Working holiday in Australia - running away from my problems or a great idea?

roro1990

So the issue is that i'm 24 and unemployed with savings of 8k in the bank and I've been thinking of heading to Australia for a year (or two) on a working holiday. I'm just wondering though is it really a good idea?

See the way things are at home is not ideal. I've never lived out of my own home, my social life has stagnated to the point I only have 3 friends (2 of whom I'd only see about once every 2 months) and I've not been in a relationship since I was 21. So loneliness is a big problem for me. I also don't really know what I want career-wise. I've worked for 9 months in a job related to my college degree and hated it. But i'm just wondering is it wise to run away from my problems like this? If I go off for a year or 2 fair enough I might have a great time but the same loneliness issues could hit me as soon as I come back. And also there's a good chance I'll still be in a position where I don't know what career I really want.

On the one hand I feel like i'm at an ideal age to do something like this and it could be an incredible experience but on the other I feel like i'm running from my problems? And who's to say I won't be lonely in Australia? If anyone has some advice that would be nice.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to have nothing to stay at home for.. going to Australia may help your confidence and help you make friends, you will also be able to travel! You will not be lonely, check yourself in at a backpackers hostel and you will meet so many people. If you come and hate it, it isn't like you have given up a job etc. I presume these three friends aren't really a huge part of your life? You can still keep in touch with them over in Oz. Maybe time away from home will help you in the long run when you come back, youll be a year or two older and maybe wiser!! You have enough cash to start you up and keep you going until you find a job in Oz. If i was in your shoes i would do it, nothing to loose!

My daughter is now 19 and she has just come back from 13 months in Australia and Thailand and she certainly didn't have anywhere near as much cash when she first went. She was in a similar position to you before she went and it has honestly been the best experience of her life. She is now focused on what she wants to do to get back out there at the earliest opportunity. Ironically, I have secured a job in Sydney and leave in 3 weeks for 4 years. If your life is how you say it is, and you are clearly not happy with it, you have the means to do something about it! Life is not a rehearsal! Grab it with both hands. If you don't like Oz, there are other countries to explore and home (and the 2 friends) will always be there..... What are you waiting for? I had my daughter at 19 and have worked damned hard and had to wait for over 20 years to follow my dream. You have the perfect opportunity, with no ties or commitments to do it now and choose a whole new life path... its not called running away... it's called running too!!! Best of luck!

You seem to have nothing to stay at home for.. going to Australia may help your confidence and help you make friends, you will also be able to travel! You will not be lonely, check yourself in at a backpackers hostel and you will meet so many people. If you come and hate it, it isn't like you have given up a job etc. I presume these three friends aren't really a huge part of your life? You can still keep in touch with them over in Oz. Maybe time away from home will help you in the long run when you come back, youll be a year or two older and maybe wiser!! You have enough cash to start you up and keep you going until you find a job in Oz. If i was in your shoes i would do it, nothing to loose!

You make good points in favour of leaving. In fairness, deep down I know it's something I want to do but there's so many doubts creeping into my mind that are preventing me from booking it.Ranging from feeling like i'm abandoning my parents (i'm an only child) to thinking I won't make any friends cause i'm shy. My friends wouldn't really be a big part of my life anymore, we were all much closer up until about 2 years ago. I should really just book the tickets but it's a tough call.

You make good points in favour of leaving. In fairness, deep down I know it's something I want to do but there's so many doubts creeping into my mind that are preventing me from booking it.Ranging from feeling like i'm abandoning my parents (i'm an only child) to thinking I won't make any friends cause i'm shy. My friends wouldn't really be a big part of my life anymore, we were all much closer up until about 2 years ago. I should really just book the tickets but it's a tough call.

Just go. You're not abandoning your parents, and presumably they are in good health, as you are fairly young (ie, I'm guessing they will not be as old as my parents, because I am 10+ years older than you).

If you fancy seeing what Australia has to offer, go and find out. If you don't like it, you can come home. If you do like it, you can do the three months regional work in the first year, and qualify for a second year WHV.

Just FYI, I am an only child too. Have lived close to my parents since leaving home (London is the furthest I've gone, at approx. 70 miles away) and I am moving to Australia next year. If all goes well, it will be permanent. So I think my "abandonment" trumps yours...

:embarrassed:

Edited by vickyplum

Doesn't sound like you've much to lose by going for a holiday for a year or two. You're a good 10 yrs younger than my youngest and I would be mightily ticked off if one of my kids thought they had to hang around just because of us. Youll either love it or you won't and whichever way it turns out you will "grow up" in the process (I'm not saying that in a pejorative way) and be better prepared to move on when you return with, hopefully, a clearer sense of direction and a lot more self confidence. I'm an only and left mine without a backward glance at 30. 30+ yrs later I'm back caring for them so it's all good.

i'm just wondering is it wise to run away from my problems like this? If I go off for a year or 2 fair enough I might have a great time but the same loneliness issues could hit me as soon as I come back. And also there's a good chance I'll still be in a position where I don't know what career I really want.

On the one hand I feel like i'm at an ideal age to do something like this and it could be an incredible experience but on the other I feel like i'm running from my problems? And who's to say I won't be lonely in Australia? If anyone has some advice that would be nice.

You are at an ideal age to do something like this, and you've got the great advantage that you don't have to worry about leaving a good job or losing touch with friends etc. if you're away for a few years. I'd say going to Australia is the perfect solution - you're not running away from problems, you're taking a positive step to grow and develop yourself and open yourself to new experiences. So what if you're lonely in Australia? You're unlikely to be worse off than you are now. If you stay in backpackers, you'll meet lots of people and probably hit it off with one or two. I say go for it!

You are at an ideal age to do something like this, and you've got the great advantage that you don't have to worry about leaving a good job or losing touch with friends etc. if you're away for a few years. I'd say going to Australia is the perfect solution - you're not running away from problems, you're taking a positive step to grow and develop yourself and open yourself to new experiences. So what if you're lonely in Australia? You're unlikely to be worse off than you are now. If you stay in backpackers, you'll meet lots of people and probably hit it off with one or two. I say go for it!

Well I left the chance of a potentially good job in terms of pay, but it would've been similar to what I done for the last few months and I hated that. I figure if i'm going into work miserable everyday there's no point continuing to do it, regardless of the pay. It's tough not knowing what career you really want buy maybe going to Oz can help. I'll probably try jobs that I'd never even think of at home!

Well I left the chance of a potentially good job in terms of pay, but it would've been similar to what I done for the last few months and I hated that. I figure if i'm going into work miserable everyday there's no point continuing to do it, regardless of the pay. It's tough not knowing what career you really want buy maybe going to Oz can help. I'll probably try jobs that I'd never even think of at home!

Exactly! The problem is that you're stuck in a rut right now, and you don't have enough experience to know what else is out there. You really need to widen your horizons and I think Australia would be a great way to do that.

Honestly, if your parents are putting any pressure on you not to go at your age, you NEED to make the break - you are an adult now and you need to make your own life. Once you've had a break from home you will come back a better person.

So the issue is that i'm 24 and unemployed with savings of 8k in the bank and I've been thinking of heading to Australia for a year (or two) on a working holiday. I'm just wondering though is it really a good idea?

See the way things are at home is not ideal. I've never lived out of my own home, my social life has stagnated to the point I only have 3 friends (2 of whom I'd only see about once every 2 months) and I've not been in a relationship since I was 21. So loneliness is a big problem for me. I also don't really know what I want career-wise. I've worked for 9 months in a job related to my college degree and hated it. But i'm just wondering is it wise to run away from my problems like this? If I go off for a year or 2 fair enough I might have a great time but the same loneliness issues could hit me as soon as I come back. And also there's a good chance I'll still be in a position where I don't know what career I really want.

The issue of 'loneliness' and (trying to run away from your problems) is the thing that (slightly) worried me about your thread. I"m not trying to discourage you from coming to Australia. In fact I hate it when people change their minds, especially after reading negative posts on PIO. But it might be worth talking to somebody, your GP perhaps, for some advice. If you have problems making friends in England, it may well be the same in OZ, or anywhere else.

I think it's the same for people living here, by the way. Not for everybody perhaps. Some people hate it in Australia, go back to England, and life is perfect. Others find it is the same, and regret going back.

I'm suffering similar feelings of stagnation at times now, wondering what to do with the rest of my life, with no job, not yet retired. I'm working my way up to getting into my car and taking off. In the meantime, I'm taking off to the beach.

I get the sense, from reading your posts, that you tend to look at the negative side of life. You have given good reasons to not do anything, but remain unhappy with the status quo. If that is the case - if - then coming to Australia would be fun, a lot of fun, with opportunities and openings for the future, a place to kickstart life. But the tendency to dwell on the negative side would negate the opportunities, and you would be left with the feeling you had wasted your time, and would feel bad about yourself.

I would suggest you do seek some advice about how you manage your internal - psychological - life, before you do come here. It might make your time in Australia more interesting and profitable for your future.

What have you go to lose mate? 24, no ties, few friends, don't like your job, no social life. Get the WHV as soon as you can and get out here. It will change your whole outlook on life and you might find your parents are very supportive if you mention it to them. They must know you are stuck in a rut and would probably be glad to see you do something about it.

Good luck.

I get the sense, from reading your posts, that you tend to look at the negative side of life. You have given good reasons to not do anything, but remain unhappy with the status quo. If that is the case - if - then coming to Australia would be fun, a lot of fun, with opportunities and openings for the future, a place to kickstart life. But the tendency to dwell on the negative side would negate the opportunities, and you would be left with the feeling you had wasted your time, and would feel bad about yourself.

I would suggest you do seek some advice about how you manage your internal - psychological - life, before you do come here. It might make your time in Australia more interesting and profitable for your future.

You're right I am quite pessimistic like that. I think it's just natural though to be doubting it. Fair enough it could be amazing but if I'm having issues over here who's to say they won't follow me to Oz? Then again, maybe I'll turn into a different person and kinda force myself to interact more as the alternative would be being over the other side of the world on my own not talking to anybody. I really don't know.

I'm not a pack backer (little too old for that)

but I have moved a few times out of my comfort zone. Making friends doesn't come naturally to me either but the good thing about coming somewhere new is it is just that, new. No matter how difficult it feels, just hold your head high, take every opening as the chance to meet people.

come to Aus, use the fact that you've had the guts to do it, and just get out there and have a great time. Honestly leave the insecurities behind, its a new world and a new place. You will meet loads of people in the same boat

I think this is exactly what you need and you should see it as an opportunity!

Let me give you a view from the other end of the spectrum. I'm 23. I have a job that is secure, well paid and give’s all the great benefits such as paying my pension contribution and private health care. I own a nice car and have multiple groups of friends along with a close family. This for some people is all they need and they're happy and content to live out their days like this. That’s fair enough. However for me it is not. I enjoy adventure and love meeting people! Although I have many friends around me the thought of just ticking over in life and not seeing what the world has to offer seems like an opportunity missed!

I was once asked the question, which would you regret more? If you left everything behind, moved away to travel, found out it wasn’t for you and had to then come back to nothing or grow old and look back thinking that you never tried?

So in answer to your first question, 'On the one hand I feel like i'm at an ideal age to do something like this and it could be an incredible experience but on the other I feel like i'm running from my problems?'. For this opportunity I'm packing in my job, selling my car and leaving my friends and family. So these 'problems' you have are not problems, they’re freedom. Freedom to do what you want, go where you want, when you want!

And in answer to your second question, 'And who's to say I won't be lonely in Australia?' Me! :) Travelling and working abroad is potentially the best way to meet people! You'll be talking, working, singing, drinking, dancing, laughing, travelling and whatever else you enjoy doing with new people all the time.

I’ll leave you with my favourite lyrics: Life's for the living, so live it.

I think this is exactly what you need and you should see it as an opportunity!

Let me give you a view from the other end of the spectrum. I'm 23. I have a job that is secure, well paid and give’s all the great benefits such as paying my pension contribution and private health care. I own a nice car and have multiple groups of friends along with a close family. This for some people is all they need and they're happy and content to live out their days like this. That’s fair enough. However for me it is not. I enjoy adventure and love meeting people! Although I have many friends around me the thought of just ticking over in life and not seeing what the world has to offer seems like an opportunity missed!

I was once asked the question, which would you regret more? If you left everything behind, moved away to travel, found out it wasn’t for you and had to then come back to nothing or grow old and look back thinking that you never tried?

So in answer to your first question, 'On the one hand I feel like i'm at an ideal age to do something like this and it could be an incredible experience but on the other I feel like i'm running from my problems?'. For this opportunity I'm packing in my job, selling my car and leaving my friends and family. So these 'problems' you have are not problems, they’re freedom. Freedom to do what you want, go where you want, when you want!

And in answer to your second question, 'And who's to say I won't be lonely in Australia?' Me! :) Travelling and working abroad is potentially the best way to meet people! You'll be talking, working, singing, drinking, dancing, laughing, travelling and whatever else you enjoy doing with new people all the time.

I’ll leave you with my favourite lyrics: Life's for the living, so live it.

I suppose but like you've already proved you can build up a social life so in some respects it's easier for you to do. You're clearly naturally more sociable than myself, in fact you seem like the stereotupical person I compare myself to to on the likes of Facebook. Going to oz will be fine for you socially.

I'm coming from an introverted background where my friendships for the last 2 or 3 years have revolved around alcohol. You clearly have lots of confidence already from your successful lifestyle.

I've travelled before BTW, I've been to Thailand twice on my own but I suppose moving somewhere for a year is a completely bigger step.

You're right I am quite pessimistic like that. I think it's just natural though to be doubting it. Fair enough it could be amazing but if I'm having issues over here who's to say they won't follow me to Oz? Then again, maybe I'll turn into a different person and kinda force myself to interact more as the alternative would be being over the other side of the world on my own not talking to anybody. I really don't know.

Get off yer R send and stop feeling sorry for yourself...

Cheers, Bobj.

Wow you sound really like me in a lot of ways. I say go for it if its something you really want to do. Believe me time goes quickly - I've wanted to go to Australia on and off for years and that's me just getting around to it. I still have days where I doubt wether I should go and wether I should just stay here and "grow up" because all my friends are having babies, getting married, mortgages etc. If your not sure what you want to do with your life then I reckon its the perfect time to go. You'll hopefully come back home with a better idea of what you want. That's what i'm hoping for me anyway. I'm like you with friendships too - most of my friends I've known since I was 5 years old and now they've drifted away a bit for the reasons mentioned earlier. When I do see them it just involves alcohol other than my best friend. I find it hard to make friends too because i'm not as outgoing as other people. I really think moving out to Australia for a year could bring you out your shell - you'll have to introduce yourself to new people etc. It'll probably help loads but remember not everybody is super outgoing and friendly anyway.. your bound to meet people exactly like you!

I'm a only child too so I know what you mean but we aren't abandoning anybody - we all have our own life to lead and your only going for a year or two anyway. You might be lonely in Australia but I bet you wont be, you'll probably be far too busy making friends and seeing/trying new things! Just try and make it the most fun filled year you possibly can :cute:

Answers:

1. They will follow you

2. You won't turn into a different person

But you can change that - to do so, you need to start to change your thinking. Do that, and come over as soon as you please. Do not do that - and you are better off staying at home.

• 2 weeks later...

The replies on here have been very positive and got my psyched up about going but I was brought crashing down earlier when I read a reply to a post of mine on a different website. I was basically told I'm an idiot for wanting to go to Thailand for a month wasting a chunk of my savings doing nothing useful.

And apparently I'm even more stupid for contemplating going to oz with no idea of what job I want. I'm apparently just throwing my money away.

I didn't take the stupid jibes personally but it has made me reconsider. Am I just blowing my money with this plan?