What do you miss from the UK?

natalietrueman84

I can generally get most of the British staples (Branston Pickle, HP sauce, curries) so the only things I really miss are:

- Real ale (Australian craft ales are way too bitter)

- Decent country pubs (a country pub here means tin roof, concrete floor and chicken wire windows)

- Small villages between large towns (there are almost none around the ACT)

Other than that we get super-fast broadband now in the ACT and pretty much everything else is better :-)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spice Avenue is the closest place you'll get to a british indian! but if it was a takeaway in england, you'd prob order somewhere better. Still worth venturing out there it you miss it badly, plus the 1 of 2 proper english fish and chips shops is a couple doors down, which is good, but they got ozzies cooking, bit hit and miss on the under cooked chips, still decent though. all the equipment got imported over for UK :)

I miss uk real ales,Oz has some nice craft beers but no proper real ales like uk,Oz beer is also ridiculously expensive.Second hand cars are also well overpriced.The Internet is expensively priced and I find slow,the guy that connected our internet said speeds will drop significantly over the next 18 months or so due to the amount of households sharing the nbn hubs.I miss being able to buy a pasty or cold pie in a shop,from what I've seen their either burning hot in the display heaters in garages or frozen in supermarkets.I do love the Oz Turkish delights though,they are bigger and the jelly is much tastier than in the uk.

Dan murphys , 24 adnams ghost ship ales $55.99. Cheaper here in Brisbane than in southwold where they are Brewed. Other imported British ales tend to quite pricey though. Dan murphys always helps with the British ale fix

Dan murphys , 24 adnams ghost ship ales $55.99. Cheaper here in Brisbane than in southwold where they are Brewed. Other imported British ales tend to quite pricey though. Dan murphys always helps with the British ale fix

Thanks very much for this, I tried Ghost ship last year and was very impressed! I shall get on to it or on it even!

• 2 weeks later...