If anyone can answer this, then you are my hero...!

Rara82

Hi all

Any help/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I keep going around in circles trying to find the answer to the following:

When an applicant passes the practical assessment with Vetassess and they receive an AQF certificate III (based on 3 years skilled work experience as Capenter and Joiner), can this then be used to claim 10 points under the educational qualifications, where it states 'You have completed a trade qualification for award by an Australian educational institution.' or 'You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation.'?

Unfortunately, I have received conflicting information. An agent we have asked says these points can be claimed, but I believe we would have to input start and end dates of study which we would not have as the qualification was obtained through skills assessment.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Sara

I'm no expert but I would have thought so. That is the whole reason for using Vetasses. That's how I got the points I needed, they assessed my qualifications and experience so I could claim the points

Thanks so much for replying Leah. That makes sense and I'm also inclined to think the same. Although, I'm at a complete loss on how we would input the study dates for this award/qualification when doing the EOI as there was technically no study due to the qualification being awarded as part of a skills assessment.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks again Leah

Edited by Rara82
spelling

Thanks so much for replying Leah. That makes sense and I'm also inclined to think the same. Although, I'm at a complete lost on how we would input the study dates for this qualification when doing the EOI as there was technically no study due to the qualification being awarded as part of a skills assessment.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks again Leah

Yes you claim 10 points for a positive skill assessment ,you put the start and finish date the day it (AQF) was awarded, this in turn will award the ten points on skillselect.

This is very interesting, as if this is the case (and you can claim the ten points) my hubby doesn't need to sit the IELTS test which will absolutely mean the world to him - he is dreading that bit!!! My fingers are crossed that this is the case x x x x

Thanks all for replying. You are all my heroes! :wink:

We are in the same boat Adele, we know the IELTS is crazy hard so it would be amazing if we get these ten points from the awarded AQF III.

The above responses are also in harmony with what this chap said in the below link:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/196629-help-eoi-trade-qualification.html

Thanks all for replying. You are all my heroes! :wink:

We are in the same boat Adele, we know the IELTS is crazy hard so it would be amazing if we get these ten points from the awarded AQF III.

The above responses are also in harmony with what this chap said in the below link:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/196629-help-eoi-trade-qualification.html

Sorry to burst your bubble but you can only claim 10 points for a positive skills assesment, which you enter the details in the section when asked if you have had a skills assesment.

You CAN NOT claim 10 points for AQF III in the education section. Any good migration agent would advise this.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you can only claim 10 points for a positive skills assesment, which you enter the details in the section when asked if you have had a skills assesment.

You CAN NOT claim 10 points for AQF III in the education section. Any good migration agent would advise this.

Thanks for responding Robwilliams.

I appreciate this is a grey area. Are you able to expand on the reasons why this award/qualification (AQF III) would not be eligible for ten points under the education section?

It is strange that there are applicants who have claimed these points successfully and have had their visas granted.

I can see why you would be able to claim the 10 points for a positive skills assessment - but if you never studied and recieved the AQF qualification I don't see why you could claim points for it....

but it im no expert...I just don't think it makes sense

I can see why you would be able to claim the 10 points for a positive skills assessment - but if you never studied and recieved the AQF qualification I don't see why you could claim points for it....

but it im no expert...I just don't think it makes sense

Thanks Engaus

After all the submitted paperwork has been assessed by VETASSESS and the technical/practical is passed, in addition to receiving a positive skills assessment, VETASSESS also, at the same time, award an AQF certificate III for trade occupations. If no apprenticeship has been completed, they take three years of skilled employment (Recognition of Prior Learning RPL) as substitute for formal study/training. If an apprenticeship was completed or NVQ, I understand the newly awarded AQF III supersedes these qualifications for migration purposes.

Therefore the AQF certificate III has been awarded by an approved assessing authority. An agent has advised this would enable us to claim the 10 points below under the educational section (wording taken from MIGRATION AMENDMENT REGULATIONS):

6C75

attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority for the applicant's nominated skilled occupation as being suitable for the occupation

10 points

(this is also as per WRussell's earlier post, whom I forgot to thank earlier, thanks WRussell).

I also am no expert (far from it) which is why I am grateful to be corrected should I be mistaken on any of the above.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts - much appreciated.

Sara

[TABLE=width: 492]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

NO points are awarded for a positive skills assessment.

However...

As advised by @wrussell (an experienced and respected RMA) in post #7 in this thread, you CAN claim 10 points for a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority for the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation as being suitable for the occupation.

However...

As advised by @wrussell (an experienced and respected RMA) in post #7 in this thread, you CAN claim 10 points for a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority for the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation as being suitable for the occupation.

When I filled in my EOI I left out the AQF III in the education section and put a positive skills assessment with my skills reference number, it awarded me 10 points for this?

So am I able to claim an extra 10 points for having a AQF III, think I will leave it at 60 points as better to underclaim than overclaim?

However...

Thanks Ozmaniac. This clarification definitely helps us out and hopefully will assist others wondering about claiming these points.

Thank you again

Now I am starting to doubt the advice I have been given and my own EOI!!! :err:

Looking at my EOI online it seems to have automatically allowed for my AQFIII, under the education section it says Australian or trade qualification or other qualification recognised by a relevant assessing authority. I never entered any details in regards to my AQFIII in the education section.

My EOI

Age 32 = 30 points

IELTS 7 = 10 points

Years of experience, started apprenticeship September 2004 till August 2009, worked in carpentry till June 2012 since June 2012 an estimator = 10 points

Positive skills assessment = 10 points

Total = 60 points not including my AQF III carpentry qualification

Looking at my EOI online it seems to have automatically allowed for my AQFIII, under the education section it says Australian or trade qualification or other qualification recognised by a relevant assessing authority. I never entered any details in regards to my AQFIII in the education section.

My EOI

Age 32 = 30 points

IELTS 7 = 10 points

Years of experience, started apprenticeship September 2004 till August 2009, worked in carpentry till June 2012 since June 2012 an estimator = 10 points

That's good Robwilliams, sounds like however you completed the EOI, the correct points have been claimed.

Wishing you all the best for your application.

My EOI

Age 32 = 30 points

IELTS 7 = 10 points

According to what you've told us, I can't see how you could get 10 points for experience. I may be wrong, but I strongly suggest you consult a good RMA for advice before you lodge an application for a visa.

I have got 10 points worked out because I have at least 5 years and less than 8 years relevant working experience.

As Rara82 has said in one of their earlier posts, a AQF III replaces my apprenticeship which will take it to end of August 2007 as I started in September 2004. From 1st September 2007 to 1st June 2012 is 4 Years and 8 months. On the IMMI website it says relevant work experience has to be closely related or follow a career path. Estimator is a career path for a carpenter and this is stated on the Australian master builders website. So from 1st of June 2012 to present time is 2 years and 7 months. Making a total of 7 years and 3 months relevant work experience.

Please let me know if this is wrong but as far as I have looked into this it is correct?

Generally speaking, occupations are only considered to be 'closely related' for work experience points purposes if they are in the same ANZSCO Unit group. Carpenter is in ANZSCO Unit Group 3312. If you've been working as a Construction/Building Estimator since June 2012, that is in Unit Group 3121. Now, it may be that the work you've been doing could be considered to be closely related but if it isn't, you have a problem claiming points for that experience. As I said before, I may be wrong but I really think you should check with a knowledgeable and experienced REGISTERED Migration Agent before you risk losing your VAC.

Edited by Ozmaniac

Generally speaking, occupations are only considered to be 'closely related' for work experience points purposes if they are in the same ANZSCO Unit group. Carpenter is in ANZSCO Unit Group 3312. If you've been working as a Construction/Building Estimator since June 2012, that is in Unit Group 3121. Now, it may be that the work you've been doing could be considered to be closely related but if it isn't, you have a problem claiming points for that experience. As I said before, I may be wrong but I really think you should check with a knowledgeable and experienced REGISTERED Migration Agent before you risk losing your VAC.

Thanks for your help with this, I will make contact with one of the people you have recommended. I also contacted vetassess to ask how many years of relevant work experience they assessed for my carpentry and they came back with the following response. Although I know that Australia immigration make the final decision what ever vetassess say

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your email.

VETASSESS has a requirement of applicants to have 5 years of employment evidence when conducting a skill assessment with us. We do not state this on our documents as we do offer the point test service here at VETASSESS. On the outcome letter you will only receive the result and automatically it is known you have received a successfully outcome due to providing 5 years of employment.

For more informartion please contact us on the number below.

This is very interesting, as if this is the case (and you can claim the ten points) my hubby doesn't need to sit the IELTS test which will absolutely mean the world to him - he is dreading that bit!!! My fingers are crossed that this is the case x x x x

Hi, it is the case. Once you get your skills assessed you get 10 points for your AQF. I did and got 60 points in total without doing an IELTS. Was so relieved when I got the invite. Good luck to your hubby and hope he gets his invite soon.

• 6 years later...

Hi Guys, i know this is an old thread but i also saw that most of you have your visas now 🙂

I have the same question as @Rara82 above - 

1.) When an applicant passes the practical assessment with Vetassess and they receive an AQF certificate III (based on 3 years skilled work experience , can this then be used to claim 10 points under the educational qualifications, where it states 'You have completed a trade qualification for award by an Australian educational institution.' or 'You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation.? 

2.) Also which option do we select from  'a trade qualification for award by an Australian educational institution' as we were awarded the AQF III OR 'You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation'? What did you all opt with for this? 

Please help if any of you are still active, we have just ben invited to apply and I want to be sure I have everything correct before continuing. It seems like its still a very grey area. 

Thank you! 

On 01/11/2021 at 15:59, Oakmonth said:

Hi Guys, i know this is an old thread but i also saw that most of you have your visas now 🙂

I have the same question as @Rara82 above - 

1.) When an applicant passes the practical assessment with Vetassess and they receive an AQF certificate III (based on 3 years skilled work experience , can this then be used to claim 10 points under the educational qualifications, where it states 'You have completed a trade qualification for award by an Australian educational institution.' or 'You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation.? 

2.) Also which option do we select from  'a trade qualification for award by an Australian educational institution' as we were awarded the AQF III OR 'You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation'? What did you all opt with for this? 

Please help if any of you are still active, we have just ben invited to apply and I want to be sure I have everything correct before continuing. It seems like its still a very grey area. 

Thank you! 

Hiya

I'm sure it is you have attained a qualification or award option, it was a couple of years ago when I did mine so not 100%.

When we do the skill assessment they are just making sure that we are trained in the job we do.