What do you miss from the UK?

natalietrueman84

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just moan about the price of lemons or something! What's Tim tam slam?

Where you bite the diagonally opposite corners off the biscuit, suck your cuppa tea thru it like a straw then eat it quick in one gorgeous hot gooey chocolatey mouthful! I'm sure it's more of a backpacker thing these days than an Aussie tradition!

Where you bite the diagonally opposite corners off the biscuit, suck your cuppa tea thru it like a straw then eat it quick in one gorgeous hot gooey chocolatey mouthful! I'm sure it's more of a backpacker thing these days than an Aussie tradition!

Oh I think Adam hills was talking about that tv once. I'd just end up dropping it in my tea :laugh:

Definitely not an Aussie tradition, not with this Aussie anyway. I was really glad when Stacey asked what it was and that someone answered - first time I'd ever heard of it.

• 4 weeks later...

What products/things do you miss from the UK and find it difficult to get them here in Australia? Light nights, Weetabix (and don't tell me the local stuff is the same because its nothing like the real thing), proper chips when dining out, Frys Turkish Delight (the Aussie version tastes scented) & tasty strawberries...come to think of it fresh fruit as a whole.

What things are you finding expensive here in Australia compared to the UK? Eating out is very expensive, since when did pubs become 5 star restaurants?

What things do you refrain from buying here in Australia because they are too expensive? Nowt but it doesn't stop me moaning about the price....tell a lie, i never buy from Aussie iTunes as they're overpriced

If you could have one product here which would make your life easier, what would it be? UK radio

What products/things do you miss from the UK and find it difficult to get them here in Australia?

Marmite - $5 for smallest jar here. Proper beer. BBC (but less so now it's deteriorating). Trips to Europe. Browsing affordable books. Decent vegetables.

What things are you finding expensive here in AUstralia compared to the UK?

Everything is more expensive in Australia except houses, petrol and red meat.

What things do you refrain from buying here in Australia because they are too expensive?

Books mainly, box sets, decent cheese like Camembert only when on offer - we buy nearly everything online from overseas because retail is so expensive here.

If you could have one product here which would make your life easier, what would it be?

Single malt whisky, although the price is getting so high in the UK now that the disparity is shrinking.

Edited by Scrutineer

there is no product I can't find here or that I miss from uk. Everything is here, or there are alternative which are as good or better. Possible exception of ready meals which there's not a great range of here but let's face it they are all processes salty crap anyway- make your own food it's nicer.

We don't find prices of every day items any more expensive in Melb than in uk certainly if you're sensible and shop around.

Miss boots No. 7 make up

Marmite and PG tips - buy from selected Coles shops

White goods expensive in Aus also books

Haven't found anything I can't get that we need though it would be easier with Amazon - nothing compares to Amazon :)

I miss Boots No. 7 products too. You would think a few of the chemists would stock some of their stuff. There are even Boots chemists in Bangkok so why not here?

I can't think of much else I miss.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chewitts
I'll have a look for it - the reviews suggest it's a toner but I'll have a look for it. Thanks Chewitts - if you speak to your friend, could you ask her how she's found it and if it's a cream cleanser type liquid rather than a clear toner type xxx

Hi Ali!.....I asked my friend and she said yes it is a cream type liquid and not the clear alcohol kind of stuff :cute:

Hi Everyone,

What products/things do you miss from the UK and find it difficult to get them here in Australia? Bacon.

What things are you finding expensive here in AUstralia compared to the UK? Eveything , but petrol is cheap

What things do you refrain from buying here in Australia because they are too expensive? If I want it I buy it

If you could have one product here which would make your life easier, what would it be? Bacon, did I mention Bacon. I could say Bacon. I could kill for some bacon.

Many Thanks Everyone :-)

Natalie

With saying that I used to but 20lb of bacon at a time at the meat market in London.

God I do love bacon!

Mmmmm Bacon....

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest66881

Crowds

not.:wink:

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

you have all been very helpful thanks so much! I am looking to partner up with some UK suppliers to hopefully sell some products (namely make up, toiletries etc - I know have ot bear in mind customs) on behalf of them. Trouble is I don't know where to start!

Does any one have any contacts or links That could point me in the right direction?

I would appreciate all your help

Natalie

What products/things do you miss from the UK and find it difficult to get them here in Australia? Light nights, Weetabix (and don't tell me the local stuff is the same because its nothing like the real thing), proper chips when dining out, Frys Turkish Delight (the Aussie version tastes scented) & tasty strawberries...come to think of it fresh fruit as a whole.

What things are you finding expensive here in Australia compared to the UK? Eating out is very expensive, since when did pubs become 5 star restaurants?

What things do you refrain from buying here in Australia because they are too expensive? Nowt but it doesn't stop me moaning about the price....tell a lie, i never buy from Aussie iTunes as they're overpriced

If you could have one product here which would make your life easier, what would it be? UK radio

UK radio can be got easily via the net. Although the live stream does mean you listen to the night shift! Just her a radio app like tune in radio. I listen to the BBC I player radio app all the time because it has on demand and downloads. But I love the radio drama on the BBC.