My right for returning home. Employer need to buy ticket

dunesurfer

Hi,

Wonder if anyone had this situation?

I emailed my ex employer, and copied in immigration, that i want a reasonable amount to return home.

No reply from employer.

What if they don't pay as they have to do so within 30 days? About 2 weeks left, and i did send a follow up.

Any ideas what to do in this case?

Yes. We are on 457 visas. My OH handed in his notice on Tuesday and at the same time submitted a travel request form for us all, and copied in pages from the DIAC websites.

They are responsible to remove you from the country if you request it. This is because Australia doesn't want people with expired visas to overstay in Australia if they can't afford return flights. It doesn't matter if you were made redundant or if it's your choice. For us, our sponsoring company have made it clear that they will not renew 457 visas or sponsor for permanent residency, so they can jolly well pay for our flights. Someone else who is on 457 has just left and had their flights approved, so we're just waiting for confirmation of ours. We picked out some flights, not too expensive but not the cheapest as we have a 9 month old, hopefully they'll just go along with our suggestion.

Yes, they are required to pay for flights. Be aware though, they can chose the flight and there have been cases of employers getting nasty about it and getting really bad ones. I remember a case on here a couple of years ago where the flight given had about 8 connections going all over the place.

Well it takes two people to get nasty.

I find some employers, especially in ACT very childish and act like children. Some with a grandeur self importance. (From where i come from it's usually people that's small minded, and not used to much in life)

Should they go the childish way, then there's an antidote.

I will then let them pay for it, buy my own ticket anyway. Let them waste the money if they want to play hard ball.

Just came from immigration. Told me I should go to Fairtrading first. Before I do, I emailed the CEO to follow up, telling him i emailed and it's nearly two weeks and no response. I'll give them a chance.

Edited by dunesurfer