though. Caboolture seems to have a reputation but a few people on this site reckon there are no problems there (except one person who ran it down to the ground). So i suppose we all have different expectations. Maybe me asking on here was not the right thing to do and i will get a better idea once there. Its just nice to get a starting point.

No one has mentioned other areas much apart from Recliffe which i heard was a little run down in the centre with older houses. What about Kallanger or Burpengary?

Thanks again

Georgina

Guest Guest12551

hi there, we are off to redcliffe on tuesday for a reccie, our friends stay in north lakes, they originally stayed in caboolture and recomended the place highly...... for demolishion!!!! they hated it.. said it was full of people who didnt want to work, it was run down etc.. now i know nothing of the area so cant comment.. can just pass on the info they gave us... they have however just built a house in north lakes and cant say a bad word about it.. but again thats just one couples view..... they do say that redcliffe is very nice, and that theres some sort of lagoon there which is nice... but ive also spoken to people in scotland who say the beach aint up to much... .. well we will soon find out wont we !! lol... i will let you know our opinion of these things when we get back or sooner if the laptop wireless thing works over there... john and marie

hi there, we moved to Halpine Lake, Mango Hill in January this year. It's within 5 mins drive from North Lakes. I hadnt heard of trouble in North Lakes and am very happy here. there's everything you need within the area, and it's 10 mins drive to Redcliffe. redcliffe is lovely in parts, there are however a lot of decrepit old houses sitting waiting to be bought by developers, demolished and apartments blocks going up in their place. Kallangar is nice in parts to, Griffin is inbetween there and here. We have usually lived in a more rural area and liked the look of Narangba, again within 10 mins drive to Nrth Lakes. There's lots of great areas, I'm really happy in Halpine Lake which is a smaller development than North Lakes and we have a good size plot. there are apparently a lot of Brits about, I'm friendly with 2 English ladies but equally there's lots of Aussies living in North Lakes and Mango Hill too. the Brits are a tiny percentage which is nice when you want to tlk about home but we certainly dont feel we're not living the Aussie experience because we live in an area where other Poms are. i think it's popular because the roads are wide and well designed, the houses are all different styles, the schools are good, the shops are air con'd and varied, the landscaping in the development is superb. It's a great family place. any more specific questions, please dont hesitate to ask!

We're so confident that the area is great that we're buying a 3 bed property in North Lakes to rent out to people coming out for a reckie or for a short stay at the beginning of their new life here. it'll be furnished and we'll be around to help with settling you in quickly.

Hope that helps a bit, Susie.

Guest bluemoon
Hi

I wanted to find out what Caboolture,Morayfield, Berpengary, kallanger, North lakes or other suburbs in this region were like to live.

Got 2 young children and want to be able to access TAFE and industrial areas easily. Wanted to find out the reality of travel to the beach and to the city. How long does it reallly take to get from Caboolture to city. Or Caboolture to beach. Wanted a good shopping centre so whats the time from Caboolture to North lakes?

Are these areas attractive to live and is there much going on?

Any info on any area in the reion would be great. I have done a little research but want people who live there to give me the lowdown.

Thankyou folks

Hi there,we live in bellmere just up the road from caboolture,it very nice here and close to everything.Before moving to bellmere we were renting at morayfield.

Caboolture and Morayfield train stations have plenty of parking and from what i can remember it takes about 40mins to get to brisbane central by train.

You dont need to travel to north lakes for shopping as morayfield shopping center has everything you need.We have never experienced the bad things that people have said about this region,i suppose if you look hard enough you may find something,but we have not.

It is only 15mins away from Bribie island,glass House mountains 20 mins,sunshine coast 35mins and redcliffe 30mins.

Lots of schools,pre schools and just about everything else you can think of.There is a hospital at Caboolture and Morayfield has a great medical center which is open 7 days a week untill 10pm some days and does bulk billing direct to medicare which is great.There is also a centerlink office here aswell.

There is a great new housing development in Caboolture its called Central Lakes the houses are really nice,and the rent is cheap aswell,you can get a 4bed,2 bath and double garage for around $330 a week which is really good.

There are lots of parks nr by and plenty of clubs to get the kids into.

Like you say there is good and bad everywhere.We have friends who are renting on north lakes and when my friend was taking the children to school some nice person had broken into thier home and stole a lot of thier things.They are now looking to move into the central lakes area at caboolture i was telling you about.

I hope i have been of some help to you.Good luck with everything,and im sure you will be happy where ever you choose to live.

Hello

Thankyou for your replies John&Marie, Bluemoon and Susie. You have all been helpful and i will definately check out central Lakes. Seems you get more for your money in this area that is except North lakes. We will only have a budget of no more than $400,000 to buy a house and we wanted a bit of a garden for the dog, trampoline and kids to kick a footie. Maybe a pool if we are really lucky. I really like the sound of North Lakes but dont think the budget will stretch to building a house there-let me know if i am wrong anyone but it appears land is around $200-250 ish k and then there's the house to build too. Do you think i would get a nice new build in Central Lakes or is that expensive too?

Thankyou again and may be l;ooking for a place to stay Susie so maybe contact you later on.

Georgina

Hi we live in a really nice suburb called Warner...it's about 30 min from Brisbane and 45 min takes you to Caloundra (the beautiful sunny coast).Its really quiet and has local shops or you can drive 5 min to strathpine ...a Large indoor shopping mall.

Other local suburbs are still affordable(Bray park,Lawnton and Petrie). We have lived here for 18 months and all these suburbs have some nice houses.

Guest bluemoon
Hello

Thankyou for your replies John&Marie, Bluemoon and Susie. You have all been helpful and i will definately check out central Lakes. Seems you get more for your money in this area that is except North lakes. We will only have a budget of no more than $400,000 to buy a house and we wanted a bit of a garden for the dog, trampoline and kids to kick a footie. Maybe a pool if we are really lucky. I really like the sound of North Lakes but dont think the budget will stretch to building a house there-let me know if i am wrong anyone but it appears land is around $200-250 ish k and then there's the house to build too. Do you think i would get a nice new build in Central Lakes or is that expensive too?

Thankyou again and may be l;ooking for a place to stay Susie so maybe contact you later on.

Georgina

Blocks of land on central lakes range from $145,$165 and they just get higher,but if your on a budget and want a nice new house you cant go wrong really,you could rent in one of the houses on there that is allready finnished while your waiting for yours to be built,that way you can settle the kiddies in school etc and find your way around.

The agents i have spoken to say that central lakes is the next north lakes,and from what i have seen i think they could be right,if we could have afforded to have a house built thats where we would go,but sadly we did not have the funds for that,good luck in what you decide to do.

Hi all

Have just been looking on webcam and see that it is now 7pm and dark in and around Brisbane!!!!

Is it always like that or is it just in winter? Is it the same all over Oz?

PS sunny here today.

Yippee!!

Shell&Ste

Think you will find that Brisbane is always like that, although other states arent and there are times in the year where they dont get dark to quite late like here in the UK

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hello

Well been up for a short stay and now can report back.

Stayed in North lakes with friends and although it was clean and modern and the school has a good reputation (prep to grade 12 so all the children can go to the same school) i didnt like it i am afraid to say. To me there was absolutely no character whatsoever and all the houses seemed very close together and all painted in different shades of grey!! Thats not to say it wont suit other people (as it obviously does). Its about a 15 to 20 drive to redcliffe which again i didnt rate much as the shops seemed run down as i had previously heard. The beach wasnt great and a bit grey like English sea and the sand was reddish and gritty. However the kiddies would enjoy the little lagoon and play parks (doesnt rate against Streets Beach in the city though- i could not fault it as it was beautiful).

After the initial realization that it wasnt for us we concentrated on the southern suburbs along Pacific Motorway from Springwood to Tanah Merah and thought they were great and have been planning on these areas to live. By the way Ikea is right on the Pacific Motorway around Springwood area for anyone interested.

However we are now thinking Burpengary/Narangba and are kicking ourselves for not looking at these suburbs. the reason simply being that i wasnt keen on the GC much as too busy and liked Bribie and Caloundra areas and have decided we would like to be nearer to the Sunshine Coast. We have decided to again stay with our friends in North Lakes when we initially move so that we can check and make sure these areas are good ones and also the swaying factor is you can get a 4x2 for the same as a 3x1 in the southern suburbs.

Cant think of any other things but ask anyway and i may be able to help. Oh the train ticket for 2 adults and 1 child to city from Petrie was $23 for a daily off peak. This covered all forms of transport even river cats in city. The parking at the staion was terrible and we took the last illegal partk space up!!!

Georgie

Guest Angelcake

Thanks for the update George.

I've been looking at these areas of Northern Brisbane too (from the UK). Havent been to North Lakes but have heard others express your views of it too.

Narangba house prices are definately slightly cheaper as are Warner house prices.

I'm heading out there in early November so can't wait to have a look round myself.

When are you off?

Angelcake

Hi

We live in Warner and it is a very nice suburb... think it has changd dramatically over the years with lots of development and they have a small shopping centre in the warner lakes estate and a large westfield centre 15 drive in Strathpine.

I can see northlakes apeal because its all new and clean and has everything on our doorstep ....I think you will find Narangba looks like Northlakes too...but I love it there and you get more for your money...but it has the same look /feel as northlakes.

Did you manage to look at Eaton Hills...closer to the city and a real mix of property...it is beautiful there and if you are looking for Acerage and have some money in the bank look at samford ... a really beautiful part of north brisbane.

As for warner you couldn't go wrong here ...although Im going back to Uk I have liked my time in the house I have here.

Guest Angelcake

Hi JoeTrac

From what Ive seen on realestate.com Warner does look very nice actually and is definately on the reccie list. Good to have a recommendation for the place - thanks.

Do you work in Brisbane CBD? Just wondering if the commute is as bad as every says from there?

Will have a look online at Eaton Hills. We are looking for a 4 bed for $400 - $450k so our budget is pretty limited unfortunately.

Thanks for your help

Angelcake

Hi JoeTrac

From what Ive seen on realestate.com Warner does look very nice actually and is definately on the reccie list. Good to have a recommendation for the place - thanks.

Do you work in Brisbane CBD? Just wondering if the commute is as bad as every says from there?

Will have a look online at Eaton Hills. We are looking for a 4 bed for $400 - $450k so our budget is pretty limited unfortunately.

Thanks for your help

Angelcake

Hi ...I dont work just look after my Little one and drink coffee :biglaugh:

My huby commutes to city 50 minutes in busy traffic...you can also get a train at braypark 30 minutes and very regular...I was impressed by the train service over here. warner has some houses at that price but for bigger land you might struggle...have a look at braypark too...they are some new estates at the top end of braypark and you get more for your money and is walking distace to warner...some parts of this area I wouldnt live right enough but the new estates are really nice and sames schools ect as warner. Narangba is really nice and at the moment cheaper but much further from CBD.

We live in Mango Hill, just over Anzac Avenue from North Lakes. My husband drives to Bald Hills train station, always gets a parking space there and it takes 35-ish mins intothe city from there. Just for the info of those who like the look of this area.

Friends of ours who are renting here have looked at houses in Narangba - it's semi-rural in areas, the house they like is in Valentine Court, which is beautiful. most houses there have around 2 acres I think. it's a ten min drive to North Lakes from there. If you move over the train line into Burpengary you get the same house for $100 less. but our friends were warned that the house they saw on the market there, whch again is on acreage, is near a lake or swamp or something and is horrific for mosquitos and sand flies. they were seriously excited abt the house, but thankfully some locals pointed out the mossie issue.

Susie.

Hi Angelcake

We are just about to put our house up for sale in melbourne so whenever it sells we will be coming.

I too liked the look of Warner but the houses at the time of looking were more expensive as we only have a budget of absolutely no more than $400k and really want to keep it at $350 or below as we have learnt that stretching yourselves does no good for your quality of life! The cost of everything is going up. I will again look at Warner as i may have been looking at the wrong time.

Susie its a nightmare looking for a decent suburb as just when you think youve pinpointed one down then there an issue like mozzies but saying that North lakes and Halpine Lakes are also supposed to have this problem too but you live there and havent mentioned it. I think it may affect all areas at some time or another. Just have to hang out the mozzie zappers!!

I think you said you lived there but after i finish this and look back it may be someone else!!

• 2 years later...
Hi all

Have just been looking on webcam and see that it is now 7pm and dark in and around Brisbane!!!!

PS sunny here today.

Yippee!!

Shell&Ste

ha ha I remember looking at webcams before we moved out here and it always seemed to be only in the mornings (UK) that I looked at them so was also always dark!! You will have to come back tonight to see it is beautiful and sunny - about as warm as you but we are nearly in mid Winter. In fact I think I'm going to go and look at some Uk webcams now!

Hi all

PS sunny here today.

Yippee!!

Shell&Ste

It gets dark early and quick around Brisbane, however it is winter over there at the moment so it does get dark earlier. They don't change the clocks like we do in the UK, british summer time so it still gets dark early even in the summer.

Not sure what web cam you are using but the link below is really good and you can time laspe, so can really see how quickly it gets dark. We always wondered why our aussie friend get up at 5am, well it's because its light then!

BSCH - Wynnum Webcam

Tina x

Guest kimmie
Hello

Georgina

Hi Georgie

Only recently relocated from Adelaide to Brisbane so are not too familiar, however we have looked at a fair few suburbs, these inc Northlakes, Redcliffe,Caboulture and others you mention. Most of the above do have new developments and seem to have attracted quite a few Brits. I myself emigrated originally to NZ and did so for a complete lifestyle change which included adjusting and intergrating with local people. I have lived in Australia for almost 4 years and have experienced beach/city/rural living all of which were in South Australia. On moving to QLD unlike Adelaide (where rentals are at a premium) there are a number of properties to be rented, most of these are on the new developments, we had camped our way up from SA so after 10 days of living in a tent we were in quite a hurry to find a place to rent. We succumbed to the all new just built 4 bed 2 bath freshly built house. We only entered a 6 mth lease and thank god, but thats not because its violent, dangerous or unkempt, infact completely the opposite, the landscaped gardens are pristeen, the houses are all different designs and from what I can see, the parks are well used and the streets well lit at night. I just happen to prefer older established neighbourhoods, I like the idea of living in an old Queenslander home with all its character, but then I dont have small children that need to be kept cool during the summer months with the modern ducted cooling systems that the new houses provide. There are all the facilities that you might need when you are a newcomer and have a young family. As has been said everyone is different and I myself feel that the newer developments themselves can be quite isolating unless you are involved in trips to school everyday where you will probably meet some great characters many of which are migrants, a portion of which are British and they all seem here in Queensland to be only too happy to say hi. To add to that all I can say is take your time, you will know what feels 'like home' eventually :jiggy:

Guest kimmie

Daylight saving does happen in the other states, its only QLD that doesnt take part, they had a referendum last year and altho it was close I believe that the majority of Queenslanders prefer not to have it.... not overly sure, didnt pay that much attention as I lived in South Australia at the time. Even with daylight saving the latest the sun goes down at the height of summer is just after 8.30pm, none of those lovely daylight 10pm evenings we used to experience in England. Sun up at around 5am tho, thats great if your a morning person like me :)

Daylight saving does happen in the other states, its only QLD that doesnt take part, they had a referendum last year and altho it was close I believe that the majority of Queenslanders prefer not to have it.... not overly sure, didnt pay that much attention as I lived in South Australia at the time. Even with daylight saving the latest the sun goes down at the height of summer is just after 8.30pm, none of those lovely daylight 10pm evenings we used to experience in England. Sun up at around 5am tho, thats great if your a morning person like me :)

You really didn't pay much attention the referendum was in Western Australia :biglaugh:

Guest kimmie
You really didn't pay much attention the referendum was in Western Australia :biglaugh:

Ha Ha no i didnt did i, knew one of the states were having a spat over it:biglaugh:

Archived