Where to live? Decisions, decisions

Marisawright

OK so we've finally resolved all the financial issues (I think) and now just waiting for my oh's spouse visa to come through. The next big decision is - where to live?

I have family in Exeter and Windsor, and we'd like to take advantage of cheap deals to the continent, so south of England is the obvious choice, but other than that we have no links to anywhere in particular. I have no interest in going back to my home town in far north Scotland.

I had set my sights on Bristol, but recently I saw a post from Ramot saying people are stand-offish, so now I'm wondering. We do ballroom dancing and I belly dance, so we were thinking we'd need to go to a city where there would be plenty of classes, but maybe a slightly smaller place would be friendlier?

Any suggestoins anyone?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lots of friends from Scotland who've moved to Bristol, and Brighton, and they love it.

Maybe make a list of your criteria, put them in order of priority, and then do some research online?

The cost of living, Council Tax and amenities, especially transport options, can vary a lot from one place to another of course.

I don't know Bristol but cannot imagine why the people there would be any less friendly than elsewhere. Southerners in general are probably less friendly than elsewhere in the UK but you will still make friends once you settle in an area. I know Windsor quite well and really don't rate it. Low flying aircraft into and out of Heathrow every minute and it's a horrid town IMO full of tourists and tatty souvenir shops.

Are you not having to go where the work is?

My daughter is at university in Bristol and she loves it - she says the people are as friendly as they are here in Northumberland, but I guess being a student is a different experience from working somewhere. If you want somewhere smaller down in that area, what about Bath or Exeter?

I don't think you have to restrict yourselves to the south of England (unless that's where you want live) to take advantage of cheap deals to Europe, unless you want to drive there. We get very cheap flights from Newcastle and Manchester to anywhere.

To be honest, most cities and many towns will have classes in ballroom dancing (and probablybelly dancing too). Are there any other things you enjoy? Do you like easy access to countryside? Hills? Moorland? Beaches? Do you want lots of cultural activities (although there are usually plenty of those wherever you choose)?

Do you have to decide before you get here? Or could you spend a bit of time travelling round and get a 'feel' for where feels comfortable? I never would have believed I could feel as 'at home' where we're living at the moment (I swore I'd never come this far north again!), but it's really lovely and I really appreciate everything this area has to offer. Sometimes places can really take you by surprise.

Good luck with your decision. It's an exciting, if uncertain, time for you.

I used to live in Slough, a walk away from Windsor. Windsor is very expensive for houses, too many tourists and its right on the flightpath to Heathrow. It will drive you bonkers. thats why i left Slough. Don't even think of Windsor.

I come from Devon and Exeter is a very nice place, a bit exy and the airport is good for European getaways to most places.

Before emmigrating we lived in Bristol and it is brilliant. if we ever go back to England (unlikely) we would go there. there is plenty to do, great people who are super friendly. Our old landlord used to run ballroom dancing competitions http://dancelines.com/ and Bristol is a place where you can do all sorts of activities. I am sure there you can find belly dancing, pole dancing,even morris dancing ! Loads of arts and culture if that's your thing. The airport is great and only 20 mins away on the bus adn loads of lovely places nearby

Ive never found it standoffish - and Bristol has got a great balance of West Country lifestyle and City life where generally speaking people are very friendly and easy to deal with. With Family in Exeter and Windsor it could be an ideal location for you Marisawright being approx 70 miles or so in either direction (with great links to M-Ways,Airports, and such), and near enough to be close but far away enough as well ! Bristol will offer you all the things important to you. I'm close by on the coast so if you need a hand with anything give me a shout.

If I was 100% settling in the uk, I would settle in Cornwall in heartbeat. I love the remoteness it still has, the beaches and how much more relaxed it is. I lived there for nearly 5 years before I moved to Bristol and for me Bristol doesn't compare.

All personal opinions and all that!

OK so we've finally resolved all the financial issues (I think) and now just waiting for my oh's spouse visa to come through. The next big decision is - where to live?

I have family in Exeter and Windsor, and we'd like to take advantage of cheap deals to the continent, so south of England is the obvious choice, but other than that we have no links to anywhere in particular. I have no interest in going back to my home town in far north Scotland.

I had set my sights on Bristol, but recently I saw a post from Ramot saying people are stand-offish, so now I'm wondering. We do ballroom dancing and I belly dance, so we were thinking we'd need to go to a city where there would be plenty of classes, but maybe a slightly smaller place would be friendlier?

Any suggestoins anyone?

They do have airports and planes up north, and even sliced bread!

My daughter goes to University in Bristol and loves it' date=' [/color']she says the people are as friendly as they are here in Northumberland, but I guess being a student is a different experience from working somewhere. If you want somewhere smaller down in that area, what about Bath or Exeter?

I don't think you have to restrict yourselves to the south of England (unless that's where you want live) to take advantage of cheap deals to Europe, unless you want to drive there. We get very cheap flights from Newcastle and Manchester to anywhere.

To be honest, most cities and many towns will have classes in ballroom dancing (and probablybelly dancing too). Are there any other things you enjoy? Do you like easy access to countryside? Hills? Moorland? Beaches? Do you want lots of cultural activities (although there are usually plenty of those wherever you choose)?

Do you have to decide before you get here? Or could you spend a bit of time travelling round and get a 'feel' for where feels comfortable? I never would have believed I could feel as 'at home' where we're living at the moment (I swore I'd never come this far north again!), but it's really lovely and I really appreciate everything this area has to offer. Sometimes places can really take you by surprise.

Good luck with your decision. It's an exciting, if uncertain, time for you.

There in lies the problem. When I was answering on another thread about Bristol I was responding to the OP thinking of settling in inner city areas. Inner City Bristol is Student land. For them that's fine but for an older couple looking to settle down, not so much so. Obviously it's subjective and apart from a recent 2 week visit I left Bristol 4.5 years ago. If we were ever to return to England we would not choose Bristol.

There in lies the problem. When I was answering on another thread about Bristol I was responding to the OP thinking of settling in inner city areas. Inner City Bristol is Student land. For them that's fine but for an older couple looking to settle down, not so much so. Obviously it's subjective and apart from a recent 2 week visit I left Bristol 4.5 years ago. If we were ever to return to England we would not choose Bristol.

I agree. I think it's the same anywhere really. I loved living in London in my 20s, but would absolutely hate it now, but everyone's different whatever their age. I have friends who still love London - the crowds, the buzz and everything just there on their doorstep.

I was more answering about the friendliness of the people (probably not very clearly) and how my daughter has found people as chatty and friendly there as they are here in the north (she hates the alarms going off at all times of the night and the local restaurants putting their bins out at 2am - she's not your stereotypical partying student :wink:)

I worked in Bristol and would stay there a lot during the week and very much enjoyed it and found both the people friendly and the city interesting.

If travelling a lot to Europe is the plan, then have you thought about somewhere like Ashton - it is cheap and easy to get the Eurostar.

Just to clarify, we really like Bristol, but we haven't lived there, but have visited every year for the last 12 years, usually 3 months. We are retired early 70's now, and obviously I don't know it it's an age thing, or if people of our age are very settled with their lives and family.

Whereas where we live on the Sunshine Coast lots of retired people come for a few months over the winter especially, so we locals are well used to welcoming them?

An example, we play bridge, and at both our local clubs, any visitor is introduced and made welcome.

When we have played in Bristol, we weren't acknowledged in any way, and found it more than strange that people didn't even come and chat during the break. We didn't go back after the 2nd visit.

This is just our experience, and as said we really think Bristol is a great city with lots going on.

Loads of arts and culture if that's your thing.

Loads of arts and culture, you said the magic words!

We haven't considered Windsor, in fact my sister is looking for somewhere else but she works at Heathrow and has a sick husband and two kids to worry about, so she doesn't want a long commute.

I don't know Bristol but cannot imagine why the people there would be any less friendly than elsewhere. Southerners in general are probably less friendly than elsewhere in the UK but you will still make friends once you settle in an area. I know Windsor quite well and really don't rate it. Low flying aircraft into and out of Heathrow every minute and it's a horrid town IMO full of tourists and tatty souvenir shops.

Are you not having to go where the work is?

No, we're both over 60 and semi-retired. I do want to get a part-time job but quite happy to work in a shop or do a clerical job - there isn't much part-time work in my field anyway.

Southerners in general are probably less friendly than elsewhere in the UK .

Often wondered why people believe this - Grew up in Brighton, lived in York for a while (probably doesn't count as real North to many). Lived in a very friendly village in Sussex where a 5 minute walk was challenging as so many people stopped to chat - never found any difference in friendliness of people, although Brighton is a very open minded liberal city which has a high tolerance of people who are different - Parents from midlands and north always whined on about people being less friendly down south - But never found any evidence of this - Perhaps people think that those in Sussex live in mega mansions, look down to people and don't talk to their neighbours?

Edited by Chortlepuss

What about South Cambridgeshire, which is easy to get to Stansted for the airport, or Kent which has a Eurostar terminal? Cambridge is lovely, and there are plenty of beautiful villages around Cambridge if you didn't want to live in the middle of it. We lived in Cambridgeshire for quite a while (Cambridge then Ely, and then we moved to Suffolk, just up the road), and loved our time there.

What about South Cambridgeshire, which is easy to get to Stansted for the airport, or Kent which has a Eurostar terminal? Cambridge is lovely, and there are plenty of beautiful villages around Cambridge if you didn't want to live in the middle of it. We lived in Cambridgeshire for quite a while (Cambridge then Ely, and then we moved to Suffolk, just up the road), and loved our time there.

Oh yeah! Can vouch for this area but properties are expensive unfortunately. I'd say the OP is spoiled for choice TBH. We lived in Bristol many years ago and didn't find it stand-offish at all and there are some grand villages around it (who could resist the lure of Nempnett Thrubwell?). My preference would have been Bath but that was close enough to make no difference.

Since we've lived here and seen so much on our little trips I'd say you are absolutely spoiled for choice! There are loads of areas I would love to live in, meanwhile, South Cambs villages are no hardship at all!

Often wondered why people believe this - Grew up in Brighton, lived in York for a while (probably doesn't count as real North to many). Lived in a very friendly village in Sussex where a 5 minute walk was challenging as so many people stopped to chat - never found any difference in friendliness of people, although Brighton is a very open minded liberal city which has a high tolerance of people who are different - Parents from midlands and north always whined on about people being less friendly down south - But never found any evidence of this - Perhaps people think that those in Sussex live in mega mansions, look down to people and don't talk to their neighbours?

I am a southerner. IMO people from the south tend to be more guarded, defensive and suspicious of people's motives though polite and superficially friendly. Northerners are more open about their opinions which can be a problem but makes it easier to really get to know the person. A sweeping generalisation though I suspect but I think that there is an attitude difference essentially.

I'm from the North East but lived 13 years in the South - Ashford, Southend and Brentwood and my theory is it's not so much a North/South thing as a class thing with working class much more friendly than middle class. Areas where there is deprivation people tend to stick together, we had a much better experience in Southend then we did in Ashford or Brentwood and I was just reflecting on this recently on a trip to Bracknell - an awful place but the staff in the hotel and attched restaurant could not have been friendlier and reminded me very much of Southend people (many of who are London Eastenders by birth)

York to be honest probably isn't as friendly as the poorer areas of the North and class/poverty is probably the grain of truth behind the belief that Glasgow is friendlier than Edinburgh.

Middle class people are less friendly and there are more of those in the South.

I am by the way SO middle class it's embarrassing!

I haven't noticed too much difference between northerners and southerners either (other than London which isn't a fair comparison anyway) but it's southerners that have said that to me.. That the further north they go the friendlier they've found people. I was quite surprised

How about Oxford/Oxfordshire?

Birmingham, Gatwick, Luton and Heathrow airports are all reachably very easily by car and public transport. London is 60 mins by train or about 90-120 mins by bus. South Coast is 90-120 mins by car. Good train connections (through Didcot) to Bristol, Wales, Devon/Cornwall. Well placed between Midlands and South/South West.

Lots going on in Oxford and the surrounding smaller towns with plenty of scope for rural living or days out away from the built up areas.

Drawback is it's a bit pricey, depending on exact location and house size of course.

The UK is pretty expensive everywhere, but certainly in the south - but if you've been living in Sydney that shouldn't be too problematic I guess!

There are lots of places around Bristol that are nice. We have mates in South Gloucester and North Somerset, and family (uncles, aunts and cousins) in Gloucestershire and they all love it (various ages from 5 to 61). There's always Glastonbury once a year :)

Edited by Captain Roberto

If you've got foxtel, watch escape to the country for a good idea of the countryside in all different areas and prices.

You see this is our difficulty, we watch Escape to the Country all the time but we would never live in any of those properties - I like visiting picturesque villages and lovely countryside, but I wouldn't live there if you paid me. I'm a city girl through and through.