Setting up a bank account

Daniel Lee Wilkinson

Hi All

I'm a UK and Australian passport holder. I've booked a ticket to go back to the UK permanently in April. Initially I'll be staying with my sister.

I understand it's important to arrange a UK bank account as soon as possible because I'll be trying to get work.

I've been trying to work out what's required to set up a bank account and how to go about meeting those requirements. I'm confused about these things because all the Googling i've done pulls up information tailored to Aussies who aren't going on a UK passport but on a visa for a (working) holiday.

How do I get a bank account? Are there things I need to put in place before I leave?

Hoping you can help.

Cheers

Daniel

Guest Chewitts

Tbh I'd probably leave it until you arrive, even if you get a job before you leave it will be several weeks before you get paid....it should only take a couple of days to get an account opened and running.

The BBA have a leaflet covering this.....

https://www.bba.org.uk/download-file/?f=eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczpcL1wvd3d3LmJiYS5vcmcudWtcL3dwLWNvbnRlbnRcL3VwbG9hZHNcLzIwMTRcLzAxXC9CQkFfQUUyNTdfU2luZ2xlUGFnZXMucGRmIiwidXNlciI6ZmFsc2V9

I'd ring HSBC in Australia - I know you can open a foreign bank account in lots of different countries if you bank with HSBC in the UK (and have your credit history taken into account) so it might work the other way too. You'd have to sign up for an Australian HSBC account first of course but worth it to have a UK account ready to go and for the ease of transfer etc.