Best bank for personal banking

Captain Roberto

ANZ have been really good. I find their app easy and their website. They did totally balls up at the start by not ordering our bank cards (2 weeks of having to get cash out over the counter to pay for things - was pretty stressful) but have redeemed themselves since.

One thing to consider is ATM machine access, it is not free like in the UK. Commonwealth have the largest network of ATM's, almost double of the others. This is one of main reasons we have chosen them and have an office in London to activate account before moving

We use NAB, they setup internet banking before we arrived in Australia and had our cards ready at the branch when we arrived and went in with identification. They have an easy mobile banking app, also branches and ATMs fairly widespread. No issues at all. Kids accounts with commonwealth through their school, also seem pretty good. Westpac didn't offer us Internet banking before we arrived, so didn't bother with them.

Guest The Pom Queen
One thing to consider is ATM machine access, it is not free like in the UK. Commonwealth have the largest network of ATM's, almost double of the others. This is one of main reasons we have chosen them and have an office in London to activate account before moving

Commonwealth were in the spotlight a few years ago about this, as although they claim to have the most ATM's what they don't tell you is they are at the same location.

Thanks all. :)

ATMs not such a big deal. I never have much spare cash anyway and usually just pay with a debit card.

Is it better to move a chunk of money to an aus bank account this way, or is there a better way to transfer cash?

The rate is pretty good at the moment and it might go down towards the UK election.

Any wisdom much appreciated.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks all. :)

ATMs not such a big deal. I never have much spare cash anyway and usually just pay with a debit card.

Is it better to move a chunk of money to an aus bank account this way, or is there a better way to transfer cash?

The rate is pretty good at the moment and it might go down towards the UK election.

Any wisdom much appreciated.

Personally I would look at NAB they are the only big four bank that has no monthly fees plus if you use Moneycorp to pay in to your NAB account there won't be any fees

setting up NAB was fast and easy from the UK - cards waiting when I got to Sydney on the recce, good banking app, didn't struggle to find ATM's in Sydney either so all good in that respect - happy thus far and hoping when I get ovr there will be equally as easy.

regarding transfers, I've transferred money across as and when I can and its been fast and simple, NAB provided the necessary details and it all turned up ok thus far!!!,

• 2 weeks later...

NAB + CBA/Westpac. NAB cause of no fees and good to have a second bank account. CBA/Westpac good for awesome credit limits and home loans later on.

EDIT: Can't speak for ANZ. Heard good and bad things when it comes to other bank products.

check out pocketbook if you are into budget planning and what not

Is bankwest good for Sydney? (The name implies it might be more WA orientated)

I've just been talking to my HR lady on the phone in Sydney (a Brit who moved out there a couple of years back), and she recommended Bankwest because they have an account with no ATM fees.

According to http://www.bankwest.com.au/personal/everyday-accounts/everyday-accounts-overview it's "no ATM fees at any Bankwest, CommBank, Westpac, NAB and ANZ branded ATMs Australia wide"

Personally I have other priorities as well, but if it turns out that the fees are painfully large then it might be worth considering.

Everybody will have their own favorite and avoid banks, so initially I would just use any bank with fee free accounts and then change later if needed. When we emigrated we used HSBC (our UK bank and still is) once here we got our first mortgage with St George, and thought they were the Bees Knees, however that home loan branch closed and when we wanted an investment loan the branch we went to were hopeless, so we went to Comm bank, they were giving answers before I even asked the question, so now with them some 10yrs.